Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading a GPU

Options
  • 19-05-2020 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking of replacing my old GTX770 with an RTX2060. She's only just started to show her age though and was a brilliant card.

I have an old Gigagyte Z97X-SLI LGA 1150, though, and was wondering if the RTX cards would fit into it?

Thanks in advance for any help. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It will fit the MB alright but what you have to check is how much room is in the case. But afaik them 2060's aren't too long of a card but always check just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The case is huge. There's tons of space in there. It's a BitFenix Shinobi Full Tower.

bitfenix_shinobi_xl_006.jpg

The 770 is a pretty big card as it is and that fits fine. I was just wondering if there had been any changes in PCI-E connector tech and whatnot. I'd hate to blow a load of money on a new card and find out that the tech had outpaced me completely.

It's been so long since I've had to change any hardware that I feel like a total noob.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

No the card will work perfectly fine in Motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

What CPU do you have? If it's an i7 it wouldn't be too bad but a 4th gen i5 is going to hard bottleneck a RTX2060.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's an i7 4790k.

I'll probably be changing out the motherboard and the chip at some point this or next year too. I have to downgrade to Win 10 at some point as well I spose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement