Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I paint matt over sheen?

• 19-05-2020 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

I'm using 2 colours to paint a wall diagonally. I already did it in one room. I bought 1 litre for the diagonal part but didn't use a lot. So for the second room I thought that 2 x 250ml samples would suffice (in a different colour). However, silly me, the first sample I got was matt and the second one is sheen. It's for a child's room. Am I able to do the first coat in sheen, and the top coat in matt?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I'm using 2 colours to paint a wall diagonally. I already did it in one room. I bought 1 litre for the diagonal part but didn't use a lot. So for the second room I thought that 2 x 250ml samples would suffice (in a different colour). However, silly me, the first sample I got was matt and the second one is sheen. It's for a child's room. Am I able to do the first coat in sheen, and the top coat in matt?
    In a word... Yes this is no problem painting matt over soft sheen.
    If you haven't done it already it might be better to do it the other way around, for the simple reason it would be more durable.

Note... There might be a slight difference in colour as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Ceepo wrote: »
    In a word... Yes this is no problem painting matt over soft sheen.
    If you haven't done it already it might be better to do it the other way around, for the simple reason it would be more durable.

Note... There might be a slight difference in colour as well.

I haven't done it yet, no. The other paint colour on the other side of the diagonal is ceramic matt so I was thinking it might be best to have both in a similar texture, rather than one matt and one one sheen.

I could always get another sample I guess, they weren't expensive but if I could make it work this way I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I haven't done it yet, no. The other paint colour on the other side of the diagonal is ceramic matt so I was thinking it might be best to have both in a similar texture, rather than one matt and one one sheen.

I could always get another sample I guess, they weren't expensive but if I could make it work this way I would.

Gotcha.. Yeah might look better to do it that way alright.

Advertisement