Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭endainoz

Wasn't talking about trenchtown, I said freetown the new massive area they added in 2019. It's an area that could easily accommodate 10k+ people.

I'm not sure how you would forge vaccine certs as they would be tied to the ticket holder. And yeah there may be delays getting in, but so what? I really doubt anyone would care.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Yeah I couldn't imagine delays really its a simple bleep, green light, in you go while you collect your wristband.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

To do it right, it would be a scan of the QR code on the vaccine cert and a check that name matches photo ID. That would stop most of the forgeries.

It would mean people would have to have a recognised ID with them and ready for inspection.

Not the end of the world and easily managed by stewards in the queue. So there would be a bit of a delay, but not a huge one.

1 or 2 extra queues at each gate would help a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

From Reading, it mostly hip hop so I'll try and find some live bands.

Yungblud

Dana Dendata

AJ Tracey

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,555 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Sooooooo... is today D day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Folks I was talking to someone from stradbally yesterday and he was saying the village is 70/30 split AGAINST holding the EP.

And the older residents are completely against it.

the town shopkeepers and pub landlords are for it

a comment was made that obviously everyone who is granted entry to the festival grounds can be checked to ensure they were vaccinated but EP brings a crowd of - for want of a better expressions - hangers on, ppl who hang around the village itself with no ticket and no intention of heading in to festival unless they get a ticket/wristband somewhere.

they hang around near the pubs and local shops etc

And these are the people with the risk of spreading covid around stradbally

also it was said to me that stradbally has lost a lot of ppl to covid and people are very fearful still

I think it's fair to say at this stage is that their fears are unwarranted. It was failings of the nursing homes and the hse that they were hit so badly 20 odd months ago. This has been exacerbated by opportunistic councilors looking for votes that have been pushing this narrative for weeks.

The local businesses will be delighted with these "hangers on" if it means some business for them. Do these people really exist though? And if they do, how many are there. The closest thing to them I've seen would be local young people in the car park asking for wristbands off people leaving who obviously can't afford a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Oh there definitely does be a cohort of “hangers on” that attend EP. Some are sort of there for the craic, others are New Age traveller types, others artisan crafts ppl, and yes, others “up to no good” - I don’t mean to specifically target EP for this.

Any large music event gets a “raggle taggle” assortment of ppl who don’t intend going to the event itself but are there in the perimeter none the less

• Registered Users Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Think so. Denis Desmond on radio earlier saying decision needs to be made today. Think press conference due tomorrow but might be briefings to media this evening. Was thinking there was some chance but would think if it was going to be positive news, one of the "government sources" would have leaked the good news by now. CMO has put cat among pigeons a bit by saying NPHET don't have objection if everyone vaccinated so if government decide it can't or shouldn't go ahead will be interesting to see who they blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

I wonder if it does get the go ahead will they try push it out by a week or two?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't think so. Say they would need about 4 weeks usually for site at a guess but will be all on hands on deck if they get go ahead today or tomorrow. Guess date already set and into October nights would be colder and chance of worse weather.

I reckon we'll get leaked something alright, still think a full EP is unlikely, but it will be great for other venues and events to finally hear something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Has anyone an update on the drastic increase in cases that have occurred in Mayo, Dublin, Cork and Kilkenny owing to their recent matches in Croke park?

Surely figures have sky rocketed in those counties because people attended an event???

Yeah just think with the briefings already to media seems the ramping up for outdoor gigs seems at a slow pace over next month or so. Guess it could ramp uo to 100% capacity but think even with the new date it might be a bit too early for EP. Unless there is real political will for it to go ahead and have full capacity at football final with vaccine passes just so straight away GAA aren't lobbying government for an increase. But if the meeting is only today guess it's not over until it's over so still a sliver of a chance until officially hear otherwise. Just don't want to get my hopes up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

what the point in 'ramping up' outdoor gigs, after october theres never really any outdoor gigs til late spring. Would really be a bit of a p1ss take to try promote it as a win

Agree, but at least the indoor guys will finally get something.

Should be indoor ones too but not sure will they be on a lesser capacity scale. Just mentioned EP cause its an outdoor gig but yeah agree that after end of September outdoor gigs won't be as viable here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i thought it said outdoor events rather than gigs? very few outdoor gigs yes but lots of outdoor events

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Sounds like it will be a ramping up of live events so this will be good to see events actually coming back, albeit at a slow pace. If thus is the situation cant see EP getting go ahead which is disappointing however if this is the situation suspect we would have heard some leaks to this effect already so still have a sliver of hope for EP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Dates for easing live music restrictions to be given on Tuesday, says Coveney (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/dates-for-easing-live-music-restrictions-to-be-given-on-tuesday-says-coveney-1.4659763

• Advertisement

I'd say we'll have the gist of it leaked by this evening so.

Yeah the meeting with music industry finished before 12. Think there are more meetings at 2 so by 5 or 6 on would expect the leaks/kites to start flowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Stuart Clarke saying on twitter the meeting didn't go too well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Nialler9 tweeted that no dates or info was given by the government at the meeting this morning

god its nuts.

oops...edit ...... dates will given 2m at the briefing the public according to twitter.

The vaccine passes for GAA is a non runner.

logistically they wont have the ability to check everyone, contact tracing for an event like the all ireland is impossible the way tickets are swapped and change hands, people wont be registered in advance with contact details and the time and delays it will add to people queuing for entry into the stadium is as much of a risk as in the ground if not more.

electric picnic could have an online system in advance that cuts down on this and the same volume of people dont arrive simultaneously for EP that do for a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

on a side note, disagree about the gaa not being able to do that. for the rugby games in the aviva all the tickets were electronic and if you were selling/giving them away or whatever they had to be to a different account. staggered entry and exit times too. was still a bit lax in there cause you could seemingly move to any seat you wanted but at least it was something

• Registered Users Posts: 19,555 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The amount of "hangers on" will be seriously reduced this year I believe given how difficult it will be (and rightly so) to get in.

Also, these "hangers on" will not be permitted into anyone's premises unless the owner wants to. Therefore, them gathering outdoors in the town poses no issue.

As to who the Government will blame, it'll be the County Councillors. So, if the majority of the locals want it there, it'll happen. All they want is re-election.

The latest on EP from Catherine Martin is that engagements took place over weekend and still taking place. Clock is ticking at this stage so would think there would need to be a final call either way at end of the week at the latest.

The GAA tickets are paper tickets and physically issued to the county boards around the country.

They are then divided out to the clubs, who then allocate and hand them to individuals.

Plenty of people get their hands on multiple tickets and pass them on to other people.

I was offered two different sets of tickets before the hurling final, and had my hands on a pair the day before that were passed onwards. No tracing took place.

Rugby might have done it because the members are registered online already, but they sure are not for the GAA.

Do you think now that if you phoned up croke park and told them your seat number from the last game and that you have just tested positive that they would be able to contact trace those sitting around you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Have to agree re the planning obstacle and I see no way to over come this or the refused application. It would be a brave minister who contemplates tinkering with current legislation. There is of course current restrictions being lifted soon that could facilitate a new application but a new application it will have to be and based on current time frames, it would be late October at the earliest and I suspect with reduced numbers.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, this clutching at straws and kite flying on political circles is only giving false hope and is frankly absurd.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement