Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vintage '79 3rensho racer brake issue

Options
  • 19-05-2020 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

I've just been given what I believe is an '79 3rensho racer by a family member moving back to usa, and absolutely love it. My only concern is the lack of stopping power from the shimano 600 brakeset. I've replace pads and still not enough power, you have to really squeeze the lever. Is this normal behaviour

I know they are a single pivot caliper and didn't know if the performance would be that bad. Was thinking of upgrading to ultegra 6500 brakes if that's what's expected as they are dual pivot but still vintage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

Lucky you. That’s a really nice bike and looks to have been well looked after.

Shimano 600 should give you all the stopping power you need. Check to see if the cables run freely by disconnecting at the Caliper end and seeing how the cable moves. Also check if the calliper moves freely by squeezing and releasing.

Are they properly adjusted. If the pads are too far from the rim you won’t get much purchase with any brake. Front one looks alright.

After that if you’re still not satisfied go for the upgrade. The dual pivot should give better stopping power.

However I have 600 brakes on one of my bikes and have full confidence in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Those tall pads are terrible, I'd look at changing out the holders and pads to a newer version.

A nice gift though that's really clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭5CHULZY

hesker wrote: »

Shimano 600 should give you all the stopping power you need. Check to see if the cables run freely by disconnecting at the Caliper end and seeing how the cable moves. Also check if the calliper moves freely by squeezing and releasing.

Are they properly adjusted. If the pads are too far from the rim you won’t get much purchase with any brake

I have these brakes on one of my bikes and have full confidence in them.

Didn't know what I was being given and had plans on turning into a fixie but once I saw, i fell in love with it. Surprised by the condition.
    Thinking of getting the frame resprayed as few chips and scratches

It has shimano 600 brakeset and cranks
    Gears are campagnolo novo record

Will stripped down and give a good clean and got new cables on order. Removed the lever hoods as completely perished and brittle. Dont know if to replace, keep bare or cover in bar tape. I'm gonna try and polish all the metal up once stripped

I know its personal choice but what do you think would look better. White saddle, cable housing, and bar tape or either yellow or black?

5CHULZY wrote: »
    I know its personal choice but what do you think would look better. White saddle, cable housing, and bar tape or either yellow or black?

White can look really well on some bikes but in your case I think black is best. The only thing I would change maybe is the saddle but I would still stick with black.

As for the paint I think a respray or powder coat or whatever would be a complete waste of money. Paint looks very good and could be made to really shine with the right cleaning and polishing products. I can possibly find a link if you’re interested. Chips can be touched up at little cost if you have the patience.

If you’re going to ride it any distance at all you’ll want to invest in some new hoods.

• Advertisement

Tan bartape and saddle would look very well on that. It would match the hoods also, take a look at the brooks range of bar tape. Their saddles are pricey but a charge spoon is a good compromise imo.

White can look really well on some bikes but in your case I think black is best. The only thing I would change maybe is the saddle but I would still stick with black.

As for the paint I think a respray or powder coat or whatever would be a complete waste of money. Paint looks very good and could be made to really shine with the right cleaning and polishing products. I can possibly find a link if you’re interested. Chips can be touched up at little cost if you have the patience.

If you’re going to ride it any distance at all you’ll want to invest in some new hoods.

My main issue is with the top tube. Looks like a chain has been wrapped around it when used. Did think about touching it up and polishing. I assume it's the same process as doing a car?

This is only going to be for riding around city and maybe a a few spins up howth. 35km at the most.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Tan bartape and saddle would look very well on that. It would match the hoods also, take a look at the brooks range of bar tape. Their saddles are pricey but a charge spoon is a good compromise imo.

Never thought of tanned. Will definitely look into it.

My main issue is with the top tube. Looks like a chain has been wrapped around it when used. Did think about touching it up and polishing. I assume it's the same process as doing a car?

This is only going to be for riding around city and maybe a a few spins up howth. 35km at the most.

I'd say it's been leant against a wall and slipped it might polish out.

Never thought of tanned. Will definitely look into it.

It'll match the tyres also :D

• Advertisement

That’s a pity alright if it is paint loss but I still wouldn’t respray the bike. Would be hard to touch that up and I think probably a job for a pro. I’d consider just covering with some lacquer to stop the rust getting at it and live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I did 70kms yesterday on a bike with a Charge Spoon saddle.
    Saddles are a very personal choice, but the Spoon is a great saddle at a reasonable price. Tan is the correct colour and match the bar tape.

https://www.merlincycles.com/charge-spoon-cromo-rail-saddle-106422.html

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I'd say it's been leant against a wall and slipped it might polish out.

It's on both sides unfortunately. Will have a closer look and see how bad

Are they properly adjusted. If the pads are too far from the rim you won’t get much purchase with any brake. Front one looks alright.

After that if you’re still not satisfied go for the upgrade. The dual pivot should give better stopping power.

However I have 600 brakes on one of my bikes and have full confidence in them.

Forgot to say. Brakes seem ok when you are on the drop bars, but when hands are on the hoods you dont get the same stopping power. Is this just the design fault in older levers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

Personally, I'd leave the paintwork as is. Polish up what you can, let the rest tell the story of the bike

Just a little update. Found out the bike was sold by a company called yellow Jersey in Wisconsin USA. Tracked it down by serial number. They've informed me it is an 86 3Rensho athlete

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Good work! That's a lovely bike. Would restore very well I reckon.

New cables and tyres fitted today and brakes definitely seem a lot better. Happy with them now.

New brown hoods on order and currently on the look out for a wheelset and front derailleur to match the originals, found the original component list

Just need to decide on seat and bar tape colour now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Now you can go crazy on velosaloon.com or hilarystone.com ;)

Type 17 wrote: »

Thanks will check them out. Just been on ebay and got a front derailleur in great condition for 25 plus 15 for shipping from france. Few wheelsets on there but the mavic rims are black. I would prefer silver but may not have a choice

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264717360017

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I'd be inclined to go for clinchers rather than tubulars.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Lovely bike.

(For the bike stand, I'd put a cloth or foam on the clamp to avoid scratching the frame).

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to go for clinchers rather than tubulars.

Yeah I'm not a fan of tubulars. Hard to find a wheelset that matches what I want. Might have to buy hubs and rims separately and get built

Lovely bike.

(For the bike stand, I'd put a cloth or foam on the clamp to avoid scratching the frame).

Will do next time. Top tube is marked any way but dont want to make any worse

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Lovely looking bike!

These wheels are half price now. ROADY50 code. Available with silver hubs/rims if you preferred original look although I think red hub/black rim would look nicer.

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/pave-ultra-road2-wheelset-uk-made-hubs.htm

Type 17 wrote: »

Thanks just ordered the selle italia 1980 turbo seat in brown leather

Advertisement