Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Mucker46

No matter how much i am missing festivals and gigs that reading and leeds line up is awful. Hopefully not too much crossover with ep21 (fingers crossed it will be on)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Stillill42

everlast75 wrote: »
    Things are a bit raw after Berlin on Dame Street. But you're right. They could put a two drink price included with the ticket and work it that way.

Anyway, "slowly slowly catchy monkey". It would be one step further to getting gigs back.

(There is a whole other topic of the difference/ pros and cons between experiencing gigs sober and drunk)
    Maybe it's just the stage of the game I'm at. Most of my gigs are peopled by grizzled middle aged codgers who just happy to be still alive. A couple of anticipatory scoops beforehand and a couple to go with the post match analysis are the height of our ambition. I haven't been drunk at a gig in a long time nor is drunkenness a big part of most gigs I'm at. Anyway, as you say, every step in the right direction is a positive one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,545 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Maybe it's just the stage of the game I'm at. Most of my gigs are peopled by grizzled middle aged codgers who just happy to be still alive. A couple of anticipatory scoops beforehand and a couple to go with the post match analysis are the height of our ambition. I haven't been drunk at a gig in a long time nor is drunkenness a big part of most gigs I'm at. Anyway, as you say, every step in the right direction is a positive one.

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

C9BD2A26-BE18-4A05-8F13-50F40108EEB0.jpeg.99f0169187e2445088b997e87e369d24.jpeg

"Two main stages, no main stage clashes" what does that mean?

I know things aren't normal, but that's a pretty grim line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,084 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Christ that R&L is fupping awful, think i'd rather have a unlubed **** with a cheese grater

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Fatfrog wrote: »

Tbh i dont see the point in two main stages if there is going to be no clashes. Technically there will be clashes because say if Liam G finishes at 10pm and QOTSA start at 10pm you will still have to leave early from Liam or miss the start of Queens by the time you walk through the crowd.

But yea overall that is a woeful first announcement, there is a lot of people complaining where is female acts although 8/20 announced so far have been women.

Scruff sitting on the fence again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,084 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Scruff sitting on the fence again.

i have a nice smoothed arse groove in it at this stage.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Accurate, bar the lazy Oxegen reference.

And I guess I'm the only poster here yet to see King Kong Company.

http://https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/without-electric-picnic-summer-s-end-seems-strange-1.4335951

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/without-electric-picnic-summer-s-end-seems-strange-1.4335951

It was spine tinglingly accurate, really brought back memories (but yes cheap shot ref Oxegen)

Man when I think back to my first and early picnics, I was in a very different place personally, recently into the workforce, insecure, drifting and a little lost. The picnic was a f$$king revolution, an explosion of culture, inspiration (I think it took me 2-3 picnics to really appreciate and get me head around it)
    I know we never want a festival to end and it usually goes too fast, but those early years I really really didn't want it to end, not just because I was having so much fun, but rather I didn't want to go back to reality.

EP is pure escapism for me, it's almost a prescription. I must say I'm hugely lost this year, sweating at any threat to Ep21.
    (That was a little deeper than I expected sorry :p )

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Presumably like Waregem festival, the two stages are right beside each other, and while Band X plays on Stage 1, Band Y will be getting set up on Stage 2. It's like one big stage where there is only 5/10 mins between acts.

Great if you want to see loads and loads of bands without moving, but kinda takes the fun out of a music festival, if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Reading and Leeds 2021 lineups are out, well the headliners and a few others.
    RATM are not on it, so possibly no longer doing EP either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Tbh i dont see the point in two main stages if there is going to be no clashes. Technically there will be clashes because say if Liam G finishes at 10pm and QOTSA start at 10pm you will still have to leave early from Liam or miss the start of Queens by the time you walk through the crowd.

But yea overall that is a woeful first announcement, there is a lot of people complaining where is female acts although 8/20 announced so far have been women.
    Makes perfect sense to me. :confused:
    They do it at loads of festivals. Get to have more big acts/headliner-level acts on the main stages.
    At Primavera, 5/10 mins after an act finishes on one of the main stages, one starts on the opposite main one. Gets more big acts in in less time, not waiting an hour on the stage gear to be taken off, and new stage to be set up. Presume it's the same at other festivals.

557de510-3f8e-433e-ab2c-40b198a694c4-Parc_del_ForumAtmosphere_02_Rooftop_PacoAmate.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

Great to be back to dissecting festival lineups!
    At least from next week we'll once again have an EP to look forward to.

Having been delighted at Bicep being announced for 2020, it's very welcome that they are doing a paid (tenner) livestream, Saturday week.
    https://dice.fm/tour/bicep

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

They do it at loads of festivals. Get to have more big acts/headliner-level acts on the main stages.
    At Primavera, 5/10 mins after an act finishes on one of the main stages, one starts on the opposite main one. Gets more big acts in in less time, not waiting an hour on the stage gear to be taken off, and new stage to be set up. Presume it's the same at other festivals.

557de510-3f8e-433e-ab2c-40b198a694c4-Parc_del_ForumAtmosphere_02_Rooftop_PacoAmate.jpg

Wow, that's an entirely different Primavera to the one I remember, not been for a decade and that looks like an enormous festival now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭endainoz

It's common in australia too, the big day out festival has to main stages beside each other. I'd say it's more of a logistical issue for them though as it's lots of international acts covering the major australian cities in a short time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0901/1162475-late-late-to-mark-the-absence-of-electric-picnic/

So RTE are innovating by asking Hozier to play 3 songs before otherwise going about their show as normal. But because theyve mentioned the Picnic, we have to watch it just in case

Villain wrote: »

Jesus, Villain, what are you trying to do to us?! Doesn't it look beautiful? Self-pity is an ugly trait but man, am I wallowing at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

A group of, let's say 6, of us are getting together on Saturday for an EP themed garden party (drinking cans in the back garden, listening to tunes).

It ain't Stradbally woods, but it'll have to do until the real thing rolls back around next year.

It'll mean all the more when we do finally get back to the salty dog on the Friday, as these charming men get us off to a flyer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Hosted 'Gradfest' for my daughter who normally goes to EP (although not with me)

She normally stays in Jimi so I threw some rubbish around to make her feel at home!

M6GFew.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Turned into a good EP night!

jADhXx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Number 1 Dad!

That’s so lovely!

Cool idea, Davestator. Looks brilliant!

Hosted 'Gradfest' for my daughter who normally goes to EP (although not with me)

She normally stays in Jimi so I threw some rubbish around to make her feel at home!

M6GFew.jpg

I like the tent that's 1/2 pitched, going for authentic Hendrix, you just need to sprinkle a few empty cans around and have a soundtrack of "nice one brovaaaaa" on repeat.

Aha stages facing each other.

Still though, are you going to put the same level of equipment (I.e. lights, large screens, stage itself, cameras (if recording), extra security, fencing, generators into both sides? Great for the punter but what does the promotor gain, is it not just double the cost?
    Do they alternate all day, or just at peak?

Would EP have space to do the same? If it did, the lineup would need to be much stronger, if you take Friday last year with x4 acts on the main stage, I suspect the long "switch overs" helped to fill out the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kepler21

Aha stages facing each other.

Would EP have space to do the same? If it did, the lineup would need to be much stronger, if you take Friday last year with x4 acts on the main stage, I suspect the long "switch overs" helped to fill out the night.

I like the gap between acts on the Main stage; it gives me time to go to other stages. There is so much to do at EP apart from the main stage, I think it would take away from everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

Please make it stop.

Late Late to 'mark the absence' of Electric Picnic
    https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0901/1162475-late-late-to-mark-the-absence-of-electric-picnic/

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Tago Mago wrote: »
    Please make it stop.

Mevlin Ching Ching Benn will love this

Tago Mago wrote: »
    Please make it stop.

As far as I know, we're all supposed to go outside and clap at 9 o clock on Friday. Or was it leave a warm can in the window?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭rubick

No cans in the house, but you're allowed up to 4 in after the living room closes.

Advertisement