Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 safety measures could add 5-10% to house prices - CIF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Who2

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0519/1139398-construction-coronavirus/

I understand where this is coming from, but I think they will have to drop prices, not increase them to sell stock as the money wont be there to buy new houses in the next 12-18 months

The margins are thin as it stands, id say a 5-10% increase is being optimistic.A good few various crews who have returned to site are already trying to get out of some contracts as the restrictions and requirements are turning previously profitable contracts into loss making. The 350 covid payment is holding a baseline on a lot of the labour, while it is only temporary a lot of lads trying to get a few days cash in hand to make up the shortfall so its not going to be a case of squeezing the cost of labour there and the rises hadnt really got to 08 levels to allow for a massive drop.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The days of having your plasterer, tiler and painter in the one house at the same time are gone for the foreseeable.

This will add delays and ultimately cost to the end user.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I just dont think there will be a demand for new houses regardless of whether there was before CV19

People have lost jobs, lost their mortgage approval and they will be left with a stock if they get built regardless of previous demand

I'd go as far to say in 12-18 months prices will start dropping and if it was me I would be waiting another year before considering to buy as I'd imagine bargains will be had

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Probably should be moved to the A&P forum.
    Not really a construction question.

OP, there’s tons of these threads already here - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=38

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

In fairness, the CIF are hardly going to turn around and say that houses will go down in price seeing as the majority of construction, especially in Dublin/Kildare, is residential. They'd just be shooting themselves in the foot and wouldn't make sense.

If you're a developer looking into spending money on a residential site, you're hardly going to go ahead with it if the governing body of construction are turning around and saying you'll sell it for less than you would've pre c-19.

• Advertisement
Advertisement