Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using stud finder to locate live wires

• 19-05-2020 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Has anybody any tips to make this more accurate? I bought one that detects wires cables and metal but according to it whole walls have current, including places where I've already drilled and fixed into metal studs which is a little unnerving!

House built 1997 if that's relevant..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭cletus

mattcullen wrote: »
    Has anybody any tips to make this more accurate? I bought one that detects wires cables and metal but according to it whole walls have current, including places where I've already drilled and fixed into metal studs which is a little unnerving!

House built 1997 if that's relevant..

Thanks

Normally speaking, you'll only have electrical cabling running vertically either up from or down from a socket or light switch.

In general terms, electricians don't do long meandering runs of cable through the walls, so have a look at where the electrical fixtures are, and avoid drilling above or below

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Put your other hand against the wall if you are finding the whole wall is showing as having wires. Should make it less sensitive.

As the poster above said, wires should run vertically and horizontally from sockets and switches, or within roughly a foot of corners / ceilings / floors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

As above.
    I've used detectors in the past and found if you move out from wall and back in again instead of running along the wall, you may get a better result.
    Best info is stay away from electrical sockets/switches.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭mattcullen

awec wrote: »
    Put your other hand against the wall if you are finding the whole wall is showing as having wires. Should make it less sensitive.

As the poster above said, wires should run vertically and horizontally from sockets and switches, or within roughly a foot of corners / ceilings / floors.

This worked a charm. When I put my arm on the wall while doing it, it only registered voltage on the actual plug socket and in or around some sockets and switches on other spots I tried out so seems to narrow it down a lot. Great tip thanks.

Where I drilled before was about 3 inches to the right and about 3 ft above the nearest socket. I've read that generally speaking the area below sockets and above switches are the dodgiest but better to be sure.

Thanks for taking the time to reply all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭TigerTim

awec wrote: »

That's a good tip. Must try it at the weekend. I have one of those detectors & was going to dump it. If it was to be believed the whole wall I tested it on has pipes & cables running every which way. Only one cable coming down to light switch but it just alarms when there is nothing. Will test & update thread.

T.

• Advertisement
Advertisement