Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surrogate babies stranded in Ukraine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

If the surrogate mothers are not forced then its their body their choice

What about the baby?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

splinter65 wrote: »
    What about the baby?!?

That has nothing to do with the woman's choice to get pregnant

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

they were doing it in Babylonia man

Does that make it ok then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭Treppen

If the surrogate mothers are not forced then its their body their choice

Then why are all these surrogacy farms in areas of severe poverty?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭Treppen

august12 wrote: »
    Let s/he without sin cast the first stone:
    This makes for an interesting read, how many of us here buy clothes from any of these brands?

https://www.gallantintl.com/blogs/your-clothes-are-exploiting-workers

Now let's talk about exploitation.

Bit of a straw man argument there.

Oh look at other things that are bad so it makes this equally bad which...is good?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

That was one of the saddest things I have ever seen and there's a reason this is illegal in many countries.

Absolutely tragic situation for those babies, the staff, the surrogates and prospective parents.

It shouldn't be allowed, it was like the lady doing the video was featuring in an ad for a luxury timeshare.

I was disgusted by it, those poor children. Nothing more than a baby farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

If someone's sister did it for her sister could not conceive a baby, would there be any problem with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Babies born into the world to be sold. Barbaric practice.

That was one of the saddest things I have ever seen and there's a reason this is illegal in many countries.

Absolutely tragic situation for those babies, the staff, the surrogates and prospective parents.

It shouldn't be allowed, it was like the lady doing the video was featuring in an ad for a luxury timeshare.

I was disgusted by it, those poor children. Nothing more than a baby farm.

Do you think adoption should be allowed?

Do you think adoption should be allowed?

If a child that's already born is given the opportunity to have a family (where none exist or its not possible for them to keep it) then yes.

But it's very different than planning to exploit some impoverished young woman who risks her physical and mental health to provide a child in return for cash.

How anyone can raise a child borne out of that I don't know, it's pure selfishness.

• Advertisement

So we have no right to criticise people who steal to feed a drug habit, unless we have a drug habit ourselves? Etc?

Rubbish.

Womb rental is wrong, end of story.

It exploits the baby carriers and creates a market for breeding children to order.

I agree with you. But the poster was having a pop at a mother who had to resort to using a surrogate due to her inability to carry a baby. It’s a very emotional subject and just because her father is high profile it doesn’t give anyone the right to talk about them in such a way b

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Until you’ve been unable to have a baby yourself, you have no right to criticise others who find themselves in this unfortunate, soul destroying situation.

bullsh!t

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Lyan

Tyrannical to allow free individuals to bring a child into the world to increase the prosperity and happiness of the parents, but also tyrannical to ban parents from gorishly aborting their children for their prosperity and happiness. I don't think I'll ever understand the Irish and this seemingly new definition of "liberalism".

lawred2 wrote: »
    bullsh!t

Why? Because it’s not your viewpoint?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Until you’ve been unable to have a baby yourself, you have no right to criticise others who find themselves in this unfortunate, soul destroying situation.

Of course we have a right to criticise. There is a reason that it's banned in most countries. The absolute entitlement of people to have a baby is not more important than impoverished peoples lives.
    Adopt, foster or just accept it.

Of course we have a right to criticise. There is a reason that it's banned in most countries. The absolute entitlement of people to have a baby is not more important than impoverished peoples lives.
    Adopt, foster or just accept it.

You think you have the right to dictate what a woman does with her womb?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Unless there is varifed extenuating circumstances you should not be allowed to buy a foreign baby and register the child/children as Irish citizens or be allowed to bring a foreign born baby through surrogacy here ,
    It should be outlawed ,it's amazing how we get the excuse we can't adopt here (no perfect blue eyed newborns to be had ) plenty of other children here need families but not good enough for the well to do ,

Willingly?? I bet if they had any other choice it wouldn't be to be someone else's baby incubator.

Money, money, money that's all those baby factories are about.

No better than human trafficking.

Why? Because it’s not your viewpoint?

Surrogacy with a willing sister, relative, friend etc I'm all for that

Taking advantage of those in lesser socio economic situations is not right in my mind.. Especially when a lot of these cases will involve local mafia run operations...

Maybe you've no issue with rich people taking advantage of such vulnerable poor people in this way.. Not much of a viewpoint that I'd have much respect for personally. No amount of personal pain gives you a free pass to cause pain for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Yes, that's what this about. Women's rights to be farm animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

At what age should it be restricted? 1 month? 12 months? 12 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,984 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes. Because it involves the life a child, not just the sperm and egg donors and womb-for-rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,343 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The late late show had a seriously warped interview with Rosanna Davidson who did exactly this - went off to Ukraine to buy a surrogate.. I found the whole thing seriously off yet the LLS was all in with the attempt to paint it as a wondrous happening.

I'm not surprised this has happened... treat women and babies as a for profit industry and you're going to get some nasty unintended consequences..

I wonder are they squirming now?

Are you for real?

The woman could not carry a child. Desperately wanted to be a mother. Chose the only way to achieve this. Surrogacy...

Warped? Yes, maybe you are, for thinking this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

Surrogacy with a willing sister, relative, friend etc I'm all for that

Taking advantage of those in lesser socio economic situations is not right in my mind.. Especially when a lot of these cases will involve local mafia run operations...

Maybe you've no issue with rich people taking advantage of such vulnerable poor people in this way.. Not much of a viewpoint that I'd have much respect for personally. No amount of personal pain gives you a free pass to cause pain for others.

That's capitalism 101.

That's capitalism 101.

:rolleyes:

walshb wrote: »
    Are you for real?

The woman could not carry a child. Desperately wanted to be a mother. Chose the only way to achieve this. Surrogacy...

Warped? Yes, maybe you are, for thinking this..

Nope.

Buying surrogate women in the control of organised crime does not have a rosy upside.

Amazing how some seem to think that their misfortune gives them free rein to do what they like they others...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

:rolleyes:

No real response? Not surprised. The constant bleeding heart "but what about the poor" liberal nonsense doesn't really stand on it's own merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,343 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nope.

Buying surrogate women in the control of organised crime does not have a rosy upside.

Amazing how some seem to think that their misfortune gives them free rein to do what they like they others...

Are you also anti egg donation for women who cannot conceive naturally?

What does it matter where or who for surrogacy?

They got their dream off a surrogate in a foreign country. Big deal..

I see from another post that you wouldn’t object if the surrogate was a relative or friend?

How much would a woman have to be worth before she can choose to be a surrogate. Only women who earn over 50,000?

• Advertisement

Nope.

I actually wonder how people who take part in those baby mills justify it to themselves.

What do they tell themselves to make it seem like this is an OK thing to do?

Advertisement