Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fibre Installation Issues (resolved)

• 19-05-2020 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I've been having some issues with fibre installation, which I see many others do. I wanted to share my experience, and hopefully help others.

What happened?

I live in a major urban town by the way. Weeks ago an engineer who visited my place said that there were some issues with cables, but it wasn't big, they would fix and pay for it.

What's happened since then is weeks of missed appointments and I'm left in the dark. Each week Open Eir arranged an appointment for router installation, then cancelled it telling me to go back to the ISP to get the cables fixed. That is already a backtrack on their saying that they will resolve it.

Then 2 weeks ago my ISP said they would take care of it. Appointments were missed again. Now the ISP is saying I should get the cables fixed and pay for it.

At one point the ISP again told me they will handle all of this and I was relieved when writing this. I'm updating this now as the ISP has since changed their mind on this.

I've asked the regulator for a third party opinion as there is a lot of changing of minds going on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 LaAlgerie

I have an update to this, and that's that maintenance work is scheduled to be carried out to fix the issue.

An engineer performed the site visit and said there was an issue with ducting on the public side of the property. That was fine with me. Weeks later, the ISP got in touch, bizarelly claiming that it was on the private side and that I needed to hire a technician and pay for this myself. None of that matched what the engineer said. I asked for the eningeer notes and was told that they weren't available. This back and forward discussion went on for weeks. That alone told me they were lying.

Out of the blue, a second engineer called, saying he was sent out, and his findings were exactly the same as the first. I took a picture of where he said the fault was and sent it off to the ISP. Now they say works are scheduled.

Bottom line is, the ISP was making false claims about the location of the fault and who's reponsibility it was. I told a mate of mine who works in telecoms and he said that the engineers would bill the ISP, so likely the ISP just didn't want to pay. Looking at offers out there, minus any possible maintenance works required, is that really all it came down to? They are cheaky bas**rds. I will get the fibre in, let they pay for the public works, the cheap offer on the contract and after 12 month contract is up I'll switch provider. They'll recoup nothing out of my contract for the lying and messing around.

Advertisement