Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommendation for decking at back of house

• 18-05-2020 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Few questions
    1. Anyone have any Recommendation for decking at back of house (21 feet x 8 feet), im torn between wood or composite/pvc.
    I don't want too much maintenance to do on it yearly.

2. Based out in Dublin 15, so looking for someone to measure, supply and fit.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

baegan wrote: »
    Few questions
    1. Anyone have any Recommendation for decking at back of house (21 feet x 8 feet), im torn between wood or composite/pvc.
    I don't want too much maintenance to do on it yearly.

2. Based out in Dublin 15, so looking for someone to measure, supply and fit.
    Go with composite decking.you will pay more now but you will save in the long run. with no painting or sanding or worse rotting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Composite and nothing else.
    Wood will eventually rot, composite will be still around 20+ years.
    Also no point in spending truckloads on composite decking and getting a base that will be rotten in 10 years time when the composite is still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭manatoo

Composite. I've just spent 2 weekends trying to revive timber decking less than 8 years old. They're warped, splintering, uneven coloured and like an ice rink when even the slightest bit damp. After spending €100 on oils and new bolts I'll be lucky if it lasts another 2/3 years before it's firewood. Joke, it's not even usable as firewood.

I don't know how much more composite costs but it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

manatoo wrote: »
    Composite. I've just spent 2 weekends trying to revive timber decking less than 8 years old. They're warped, splintering, uneven coloured and like an ice rink when even the slightest bit damp. After spending €100 on oils and new bolts I'll be lucky if it lasts another 2/3 years before it's firewood. Joke, it's not even usable as firewood.

I had a price for composite decking in Dublin 15 last week, €4500 supply and fit for 26m2. Needless to say I won’t be proceeding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

manatoo wrote: »

I'm in the same boat.
    I don't know how old the three sets of decking on my house are (only bought the place last year), but they're all lethal when wet, even when regularly pressure washed.

I'll be switching to composite when funds allow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭tedimc

Go composite - but be careful which one you pick as apparently some of them have issues in frost and warping.

I've priced Saige decking with a local supplier. Allow 40-85 euro per meter2 (+VAT) for the decking boards depending on style and 30-38 euro per length of alu decking joist.

Needless to say, these are just supply prices and you will need to factor in other things like screws, concrete, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baegan

A fella from work recommended getting stone paving down instead..anyone recommend paving over decking and an installer

Advertisement