Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

forgot to declare SORN UK

Options
  • 18-05-2020 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

all,

I bought a car in March in the UK - have the V5 etc but left the car there till she is thirty - July

My intention was to have it MOT'd and then Tax it and take it for a bit of a road trip round the lake distract before coming home with it - although things have changed a bit !

Anyway didnt I forget to mark it as SORN and I am not sure if I will be able to tax it for the drive home - ( I know I can have it shipped ) or what the story is

anyone any experience of this ?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Nearest I got to this was:

Bought a car last October, taxed it, insured it and used for a few weeks. I was going to go back, but didn't and I couldn't SORN it online as the Doc Ref number is required to do it online and I'd left the V5C in the car.

So roll on the 24th November and I phone the DVLA and all I can do is to post in a paper V890 SORN. Scrambled down to the PO and hoped that they would get it before the end of the month.

1st Dec another DD is taken, same 1st Jan and again 1st Feb. Eventually get to the house 8th Feb and sift through the post. My SORN was returned stamped and with a covering letter stating that "as the car hasn't been taxed since 1998, it doesn't require a SORN".

Ring them again and explain their error and that my V890 is stamped 28th November along with explaining the delay in getting back in touch with them about it. I was able to send the photo of the V890 and deal with the matter by email. They conceded their error and said that they would issue a refund for 3 months overpayment.

They've stopped collecting the DD but I haven't seen the refund as they issue those only by way of cheque...and I haven't been back to find it/cash it.

All I can suggest is this:

1) Phone them and explain the situation.
    2) Declare SORN online if you can.
    3) If you can't do that then download and print a V890 and fill it out and post it to them with a begging letter.
    4) Just take any losses for not fulfilling your statutory paperwork duties on the chin.

If the vehicle is uninsured then you may fall foul of Continuous Insurance regulations. If a vehicle doesn't have a SORN in place, it MUST be insured. (Fortunately I was insured until 14th March so was covered for the period)

Advertisement