Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭rubick

Glastonbury's "Entertainment Lawyer" Speaks:
    https://www.nme.com/news/music/glastonbury-lawyer-says-2021-festival-is-going-ahead-as-planned-2799543

I really don't see it going ahead in 2021, obviously hope I'm wrong. If it does, and there's some kind of mass-testing of punters, that would bode well for a visit to Stradbally next year assuming it could be implemented here. Eyes down for a full house in 2023, ticket bingo fans.

Interesting to note that there were only a handful of refund requests, which puts to bed once and for all the chances of Miss desk_tidy and I going to the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭endainoz

Some sort of rapid testing tech will be needed upon entry I suppose. Would probably be the case for entering any event or gatherings in the future. The technology might not be quite there yet but it's a worldwide issue, I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭fafy

Whipping Boy are releasing a special vinyl (and CD too), to mark the 25th anniversary of Heartworm.

Great news, one of my alltime favourite Irish albums, and largely overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

endainoz wrote: »
    Some sort of rapid testing tech will be needed upon entry I suppose. Would probably be the case for entering any event or gatherings in the future. The technology might not be quite there yet but it's a worldwide issue, I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

I hope when they have that technology, it will be acurate.

Imagine getting all the way to a festival, parking and queueing only to be denied entry based on the opinion of someone with no training and a handheld device with a low battery and no wifi....

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

Also, can we add "No festival in 2021" to the Radiohead list. :)

I suppose we can cross that bridge when we come to it, but facing that reality at the moment will be a hard pill to swallow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

Glastonbury carrying over the lineup makes sense too.
    I was a little surprised when EP wiped the slate clean...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

patch wrote: »
    Glastonbury carrying over the lineup makes sense too.
    I was a little surprised when EP wiped the slate clean...

I'd assume there'll be many of the same acts but if I'm right Rage Against the Machine may not be doing a European tour and sticking to North America? May be the same situation with other overseas bands.

rubick wrote: »
    Glastonbury's "Entertainment Lawyer" Speaks:
    https://www.nme.com/news/music/glastonbury-lawyer-says-2021-festival-is-going-ahead-as-planned-2799543

I really don't see it going ahead in 2021, obviously hope I'm wrong. If it does, and there's some kind of mass-testing of punters, that would bode well for a visit to Stradbally next year assuming it could be implemented here. Eyes down for a full house in 2023, ticket bingo fans.

Interesting to note that there were only a handful of refund requests, which puts to bed once and for all the chances of Miss desk_tidy and I going to the next one.

If the situation is similar to now in March when it comes to paying the balance I think you'll see a lot of withdrawals. If mass testing has loopholes then anybody who's elderly (quite a few at the festival over 65), diabetic, asthmatic or has underlying health issues will probably pull out. That'll be a fair few thousand and hard to tell how big the uptake will be. I personally would be wary of paying the balance in five months time.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    I'd assume there'll be many of the same acts but if I'm right Rage Against the Machine may not be doing a European tour and sticking to North America? May be the same situation with other overseas bands.

Yea the fact RATM werent announced for R&L 2021 means their European tour has been changed/cancelled

Indiependence 21 cancelled aswell. They put out a message to say that all refunds will be issued to people before Christmas. This night be a case of a company cutting their losses as the summer is still very uncertain. Still sad to hear though.

• Advertisement

Indiependence 21 cancelled aswell. They put out a message to say that all refunds will be issued to people before Christmas. This night be a case of a company cutting their losses as the summer is still very uncertain. Still sad to hear though.

August holiday weekend too. This is very early to make a decision on a festival happening pretty late in the Summer. I guess their margins are veery tight and having to take on extra costs for testing as well as cutting numbers is financially unmanageable. Festival Republic can take the hit and if EP doesn't go ahead I don't think a decision will be final until March/April. But as with all of this stuff I'm just guessing.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    August holiday weekend too. This is very early to make a decision on a festival happening pretty late in the Summer. I guess their margins are veery tight and having to take on extra costs for testing as well as cutting numbers is financially unmanageable. Festival Republic can take the hit and if EP doesn't go ahead I don't think a decision will be final until March/April. But as with all of this stuff I'm just guessing.

I'd reckon your correct though, it was more of a financial decision rather than a health one. Still, it dosent bode well for all the smaller independently run (pardon the pub) festivals that don't have the financial stability of EP.

I'd reckon your correct though, it was more of a financial decision rather than a health one. Still, it dosent bode well for all the smaller independently run (pardon the pub) festivals that don't have the financial stability of EP.

Also they did mention that they wont be returning to Mitchelstown so that could have been another factor of cancelling and refunding people while they lock in a new venue which will more than likely take longer then usual to find with Covid-19. Its also a nice gesture giving people back their money before xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The Orb is planning an online streaming concert, they put of a preview of their show and I'll paste the blurb too.

" Is anyone interested in a - LIVE - online Orb performance?
    We haven't played live in over a year! �� But we've been hard at work designing and developing a new live show we'd like to show you. Think holograms and intergalactic lighting from the ultraworld. ��
    Here's some test footage of the visuals we've been rehearsing. "

https://www.facebook.com/TheOrb/videos/342458187042978

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Some good news:

SOAD are back with new music, I feel like I'm in secondary school trying to get served in the local dive with a fake id again.

124535541_3262283687213867_1632367440079765488_o.png?_nc_cat=107&ccb=2&_nc_sid=a610ef&_nc_ohc=C5uH4PRUB88AX98qd4y&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=91a6fa5922db60738c295c5a81c75d19&oe=5FCD4AA0

Can we live in hope again :pac::pac::pac:

124535541_3262283687213867_1632367440079765488_o.png?_nc_cat=107&ccb=2&_nc_sid=a610ef&_nc_ohc=C5uH4PRUB88AX98qd4y&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=91a6fa5922db60738c295c5a81c75d19&oe=5FCD4AA0

Can we live in hope again :pac::pac::pac:

At least they're will be no anti vaxxers allowed into Glastonbury! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

At least they're will be no anti vaxxers allowed into Glastonbury! :P

Frightening proportion of anti-vax comments under every news article today!!

We're perpetually waiting for an announcement on here, this vaccine is possibly the best announcement we've had :p

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Frightening proportion of anti-vax comments under every news article today!!

We're perpetually waiting for an announcement on here, this vaccine is possibly the best announcement we've had :p

Next announcement is Luke O'Neill to do a late night talk on Science on the Salty Dog:pac:

Next announcement is Luke O'Neill to do a late night talk on Science on the Salty Dog:pac:

Is that the trinity professor fella? I'd definitely go and see that, he's great to watch.

• Advertisement

Is that the trinity professor fella? I'd definitely go and see that, he's great to watch.

Yup thats him, Same as you can clearly see he loves what he does and seems like a character

So it's probably too early to make a call like this, but say this vaccine finishes it's phase 3 trial and moves on to distribution, the most at risk would get it immediately of course but the general population would have to wait up to a year until it's widely available. So you'd be talking the latter parts of 2021?

Will the vaccine save EP 21? Would a mandatory vaccine turn people off attending, and possibly the most interesting question; will casual gig goers be put off the idea of crowds now that people know the risks involved with them?

So it's probably too early to make a call like this, but say this vaccine finishes it's phase 3 trial and moves on to distribution, the most at risk would get it immediately of course but the general population would have to wait up to a year until it's widely available. So you'd be talking the latter parts of 2021?

Will the vaccine save EP 21? Would a mandatory vaccine turn people off attending, and possibly the most interesting question; will casual gig goers be put off the idea of crowds now that people know the risks involved with them?

Hard to answer re EP as we're still in guesswork mode. Two million doses due for Ireland under EU procurement, though unsure when. Enough for the most vulnerable million as it takes two doses for effectiveness.

I'd guess that EP 2021 could go ahead but with a curtailed, and heavily local, lineup. The overseas bands that would include it on a tour may avoid the festival schedule as it's difficult to see the biggest European festivals proceeding with decisions having to be made early next year.

In terms of casual gig goers I'd say that those who are less vulnerable will be happy to attend. EP would easily get 70k takers for tickets anyway. Personally I'd wait until very late in deciding whether to go or not.

And back to music, anyone noticed how much BBC6 have been playing NewDad in the past fortnight, including a Steve Lamacq session? Expect them at any festival going ahead next Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,547 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

To be fair, COVID is probably the least thing you should worry about contracting when attending a festival...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭rubick

everlast75 wrote: »
    To be fair, COVID is probably the least thing you should worry about contracting when attending a festival...

When you think of the portaloos of a Monday morning, it's amazing we've made it this far.

I'm reminded of an overheard conversation in the queue exiting The Other Stage, after seeing James on Friday lunchtime of Glastonbury 2016. Two veterans chatting behind me:

"First time I was here I broke my foot."
    "Really? First time I was here I got dysentery..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Likelihood of EP21 is low I'd say, but I think the biggest risk is unwillingness to invest/pay deposits now in the current climate, I mean if it was your money, you'd want to be sure the event can take place before forking any money out. Glasto will be a huge indicator.

That being said I can see a real push back from the entertainment and live music scene after March. Who knows? watching like a Hawk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I would choose to take the pessimistic side of whether or not EP2021 is going ahead, but I cant help feeling slightly optimistic that it might..
    The BBC are reporting that GP's have been told to get ready for the rollout of Pfizers vaccine next month. If that is correct and Frontline workers and the elderly & vulnerable get it first, they could all have had it administered by roughly April (I am plucking that from the sky, assuming that it is slow to transport at minus 80 degrees), Frontline first, and then they work overtime to administer it for the rest.
    If the others get to release their vaccine soon after (or even if just 2 of the 6) - then surely there might be a possibility that by June we will have a better estimation of whether or not EP can go ahead in September.....
    :)

This thread is normally quite optimistic and I think it needs a bit of it now.

Let's say it will go ahead in the way the Seathrun said. Mostly local type acts, so Irish basically.

Big Irish acts might be cheap to get if they can't do world tours. Something like U2 perhaps? That might get mixed reviews from most here (myself included) but anyone care to make up a hypothetical Irish lineup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,547 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

**** it, I'm all in believing 2021 will go ahead.

You can tar and feather me if it doesn't, instead of kicking the teenagers.

Advertisement