Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I bring my dog to vet for last time?

• 19-05-2020 3:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭

I am sure this has been written about before but I would like to hear people's opinions.
    Collie almost 14. Beautiful and friendly. Never a cross word. Her head is beginning to loop to the side. She has been incontinent for a long time. We keep her in the garage at night and every morning I come down and see poo and wee everywhere. She has bad arthritis. She can only manage a short walk. Back legs dragging sort of. She has no quality of life really. It saddens me and the family to see her like this.

We brought her to the vet and gave her tablets but they are expensive on a long term basis. I can't sustain that.

What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

I think you answered your own question OP.

It’s a decision no one ever wants to make, but if the quality of your dog’s life is suffering, which it seems to be, it's the best option for all parties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Our boxer cross is almost 15 and has developed some issues due simply to her age. She has the usual heart problems as well as arthritis, she gets some small seizures and is developing dementia.

But she is the most loving, mild and sweet dog and our vet sees her often and is certain she is not in any pain. She still loves a short walk and wandering around the garden but spends a lot of time indoors now.

But it is an ongoing situation and we all agree that as soon as she starts getting pain or her quality of life suffers then we will need to act.

I think you have reached that point probably. Its not fair on your family or the dog. Losing a pet is not easy and I'm sympathetic to your situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

You have said it yourself OP - no quality of life, and you cant afford the meds - its the quality of life issue that should help making that horrible decision really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭treascon

Let her go. She’s had a good innings. Not an easy decision to make but the right one op. Been there so I can empathise with you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

I presume you have put your dog down very hard to do this but this is the time they need you most when its time to go and you can help them to get out of discomfort and pain. Best decision and you will make a space for another unfortunate rescue maybe in time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement