Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭Stillill42

It's been weird alright, EP being kicked around by every special interest group in the country. Depending on who you're listening to, it has come to stand for everything that's good/ bad in society. Still can't believe it's actually a runner but if it is? If it happens? I'll get in that paintball gate, shut the noise out and revel in the outpouring of joy that will happen when all the real music fans, the people that are completely drowned out in the furore gather in front of a stage, in front of real musicians and get to do music and connection and feeling and emotion and stuff again. It'll be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The stadium is working like the EP comedy tent tonight had Ardal O'Hanlon, Deirdre OKane and now Tommy Teirnan. 😂

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Might snap up a tickets for the Robocobra Quartet next Thursday at Roisin Dubh, described in the blurb as ' a cunning marriage of jazz, spoken word and punk ' - the Quietus. and ' Fugazi meets Mingus ' - Drowned in Sound. https://roisindubh.net/listings/robocobra-quartet-2021-09-02-200000 Anyone heard of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Mucker46

The no gigs since Feb 2020 will make this so special and if it goes ahead i will revel in it. Even though i would have less time to research the line up i think i would revel in any live music.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

Jennifer O’Connell: The scramble to save Electric Picnic is embarrassing

Subscriber only

Arts sector has been ignored by cowardly Government afraid to make tough decisions

about 2 hours ago

https://www.irishtimes.com/polopoly_fs/1.1316273.1362060999!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/box_76/image.jpg There was an error displaying this embed.

Jennifer O'Connell

Music fans at the Electric Picnic festival in 2017: It is clear that, as far as many in the Government are concerned, Irish culture begins and ends at Croke Park. Photograph: Niall Carson/PA

Here’s your 2021 Electric Picnic checklist. One tent, one portable phone charger, multipack of baby wipes, one statutory instrument extending the Covid pass requirements to outdoor events, two ministerial orders designating the festival a pilot event and bypassing the mandatory 13-week notice period to Laois County Council, a consultation with the Attorney General, and a modicum of ambition by the Government.

Or as a few wags on Twitter suggested, you could just have put the Laois senior hurling team on the main stage, called it a GAA event, and thrown the gates open to 40,000 people. Vaccines optional.

GAA exceptionalism – visible again last Sunday as fans jammed the stands in Croke Park while the live events industry was left languishing at home with platitudes about how everyone “sees the urgency” of allowing the sector to restart – is nothing new. Cast your mind back to last summer and the insistence that the inter-county championships must go ahead to “lift the spirits of the nation”. Or the repeated inferences that breaches of guidelines and outbreaks linked to GAA celebrations were not proper breaches or outbreaks – not like the breaches or outbreaks caused by teenagers or the office workers filling Dublin car parks despite being told to work from home, or any of the other regular targets of National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet) ire.

It is now clear that, as far as many in Government are concerned, Irish culture begins and ends at Croke Park. As the summer winds to a close with no plan in place for the reopening of the arts and live events sector, it was inevitable that the Electric Picnic fiasco would offer a lightning rod for the frustrations of those who have been left without employment or a roadmap, not to mention the frustrations of those of us who prefer cavorting in a field to watching 30 adults chase a ball around one.

Learn more

Nphet back seat

But it was also interesting for what it revealed about the paralysis in the Government when it comes to making hard decisions. Sources have been briefing journalists about how the intention is for Nphet to take a back seat now that we’re entering a new phase of the pandemic, which would be all very well if the Government didn’t seem to have forgotten how to drive.

It was inevitable the Electric Picnic fiasco would offer a lightning rod for the frustrations of those who have been left without employment or a roadmap

The 11th-hour scramble to save the picnic – which was really an 11th-hour scramble to be seen to be making a last-ditch attempt at a final gasp to save it, ideally hoping to salvage a noble failure out of the shambles – was disingenuous and embarrassing. The Government blamed Laois County Council. Laois County Council blamed the Government. As Ministers prepared to meet on Friday to look at easing restrictions, the person with the power to amend the regulations without Oireachtas approval, Minister for Housing Darragh O’Brien, offered a non-committal “it would arguably be difficult to justify amending the regulations and to vary the current timeline provisions for the purpose of one specific event”. This, presumably, is the policymaker’s equivalent of “computer says no”.

The truth is there was no real appetite in Government or Laois County Council for the event to go ahead. But nobody wanted to be responsible for tolling its death knell either and, for once, Nphet wasn’t willing to take this one for the team. Earlier in the week, chief medical officer Dr Tony Holohan said he would not have concerns about an outdoor event on that scale for the fully vaccinated. That should have been a cue to Government that its strategy of winding down the clock wasn’t going to work, and it better start looking at ways to make the festival happen, or coming up with good reasons why it couldn’t. But the Government is still scarred and risk-averse after the experience of last Christmas, and Laois County Council is understandably worried about the possibility of a local surge. Fair enough – this isn’t Garth Brooks 2.0. Every decision about reopening while the virus still rages has real consequences and requires careful deliberation.

Passing the buck

But is our government so out of practice at governing that it couldn’t foresee how the juxtaposition of the All-Ireland going ahead while the fate of Electric Picnic still hung in the balance would look? Or have our policymakers become so used to passing the buck to Holohan they’ve forgotten how to make decisions by themselves? Denied the opportunity to blame Nphet for this one, Tanáiste Leo Varadkar tellingly reached for the next best thing – he said he’d ask the Attorney General.

Have our policymakers become so used to passing the buck to Holohan they’ve forgotten how to make decisions by themselves?

Meanwhile, the one Minister who appears genuinely invested in the survival of arts and live entertainment, Minister for Arts Catherine Martin, was excluded from key meetings about easing restrictions. On Thursday, she told Government figures that waiting for vaccination levels among the over-16s to reach 90 per cent, as Nphet has advised, would lead to an unacceptable delay to the reopening of the sector. The optics of her exclusion confirmed what those radio ads have been saying all week: the sector has been forgotten – and so have all the jobs, careers, incomes, livelihoods and individuals’ sense of purpose and mental wellbeing wrapped up in it. The Government is refusing to grasp the most basic facts about how the events industry operates. You can’t pull a large-scale music festival or even a modest play in a local theatre out of your hat in six months, let alone in less than a month. In this case, of course, that’s probably what Ministers were banking on.

Whether or not you were invested in this particular festival – the future of which was still unclear at the time of writing – the fiasco revealed the Government might want to be seen to have wrested back control from Nphet, but many would really still prefer someone else was making the tough decisions.

• Advertisement

If this happens we'll be running around in a panic airing our tents, I'll probably have to take up jogging to get myself festival fit again. 😁

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I'm lucky we've booked pink moon so no panic but yea I feel ill be struggling with the walking if it goes ahead 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

We booked it too but I wonder if they have already cancelled the camping for this year? Hopefully not...

I'm guessing not since PM haven't released anything to say they've cancelled? Id say if it gets cancelled/postponed again they will do the roll over again

Snerp Blunket and the Toodles from Outer space.

• Advertisement

Very quiet for Saturday night, still glorious weather though, what's everyone up to tonight. I appreciated Niamh Regan earlier although I walked around the stadium there is no way to glimpse the stage at all unless you live three storeys round there. Just skinning a doob and having a can in the back garden while I await Mary Coughlan, its great innit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭endainoz

Great that you hear the tunes from your backyard BD, especially great with the doob!

I think the place is quiet because we're all just waiting for.... something on Monday. I'm not sure what this will be, likely it'll be no EP and we could finally put an end to this bloody saga. Even worse it could be morphed into some silly government scaled down test event rubbish, which I'd have no interest in attending. But who knows, maybe we could get some good news. Miracles can happen, look at what happened with CR7 yesterday!

Maybe they'll use the Latitude example but with fully vaccinated, considering the cases and the attendance at Latitude.

Mick Flannery and Susan O'Neill on The heart of Saturday Night. Really like their album. Certs for any hypothetical EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

the only thing she missed is that NPHET is being disbanded so they can be blamed for everything and wont be able to defend themselves.

Ah yeah for sure, I have the vinyl preordered too.

I presume on Monday then we'll either get a poster for 2022 and festival cancelled or a slimmed down poster for this year with whatever can be decided. If nothing on Monday its back to banging our heads on the wall hahaha 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

I wonder how realistic it would be for them to move location?

I see Derry threw their hat in the ring too, over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Hugh O'Connell on RTE radio 1 there saying government plan is for outdoor events to go to 25% to 50% through September. Doesn't seem like much of a bonus when Croke Park already had 50% for hurling final. Representative from music industry was on same show earlier saying would need to be be least 80% capacity to be viable. Think events could only go ahead with 50% if it was backed by government funding but think they're moving away from pilot events with increased capacity so wonder how many gigs would be able able benefit especially with change from summer to Autumn.

• Advertisement

Well that would be a total waste of time. No way they're subsidising every small venue, no way small venues are running profitable events on 25 or 50% capacity. I really got the impression that they'd be getting much more than that on the proviso that they were running fully vaccinated events.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 teddybear73

In fairness I have been at a few league of Ireland Events and they have started at 100 and went up to 200 and now 500. GAA was same. The 50% went up from 10% to 25% to 50% over the course of a few events.

Also think the biggest difference as well is that no alcohol is served at Croke Park anymore at these games even in the premium section so that is one of the reasons they were allowed up to 50% I think. Can imagine non of the music promoters would want to open without alcohol sales. I think if they book a venue like Croke Park or Aviva they would stand on easier ground allowing even 50% capacity rather than trying to cram 70k into EP when it only had 55k capacity last time round.

It obviously wouldn't work in a stadium though, the EP site had been extended from the last year it was on so venue size would not be an option.

The no alcohol thing makes little difference really. You can guarantee that plenty of those attendees in Croke were drinking in the surrounding pubs before the game, it would be quite naiive to think otherwise.

Its more the queues in the concourse underneath the stadium that it stops a lot of queueing and gathering of punters.

To be honest i still dont know how EP could guarantee they would check vaccine passes and ID for 70k attendees. Its bad enough getting in on a Friday with only ticket checks. Even if the site is extended the traffic management and issues around getting in and out of the venue has never been tested on 70k. The last year I was at it at 55k it looked a bit overdcrowded and they were lucky a few times at the main stage during changeovers that there werent serious issues.

If they had gone with a 35k or 40k capacity might have made things a bit easier. If ATN can survive on a much smaller scale one thinks that it is greed from Festival Republic that is the problem here. They must make serious profit on a 70k attendance.

Well sure, they had a roadmap, spread out from early in the pandemic, building gradually through the stages. The events sector had nothing, bar a couple of photo opp one offs. They're emerging though now to a world where they can offer events to fully vaccinated crowds and should be allowed to go in at a far higher level.

Post edited by Stillill42 on

The two festivals really don't compare in terms of what FR pay for large acts compared to ATN. I have no doubt they make plenty of money from it but there's little point in comparing two very different festivals.

You say you were at EP the last time it was on so surely you noticed the new gigantic freetown and Terminus stages? Expansion was always on the cards for them. I would agree in terms of the overcrowding issues near the main stage that would need to be addressed alright.

It would also be pretty easy to get vaccine certs scanned the same time people get their tickets scanned upon entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Ah Reading is on this weekend 😪 it's like being a kid again " all my mates are allowed out to play but I'm not"

Just seen the news that reggae legend Lee Scratch Perry has passed, I'm really glad I caught his gig at the Picnic in 2012 and at the Roisin Dubh a few years later RIP Lee Scratch Perry.

Video clip the bass is fuzzy but the last time I saw him in Roisin Dubh.

Post edited by bodhrandude on

To be honest think Trenchtown is only a niche area that I doubt will get that big of a crowd they expect by the size of the extended area. If they keep going for bigger and bigger pop acts as seems to be the case the last few years it will mean more pressure on the main stage area.

What I have found the last few years as well is that they don't seem to have as many good headliners or acts from maybe 8pm onwards in he likes of the Electric Arena , Rankins Wood or Cosby Stages and as a result more focus on the main stage. Also given they lost Other Voices and Body and Soul and I felt it means even more focus on main stage compared to years past. Only my humble opinion.

Also disagree with the vaccine certs. Would be a recipe for forgeries as are they going to really check every cert against valid it. and even an extra 30 second per vaccine cert check across 70k punters would add seriously to the queue.

• Advertisement

Your forgetting other areas that's not specifically main arena, Global Green, Green Crafts, Rave in the Woods (Red Bull Stage), Hazelwood, Trailer Park, Mindfield, Carnival area, the new Mind & Body area that will make use of the Body&Soul main stage amphitheatre and all the other stages left intact, Saltydog and numerous other chill out areas. EP is like a conglomeration of small festivals with the main arena being its own playground and all the other areas functioning to keep a bit of control of the crowd. Even parts of campsites and even crew camp make their own miniature stages when the festival shuts down at 4 am.

Advertisement