Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hawthorn hedge

Options
  • 18-05-2020 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    I've got a Hawthorn hedge around the house, planted 4 years ago, but really after taking off this spring, so much so that I'll need to cut it back to shape it, I'd imagine it's not the best time to be cutting though? Should I wait until the autumn or work away?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

You might disrupt some birds nests at this time of year so it might be better to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

There will be no nesting in a 4 year old hedge. Plus it’s a domestic hedge so you can cut it as often as you like any time of year.

Would be best done in autumn but you will get perfect results cutting it now.

Do some research on laying the hedge during it’s dormant season. It gives a massively better stock proof barrier and thickens it up immensely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭blackbox

jfh wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I've got a Hawthorn hedge around the house, planted 4 years ago, but really after taking off this spring, so much so that I'll need to cut it back to shape it, I'd imagine it's not the best time to be cutting though? Should I wait until the autumn or work away?
    Thanks

You are going to be doing this every year if you want to keep it "tidy".

Buy in a good stock of plasters and antiseptic!

I am in the (slow) process removing everything with throrns from my garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

blackbox wrote: »
    You are going to be doing this every year if you want to keep it "tidy".

Buy in a good stock of plasters and antiseptic!

I am in the (slow) process removing everything with throrns from my garden.

I give ours a rough trim every year with a hedge trimmer. It’s no big deal. Use a garden rake to gather the dross and you don’t need to handle it at all.

Definitely need to gather it all though I’ve gotten a puncture on the lawnmower from the thorns.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

If it’s been growing well you might have bird’s nests! Everywhere I turn in my garden I am finding them.
    Winter is probably the best time to cut it back when there are no leaves and laying it is a great idea but not for the faint hearted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

It's a great source of nectar and pollen for bees. Keep it and get a couple of hives.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

Talking about bees, I noticed this year that the common willow was a great hit for bees, pittosporum is always a hit too and it smells wonderful if you have it near the house and don’t clip it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Why would you cut a hedge when it's in flower.
    leave it to winter when it's dormant.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭qaz123

Hi there,
    Thanks

Would you mind posting a picture. Thinking of planting one next winter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

qaz123 wrote: »
    Would you mind posting a picture. Thinking of planting one next winter

Mix of Hawthorn, Holly and Rose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

Mix of Hawthorn, Holly and Rose

Can't attach file, too large

Advertisement