Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,553 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Sing me to sleep

Sing me to sleep

I'm tired, and i

want this put to bed...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭endainoz

Terribly weary, this thread should be full of optimism and excitement not all this stop start sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Your really missing the point.

Gaa are allowed large attendances. They have no requirement for proving vaccination or clear tests for admission. I dont have an issue with that btw, just pointing out how much they have been allowed

They are unable to provide contact tracing, there is no way on earth that the GAA can trace who was sitting where for any of thd matches played recently due to the system they use for issuing tickets.

Im not talking about Rugby. Im sure they can organise things effectively but its irrelevant currently because they dont have any events in.

EP are better able logistically to ensure only vaccinated attendees, and have contact training in place and this is another point that can be used to justify their event taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Does Enya actually tour at all, I always thought of her as a visual video artist rather than a touring musician, what did she play when she was a member of Clannad or was she just a singer.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I dont think she ever toured in a meaningful way, even televised performances were lip synced and such. Maybe the live show wouldnt live up to the production in the studio for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Maybe I'm being gullible here, but I kind of feel if it was definitely cancelled they’d have said by now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

• Registered Users Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Need a lot more than that to fit the bill though so would expect artists like James Vincent McMorrow, Pillow Queens, Niamh Regan, Mick Flannery and Susan O Neil etc etc.

I remember the tagline on the old VHS:

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free.

EP might be a bit early so if there's still going going be restrictions on large outdoor events by 22nd October but the 75% outdoor capacity from next week is positive. https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1432409369635921923?s=19 https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1432412529150541827?s=19

• Advertisement

Oh wow, it's good news anyway. The 75% capacity for outdoors is pretty subjective all the same though. Like easy for a stadium obviously but lots of room for interpretation from the point of view of a festival site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭LowOdour

The numbers (60% indoor/ 75% outdoor) still make no sense.

So, wonder where it leaves EP? It means that around 52k should be allowed entry. Enough for it to be profitable?

Not sure what the ceiling on capacity is for those events but guess EP would need permission to go ahead in first place and probably 100% capacity to be viable. Would say usually no news is good news but the default is that as it stands EP isn't going ahead unless there's a significant intervention. If there was thin government would be leaking to capitalise on good news like all the announcements so far this evening. Guess time will tell and should know within days either way. No point stringing organisers or people hoping to go with false hope at this stage unless there's serious effort to get it to go ahead imo.

It still changes little from the point of view of the license decision regardless of what that decision was based on. My fear is that FR might do a smaller sort of spin off event somewhere else instead maybe. Not sure if it would be something I'd be interested in.

BUT they have reapplied to Laois CC already so if they got some sort of reassurance that it would be granted and its just really a formality, (which it nearly always is anyway) then we could have something to be hopeful for. How gas would it be that they got that reassurance and they rejected the license again anyway. It would be one way to make sure FR don't return again!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

52k would probably help with a shorter build time.

In theory, it would mean the crowd could be more spread out. But there would still be spots where it would be just the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

70,000 people do not enter the town and would not put the "elderly" at risk. (I really hate this abuse of the phrase "elderly and vulnerable" for every fu.king reason under the sun)

Near 100% of age 60+ are FULLY vaccinated.

Only fully vaccinated people can attend.

The vast majority of attendees do not enter the town. They drive directly into the grounds and when they finish, they drive directly back.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

On a lighter note...

7 years ago today was the Saturday of the festival.

Portishead and Chic on the main stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,553 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

How many are day trippers for Sunday. They should be first to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Im no fan of Varadkar or FG but shoehorning them in there is entirely irrelevant, particularly given that there was no breaking of guidelines at the Merrion and the media/online palaver about the event is no more than insinuation and ‘us against them’ vitriol. Entirely unhelpful in a pandemic.

Were the government to list EP as a trial event and allow it to go ahead there’d be nothing cynical about it. They know they’ve let the music and entertainment industry down and are now trying to compensate for that. I’d hate to overrule the locals but I feel they’ve been badly represented by seemingly poorly-informed councillors. If it doesn’t happen I’m fine with that. If it does I’ll race you all to the Salty Dog.

Sure but fears are usually emotional response so may not be logical or rational. Think after everyone people have been through there will be an element of being cautious, some could argue overly cautious and conservative but understand the place it comes from and context while agreeing it seems irrational from the outside.

• Advertisement

Plenty of people have gotten refunds over the last year or so. Obviously we have no idea how many but it's definitely a possibility that 15 to 20k might have gotten refunds already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Not true. Loads of gigs happening at the moment. In Galway alone we’ve had ten days of acts on the Claddagh, four nights in pearse Stadium and a festival at Claregalway Castle commencing on Wednesday week (she loved me). Monroes has a dozen indoor gigs next month. This stuff is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Ruthless, Everlast, ruthless. Heads on pikes. That vaping crowd next.

I can see plenty of outdoor gigs getting thrown together over the next few weeks, this is good news folks, I thought we'd get much less than 75% to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I understand the reduction for smaller indoor venues, but what would the science say on risk of 52500 vs 70000, I would have thought at that level risk would barely increase??

• Registered Users Posts: 34 teddybear73

Remember anything over 5k needs a license which think based on the Laois county council reply is going to be longer than a month to get.

It looks like the 75% is specifically for Electric picnic at this stage unless a few gigs in likes of Kilmainhim or Malahide would be profitable to go ahead with 4999 punters. You had the Trinity series which I think is only around 5k and also Iveagh Gardens so maybe they could be a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 teddybear73

If they allowed 100% cpacity would then have all the sporting organisations looking for the same. Can only imagine what level of risk an 82k crowd at the All ireland final would cause. Presume they also have to factor in public transport risk etc

Another problem could be because pub closing hours are 11.30, would this apply to outdoor camping events too, as we all know the party normally goes on till 4 am at the Picnic, I suppose if the licenced areas closed at 11.30 surely live entertainment could still carry on to the early hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I think we all recall making that booze trip, walking miles back to the tent to get that booze (you probably didn't really need) when the bars used to close early!!

• Advertisement

Advertisement