Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

None, and I live in constant dread that they will be reassigned to evenings that don't suit! That's the only thing in the world that I am worried about, at the moment!

Oh to have the dilemma of clashing events next year.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Rfrip wrote: »
    i feel the opposite, i want to go to everything now...this pandemic has just made me realise how much going to gigs and festivals is really part of me and what i just adore. And il never moan about EP line up ever ever again

Its not just the going to the gigs, its the anticipation, the mulling it over afterwards, the chatting to people about it and yes, the discussion of it on boards.

As for moaning about the EP line up on this thread, thats the best part of all

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

If/When EP does get rescheduled again this time ill be asking for my money back along with Pink Moon. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Well this was my only music tee shirt this year and celebrates the life of Toots Hibbert, a victim of this fecking pandemic, but I couldn't resist it seems to be a lovingly done screen print.

77-toots-hibbert-1942-2020-toots-and-the-maytals-thank-you-for-the-memories-signature-shirt-Shirt.jpg

Nothing says loving like rushing to throw together some bootleg merch to profit from someone's death. all major credit cards accepted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭rubick

As for moaning about the EP line up on this thread, thats the best part of all

Suddenly Booting Teenagers up The Hole is relegated to mere second place.

Sad times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Was sad to hear about the passing of Eddie Van Halen, this brings me back to when I was 19 and I had their third album Women & Children First, yeah I know they were from California and there was a bit of hair metal in there, but I always considered them a notch above all the other American competition at the time. Anyway this was my first rock festival when Castle Donington was a one day event in 1984 and I'm glad to say I was one of the very few who managed to witness the original Van Halen lineup at this festival touring the 1984 record. Yup I was a bit of a metaller back then I have to say and on the coach trip down I had a two litre bottle of Black Russian. If you look at this clip you'll see it was like a war zone out there trying to avoid getting hit by a Linden Village bottle of piss.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

If/When EP does get rescheduled again this time ill be asking for my money back along with Pink Moon. :(

^^^^^^ I'm not ready to have any form of acknowledgement of what you're saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Wow this hurts

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Anyway this was my first rock festival when Castle Donington was a one day event in 1984 and I'm glad to say I was one of the very few who managed to witness the original Van Halen lineup at this festival touring the 1984 record.

Would you say that you took a chance, and you were old enough to dance the night away?

RIP Eddie

rubick wrote: »
    Suddenly Booting Teenagers up The Hole is relegated to mere second place.

Sad times.

Forgot about that. It must've been one of those pre-apocalypse activities that people keep talking about!

• Advertisement

Nothing says loving like rushing to throw together some bootleg merch to profit from someone's death. all major credit cards accepted

That's a bit of a smart remark considering its Toot's sister who runs his t-shirt business. When I bought my Toots t-shirt at Liss Ard Festival in Cork in 2012, it was his sister that sold it to me, I think she is also one of the backing vocalists to the Maytal's band. For me personally I think its a nice gesture to release such a t-shirt as sadly there was no Maytal's tour this year and its nice to remember of Toots Hibbert fondly and thank him for the memories. :)

That's a bit of a smart remark considering its Toot's sister who runs his t-shirt business. When I bought my Toots t-shirt at Liss Ard Festival in Cork in 2012, it was his sister that sold it to me, I think she is also one of the backing vocalists to the Maytal's band. For me personally I think its a nice gesture to release such a t-shirt as sadly there was no Maytal's tour this year and its nice to remember of Toots Hibbert fondly and thank him for the memories. :)

Fully agree BD. Mid-pandemic we can do without yet more negativity and snideness. Stay well man. About to put Toots on the stereo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭rubick

Right, this new Roisin Murphy album is wall-to-wall bangers lads, and even though she played EP 2019 she should be booked again for next years' hooley and she should be headlining the Main Stage on Friday evening.

So I'll leave that with you, I'm sure we can get our best people on it.

rubick wrote: »
    Right, this new Roisin Murphy album is wall-to-wall bangers lads, and even though she played EP 2019 she should be booked again for next years' hooley and she should be headlining the Main Stage on Friday evening.

So I'll leave that with you, I'm sure we can get our best people on it.

The new album is brilliant! She was actually due to play body and soul this year! She’s doing a live stream of the album with her full band on 14th Nov on Mixcloud! It’s about as close as we are gonna get for a long time

Hope everyone is doing ok

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Michael Kiwanuka absolutely flawless on Graeme Norton tonight!!

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Michael Kiwanuka absolutely flawless on Graeme Norton tonight!!

Always is. For me he's amongst the very best artists at work right now, in the top four or five acts on this planet. And he'll be back to EP sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Always is. For me he's amongst the very best artists at work right now, in the top four or five acts on this planet. And he'll be back to EP sooner or later.

Love his voice and enjoyed his set at EP last year. Have ticket for trinity show hopefully get to use it. Missing gigs and live streams dont really do i for me. Listening to lots of old music and trying to support bands by buying new albums. Any suggestions of recent releases welcomed.

Mucker46 wrote: »
    Love his voice and enjoyed his set at EP last year. Have ticket for trinity show hopefully get to use it. Missing gigs and live streams dont really do i for me. Listening to lots of old music and trying to support bands by buying new albums. Any suggestions of recent releases welcomed.

Loved the Autre Monde album - Dublin band with Paddy Hanna on lead vocals (he also has an album out this week). Bits of Human League, Arcade Fire & LCD, pretty 80s sounding.

Loved the Autre Monde album - Dublin band with Paddy Hanna on lead vocals (he also has an album out this week). Bits of Human League, Arcade Fire & LCD, pretty 80s sounding.

Have heard a few of their tunes and thought they were pretty decent. Was surprised when i realised it was Paddy Hanna.

Have heard a few of their tunes and thought they were pretty decent. Was surprised when i realised it was Paddy Hanna.

He's good too, but I much prefer the band stuff. Both down here regularly as they're on a Galway record label.

David Keenan album good but you already know it, Fontaines DC of course and Pillow Queens sounds good but not heard it all. They were album of the day last Wed or Thur on BBC6 and they're being played a lot there. The Fontaines effect means a lot of Irish acts are going to get dragged along in their slipstream.

Aoife Nessa Frances & Sorcha Richardson are decent artists but you'd need other posters here to give feedback on their albums as I've barely listened.

• Advertisement

He's good too, but I much prefer the band stuff. Both down here regularly as they're on a Galway record label.

David Keenan album good but you already know it, Fontaines DC of course and Pillow Queens sounds good but not heard it all. They were album of the day last Wed or Thur on BBC6 and they're being played a lot there. The Fontaines effect means a lot of Irish acts are going to get dragged along in their slipstream.

Aoife Nessa Frances & Sorcha Richardson are decent artists but you'd need other posters here to give feedback on their albums as I've barely listened.

Wasnt happy when i realised pillow queens album was not available on cd. Have seen them live a few times and enjoyed them. I am in the minority in not being a fontaines fan. Aoife and sorcha i am like you heard a few tunes but maybe i will give them more of a chance. On a separate note have you heard awful miley cyrus cover of boys dont cry. Pure sacrilege, animals have been put down for less.

Wasnt happy when i realised pillow queens album was not available on cd. Have seen them live a few times and enjoyed them. I am in the minority in not being a fontaines fan. Aoife and sorcha i am like you heard a few tunes but maybe i will give them more of a chance. On a separate note have you heard awful miley cyrus cover of boys dont cry. Pure sacrilege, animals have been put down for less.

Thanks for directing me to that Mucker. Feeling slightly soiled now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Ordered it on vinyl this week after listening to it a lot over the last few months, it's brilliant.
    Maija Sofia will probably be my next Irish artist to buy.

sweetie wrote: »
    Ordered it on vinyl this week after listening to it a lot over the last few months, it's brilliant.

She's really come on. Sixteen months ago she was third on the bill at a tiny venue in Galway (Black Gate, 60 capacity). Impressive that night and the live videos I've seen of her at Vantastival and elsewhere look she's improving all the time. Feedback on the album please, must get to also.

The pillow queens album is so good.

sweetie wrote: »

Love her album

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Whipping Boy are releasing a special vinyl (and CD too), to mark the 25th anniversary of Heartworm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Whipping Boy are releasing a special vinyl (and CD too), to mark the 25th anniversary of Heartworm.

brilliant, also great to see the Revelino album doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭endainoz

See the fleadh for 2021 is already cancelled. Seems very early to make a call like that, but not a good sign either way.

• Advertisement

A great up and coming Wexford band my housemate got me into is the Cursed Murphy Versus The Resistance, he heard them on the John Creedon Show and the Fergal Scahill Late Date show. Basically the singer or talker recites stories and poems over an atmospheric, raucous and at times lush indie rock. When the Picnic comes back I can see these lads breaking out from the Jerry Fish or peripheral stages eventually onto one of the bigger marquees, check out some of their videos.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/music-reviews/2020/0727/1155894-review-cursed-murphy-versus-the-resistance/

Advertisement