Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

Exactly. 70k double vaciinated people mostly outdoors vs 40k who knows what vaciinated level roaring, shouting and hugging under a fine mist of covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

more like:

an event that lasts a weekend, takes a number of days to set up and dismantle again, serves alcohol, has camping, has attendees from all over the country

against

an event that lasts a couple of hours, a few hours before and after for set up etc, no alcohol (as far as i know anyway), attendees from mainly two counties

theyre not comparable. im not a GAA fan by any means (the games themselves nor the organisation), but at this stage the amount of complaining about the all-ireland is getting a bit ridiculous.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

do you need to be vaccinated to go to the match?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Yeah, I'm against the GAA comparison. I think those crowds should be allowed and the sports and entertainment communities shouldn't be pitted against each other. However, those crowds aren't parachuted into their seats beforehand and whisked away afterwards. Anyone in the North inner city last weekend saw the huge crowds milling around from early morning. Gangs travelling together, pints before and after. The notion that it was a socially distanced 2 hours for everyone is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i dont think so (ive no interest in gaa so i cant be sure), but i imagine the usual spiel of stay away if any symptoms and wear a mask everywhere apart from your seat will apply. not perfect and as mentioned elsewhere, there'll be loads of chances for spreading pre and post match in pubs etc, but its still a different situation entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,040 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Theyre not the same. As others have pointed out a game has people in designated seats. No alcohol on sale within the stadium. Its a one off match. People in the stadium for about 3 hours max. Totally incomparable to a weekend camping music festival with so much more risk of people mixing and interacting with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Well all excited today, charging loads of things and airing my tent out back, off tomorrow at 9 on the Feda O'Donnell to Letterkenny, the BE bus to Derry and finally Ulsterbus to Limavady for Stendhal festival. Taking both cameras so there will probably be a blog review which I'll post in this thread next week. I know some of the acts at the festival but maybe some of you will know other acts I can investigate. Sorry about size of image couldn't get it any bigger.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Im not comparing them, of course there are differences.

But there has been work done and risk assessments completed to allow 40k attend a match.

Have the same considerations been given to Music events? Have they even looked at it? carried out the same risk assessments and and come up with a ‘safe’ figure of how many can attend? They sure have not.

In time i think we will realize the catastrophic mistake that is being made in restricting anything where vaccinated people are involved. Its a complete failing and a surprise that vaccine take up is so high when benefits are still limited.

The main point in making though is my surprise that young people are taking this lying down and that there doesn't seem to be any backlash against it, and thats coming from someone who was never going, or even know anyone that was going to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Well there actually was mention of 3k jobs for local community on Today FM, not sure what anyone's issue with that is.

What it is was or could be isn't really relevant now anyway. I can understand the decision whether i agree with it or not.

Yeah there's a few young ones at EP, but the EP general demographic is late twenties and thirty onto middle age. There's not much rebel left in us when you hit middle age. If Oxegen was still on the go and it was cancelled you would see more of a backlash.

• Advertisement

I cant understand it.

If an event like this cant go ahead this year on medical grounds then it wont ever be able to go ahead, because there will always be cases of covid, and we know that not having festivals is not going to wash.

So the problem isnt the medical issue, its that the powers that be have not got any interest to apply the same reasoning behind holding live sports events to holding live music events, have not done the work that is needed to allow such events go ahead.

David keenan is class, not sure how well his voice and lyrics will come across at a featival, i would think he is more suited to an intimate venue but id check him out.

Looking forward to seeing Maca B, have never saw him before and he does great ragga and reggae stuff. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 12,767 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yeah sure, agree with you but a lot of things have gone back to normal-ish. Mass music events were always going to be last to come back. How many people at a festival like this is considered safe? We dont know as we've never done it before. Not 70k anyway. It was just too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

To be fair I agree with your argument but at the same time its no shock that a local authority did not approve 60k+ people to spend a weekend in a field with piss poor sanitation at a time people still cannot go in and see their kids birth (in fairness only the Coombe is still holding this approach) or before we can mix normally.

It appears the council had plenty of their voters contacting them to express concerns with it happening, being as they are their to represent the wishes of these people, I guess they did their job.

Would imagine that we will see day festivals and full sports events happening before any license is given for a weekend long camping event.

We have highly paid medical experts who can answer that question, but they have not been asked.

We held trial events and they have gone nowhere.

we have lots of data from foreign events that can be analyzed.

The problem is that the political will doesnt exist to do so.

Look at it this way.

Professional people who rely on this for their living and younger people who have sacrificed arguably the most over the last 18 months are being put further down the government's priority list than amateur sports.

The resumption of live music would remove more people from the PUP than amateur sports.

Both should be going ahead, but we know that there are more votes in people who follow GAA than festivals and the politicians needed a big long holiday so nothing is being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,767 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Live music is starting back up this week. Loads of the smaller venues running gigs. Dolans, Roisin Dubh, Workmans, Grand Social et al. And then Vicar St, The Olympia etc start up in Septmeber.

They shoulve cancelled the Picnic in June once the Delta came in. All the experts knew it would knock us back.

I dont agree.

Look at how many people will be attending those venues indoors and it will add up quickly to 40k.

The reason that is safe (safe being a relative term) is because they are vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

How many they add up to is irrelevant.

They're all separate.

It's about risk management. Kind of staggering how many people don't get that at this point.

• Advertisement

Its nothing to do with risk management, if it had then they would have granted lower numbers or stricter criteria, segregated areas, lower numbers, they would have actually looked at all the factors and analyzed that risk but that wasn't done.

everyone going is vaccinated thats all that matters

It has to do with the lack of political will.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

e: actually, it's not even worth bothering continuing this discussion.

Ah well back to some of our favourite festivals pics then.

Freetown Electric Picnic 2019

Global Green Area Picnic 2019

Cabaret Tent (Performer - Zera) - Freetown Picnic 19

Amelie Lens - Terminus Freetown Picnic 19

Freetown - Picnic 19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Those pictures make me smile and feel sad at the same time. I would so love it to go ahead in September but dont think it will. Keep them coming bodhrandude

This might have been my first filmed clip of a headliner.

Pulp - This Is Hardcore - Picnic 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Some EP stuff.

I forgot that I performed on stage in the B&S main stage with my friends in the Galway group GIRO playing goatskin tambourine. :)

From Electric Picnic 2015 filmed by my mate Kevin Keehan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Please provide the link. If that was quoted it's probably bad reportage as I've not seen that written nor referenced anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,559 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Where will we be come 23rd Sept? Well past 80% I'd imagine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Stop with your rational thinking. Facts mean nothing.

People in Stradbally are irrationally scared of 70,000 vaccinated people descending on their town. That is all that matters.

/s (in case you needed it)

Advertisement