Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2020 car buying

• 19-05-2020 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am looking to buy a used car (Budget about €10000). I was told to buy a high engine diesel as I do about 25000 km /year over the M50 Dublin.

But there is talk of (a) diesel cars getting kicked off the market and (b) the cost to fix them if the filter gets clogged ect..

My question: Is 25 km/year enough to benefit from a Diesel? (It is M50 driving so baring in mind sometimes there might be bumper to bumer traffic)

Maybe 25 km/year in a petrol car is cheaper considering the cost of repairs/ parts/ service for diesel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

Ineedinfo wrote: »
    I am looking to buy a used car (Budget about €10000). I was told to buy a high engine diesel as I do about 25000 km /year over the M50 Dublin.

But there is talk of (a) diesel cars getting kicked off the market and (b) the cost to fix them if the filter gets clogged ect..

My question: Is 25 km/year enough to benefit from a Diesel? (It is M50 driving so baring in mind sometimes there might be bumper to bumer traffic)

Maybe 25 km/year in a petrol car is cheaper considering the cost of repairs/ parts/ service for diesel?

As you will be driving the diesel as it was intended the risk of issues is much lower as it's getting the drive it needs...

The biggest problems with diesel is those that bought and have no need for them hence so many are going back petrol after 10 years or so.

with anything in life there is no guarantee with anything that it will be reliable and trouble free.

Do your homework, pick out 2 or 3 cars. Check them out, drive them and get it looked at as even if fresh NCT doesn't mean the car is any better it's just it was ok on that day of test....

You need something comfortable so id be loking at what we have recommended and work up to likes of an Audi A6 or Skoda superb or something that will be super comfortable...

Go for something as new as possible that you can afford, just because you purchase off a garage doesn't mean it's any better or covered all depends on the price as with low end cars they aren't going to be doing much to look after it....

Get yourself the Laguna or megane or fluence and it will do you for a while and move on up ...

Advertisement