Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this, can I cut it back?

Options
  • 19-05-2020 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi all,
    This is in my garden, one of them is bushy, and one of them looks like it got too long and fell over and is lying down. Can I cut them back without killing them? Do they need much watering?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭Zardoz

rothai wrote: »
    Hi all,
    This is in my garden, one of them is bushy, and one of them looks like it got too long and fell over and is lying down. Can I cut them back without killing them? Do they need much watering?

It looks like a Hebe

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭rothai

Deadly thanks a million, it's in trounle I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Definitely a hebe. They don't need much at all in the way of watering, just normal rainfall is fine for them. This one seems to be very "leggy" - with bare lower branches. Most hebes will regrow after some pruning but it's not guaranteed. To be on the safe side I'd cut about half this year and half next and if we get a very hot and dry summer just be sure to keep it watered now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Stephen93

rothai wrote: »
    Deadly thanks a million, it's in trounle I think

Definitely a hebe.

It's how they go unfortunately, stretched and empty looking. Not a lot to do for it to help it fill in.

If you wanted to take a risk with it you could cut it back to 6 to 8 inches and feed it every 10 days with a liquid feed now that frost is gone and hopefully get a flush of new growth. Its is not guaranteed to come back but likely it will at this time of year (what have you got to lose)or leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think you have to regard hebe as short term/disposable. They do look good and can last a good few years but eventually they all seem to give up the ghost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Yes Hebe's are hard to grow properly,they need alot of sun and they will lean towards the sun if they are placed in the shade .
    Could be why your one is lopsided OP.
    It looks decent enough though.

Advertisement