Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband package - Downings - HELP!

• 19-05-2020 12:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, apologies I'm sure this has been covered before..

I started up my own business at beginning of 2020 and I live in Murlog, downings, just up on the hill from harbour bar etc.

I've had a crappy vodafone "dongle" that sits in the window and I'm about to tear my hair out because of it.

Zoom calls/skypes etc have been impossible with clients.

I've used switcher/bonkers.ie but I really don't want to take the gamble on a provider and then the service to be crap when I have it!

I've been coming up here for years but I only moved with my wife last year so we don't really know the neighbours well enough to ask such a question.

I've been on EIR/Vodafone/SKy/Virgin/Three website to check their coverage map, but it's hard to tell whether reception is good...

Thank you in advance!! Best quote I've gotten is €40 per month from Sky, €30 per month from virgin which goes up after 6 months.. a bit higher than i wanted to pay to be honest with you. My son gets cheaper and he lives in dublin city!!

They all try to sell you a phone line as well? which i don't have or want. it's really just for browsing/admin. I alreadyhave Sky TV.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is no Virgin in Donegal. Your options are phone line broadband (if available) or mobile data; or possibly a local wireless ISP. Phone line is vastly superior to those if you can get it.

A random Eircode on that hill suggests you should be able to get something acceptable by phone line but that's not guaranteed.

All providers will be using Eir's physical cables to connect to you so there are very few differences in quality possible.

Vodafone at least used to offer a package with no number on the phone line (so no ability to make calls) for slightly cheaper; I can't find it on the website now. They sell you the phone line as its physically required and its also easy money these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Thanks for that. Just had heard nightmare reports about Eir in other parts of Ireland. will maybe give them a try.

So what you're saying is, we can get a physical hub/router that sits in the house? Not this poxy little small thing we have in the window from Vodafone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Assuming the map is correct and the phone lines to your house aren't crap, yes.

Vodafone and Sky use Eir's lines - if they're coming out cheaper you may as well use them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mdudy

Fibre has been available here for a few years now - we got it installed recently and its about 40 times quicker. Well worth it, especially at the minute. You should be able to check your eircode on fibrerollout.ie to see if you can get. Sky should be able to give you a deal.

Nevermind, should have read above poster. Can recommend Sky for Broadband nonetheless.

Advertisement