Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

rubick wrote: »
    James & Happy Mondays have announced a tour for next Winter, including the 3 Arena.
    Can probably strike them both off any potential EP list now.

I'm holding off on buying tickets for stuff at the moment but would be reasonably confident that indoor gigs will be going ahead this time next year. The timing of EP looks good also as well as the rest of our outdoor Summer schedule.

Indoor gig start date? March/April for smaller stuff? Any scientists here with a clearer idea than me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭endainoz

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/1116/1178418-strict-covid-19-procedures-for-new-sligo-festival/

Rapid onsite testing will be deployed if needed they say, that's a good development, An interesting read about wild roots festival, I'm very tempted to get a ticket for this one. It could be my first proper festival in 18 months. Sure there is of course the risk it gets cancelled due to a fourth or fifth wave but I'm debating taking a chance on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Idiot of a brother has rearranged his wedding to the Friday of EP, any advice on how best to fall out with him?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Poorside wrote: »
    Idiot of a brother has rearranged his wedding to the Friday of EP, any advice on how best to fall out with him?

Whereabouts in the country? EP is conveniently located in Stradbally, so you can get up with the sun on the saturday morning, shower, hop in the car, stick on the auld tin o fruit, drive up to the church and youll be back in EP by 4.30, which is when it only really gets going anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I haven't been in in a while. Good to see the EP thread is virus resistant. Moderate grounds for optimism over the last couple of weeks, eh? The country needs a good EP 2021. Hard to picture us being back to talking lineups in a few months, isn't it? I can see the Salty Dog shimmering in the distance like one of those desert mirages. Hope you're all keeping safe.

• Advertisement

Whereabouts in the country? EP is conveniently located in Stradbally, so you can get up with the sun on the saturday morning, shower, hop in the car, stick on the auld tin o fruit, drive up to the church and youll be back in EP by 4.30, which is when it only really gets going anyways

Fcuk that, I missed Daft Punk at Oxegen in '07 because my sister decided to get married the same weekend. Still have not forgiven her...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭rubick

Do they do weddings at Stradbally Hall?
    I'm thinking Nile Rodgers could be the ultimate wedding disco.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

endainoz wrote: »
    Fcuk that, I missed Daft Punk at Oxegen in '07 because my sister decided to get married the same weekend. Still have not forgiven her...

You think thats bad, I chose The Killers over Daft Punk and ill never forgive myself :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

rubick wrote: »
    Do they do weddings at Stradbally Hall?
    I'm thinking Nile Rodgers could be the ultimate wedding disco.

You can do mock weddings in the inflatable church. They're great craic !

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

You think thats bad, I chose The Killers over Daft Punk and ill never forgive myself :(

I did too. Ill never live it down or forgive myself either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,084 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Poorside wrote: »

Honestly don't think you've much of a choice here, you're just going to have to bonk her.

Honestly don't think you've much of a choice here, you're just going to have to bonk her.

:D:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

dmm82 wrote: »
    I did too. Ill never live it down or forgive myself either!

13.5 years later and I'm still not over it. The fact it was only my second festival (oxegen 06 being my first) I didnt have the confidence to go see a band on my own but now im the total opposite ha

13.5 years later and I'm still not over it. The fact it was only my second festival (oxegen 06 being my first) I didnt have the confidence to go see a band on my own but now im the total opposite ha

I don't even have that excuse. I went to The Killers alone as all my friends went to Daft Punk. I changed my mind towards the end as could hear Daft Punk blasting in the background but because of the unmerciful mud that year it took me ages to get to the other stage so I got there just as Daft Punk were finishing up. Disaster!!

Yere all disgraceful

So last Friday two very different albums were released by two very different acts, polar opposites in fact. AC/DC released "POWER UP" , and Christy Moore released "The early years 1969 - 81" I'm a huge fan of both so full disclosure this won't be too critical if either.

It's great to hear new AC/DC music again, it's also great to hear Brian Johnson in full voice once more. What's really great though is that the album is the best they have done in about 30 years. The last two releases "Black Ice" and "Rock or bust" have their moments but there's a lot of filler in there too. "Power up" has some bit of this but there are some great essential tracks in here that could easily come from any album they released in the late 80s. You do know what your getting with this band, it's honest rock, it's catchy riffs, it's generic lyrics about whiskey and strippers and it's glorious.

I would be great to hear them live once more, though I'm not sure how Johnson's secret hearing aid technology would work in a live setting. If this is all we get from them I'll be happy.

Three essential tracks are:

Realize, Demon fire, Shot in the dark.

Christy Moore returns with a collection of some rare tracks from his early years. It's a bit like "The collection" from 2004 only a bit more polished and minus the Christy ranting about thatcher and regan. I guess he has mellowed out quite a bit in his old age!

With the way the summer panned out, I'll consider myself seriously lucky to see the man himself play live recently, his gigs always have a magical feeling to them. He'll tell a short story about how he got a certain folk song from some obscure singer in the late 60s in London and your immediately transported to that time. (Even if your obviously much too young to have seen it)

It's quite a large collection, 42 songs, one obscure one that I hadn't heard is "the workers are being used again" an amazing protest song against nuclear power from 1979. I'm a bit ashamed to admit I hadn't heard it before. My favourite of the whole collection, right now at least would be the live version of "John O Dreams" recorded live at Adare manor. A beautiful song in it's own right, though the best version I've heard was on the bootleg planxty gig that can be found on YouTube, you need Liam Ògs pipes to just take it off to the next level.

Three essential tracks:

John O Dreams, The workers are being used again, Home by Bearna.

Thanks for reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

endainoz wrote: »
    So last Friday two very different albums were released by two very different acts, polar opposites in fact. AC/DC released "POWER UP" , and Christy Moore released "The early years 1969 - 81" I'm a huge fan of both so full disclosure this won't be too critical if either.

It's great to hear new AC/DC music again, it's also great to hear Brian Johnson in full voice once more. What's really great though is that the album is the best they have done in about 30 years. The last two releases "Black Ice" and "Rock or bust" have their moments but there's a lot of filler in there too. "Power up" has some bit of this but there are some great essential tracks in here that could easily come from any album they released in the late 80s. You do know what your getting with this band, it's honest rock, it's catchy riffs, it's generic lyrics about whiskey and strippers and it's glorious.

I would be great to hear them live once more, though I'm not sure how Johnson's secret hearing aid technology would work in a live setting. If this is all we get from them I'll be happy.

Three essential tracks are:

Realize, Demon fire, Shot in the dark.

Christy Moore returns with a collection of some rare tracks from his early years. It's a bit like "The collection" from 2004 only a bit more polished and minus the Christy ranting about thatcher and regan. I guess he has mellowed out quite a bit in his old age!

With the way the summer panned out, I'll consider myself seriously lucky to see the man himself play live recently, his gigs always have a magical feeling to them. He'll tell a short story about how he got a certain folk song from some obscure singer in the late 60s in London and your immediately transported to that time. (Even if your obviously much too young to have seen it)

It's quite a large collection, 42 songs, one obscure one that I hadn't heard is "the workers are being used again" an amazing protest song against nuclear power from 1979. I'm a bit ashamed to admit I hadn't heard it before. My favourite of the whole collection, right now at least would be the live version of "John O Dreams" recorded live at Adare manor. A beautiful song in it's own right, though the best version I've heard was on the bootleg planxty gig that can be found on YouTube, you need Liam Ògs pipes to just take it off to the next level.

Three essential tracks:

John O Dreams, The workers are being used again, Home by Bearna.

Thanks for reading!

Saw AC/DC in 1982 at the Glasgow Apollo, my first hard rock gig and 2 years later when they headlined Donington at the Monsters of Rock in 1984, great gigs. This Christy Moore comp, how much of it delves into his mid seventies period, is there tracks from Whatever Tickles Your Fancy (1975) and the Christy Moore (self titled) (1976) albums. Is there Planxty and Moving Hearts tracks included too. Just curious? :)

Edit: Actually cut that, I googled the album and track listing and I think its gonna be a perfect Xmas gift for the sister, the DVD looks really interesting too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Saw AC/DC in 1982 at the Glasgow Apollo, my first hard rock gig and 2 years later when they headlined Donington at the Monsters of Rock in 1984, great gigs. This Christy Moore comp, how much of it delves into his mid seventies period, is there tracks from Whatever Tickles Your Fancy (1975) and the Christy Moore (self titled) (1976) albums. Is there Planxty and Moving Hearts tracks included too. Just curious? :)

Edit: Actually cut that, I googled the album and track listing and I think its gonna be a perfect Xmas gift for the sister, the DVD looks really interesting too.

Yeah I'm waiting for the triple vinyl on the new Christy album, have it pre ordered with ages so hopefully I'll have it soon. It'll be a great gift for sure!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/ac-dc-we-ve-never-had-anything-but-great-times-in-ireland-1.4402297%3fmode=amp

Nice article for whoever might be interested, it's funny how they refer to the point as the "telephone arena"! Nice to see them a pay tribute to Rory Gallagher as a massive influence on them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,545 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

tickets for James secured...

• Advertisement

everlast75 wrote: »

Good man! Yeah, got ours in the pre-sale. Standing up the front for the Booth/Bez Dance Off! Hopefully there'll be a Picnic but if this turns out to be the first post-plague gig we have it's a pretty good one for this punter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Ditto. Fingers crossed we will be back going to gigs by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,545 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Mucker46 wrote: »
    Ditto. Fingers crossed we will be back going to gigs by then.

By then?

I've tickets to Tim Burgess in April! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Mucker46

By then?

I've tickets to Tim Burgess in April! Lol

Have Columbia Mills for March but not confident it will go ahead

BBC6 have this on heavy rotation and it's drilled into my head. Was immune to Bicep before but the early tracks from the January album are sounding great. I assume there's a bidding war between EP & ATN for their services and by next Summer they'll probably be enormous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    BBC6 have this on heavy rotation and it's drilled into my head. Was immune to Bicep before but the early tracks from the January album are sounding great. I assume there's a bidding war between EP & ATN for their services and by next Summer they'll probably be enormous.

Huge fan of bicep...glue is a cracker. They were meant to play I think this year...

Rfrip wrote: »
    Huge fan of bicep...glue is a cracker. They were meant to play I think this year...

Probably were but if feels like a decade ago that they announced the first line-up. Nailed on for 2021 then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Probably were but if feels like a decade ago that they announced the first line-up. Nailed on for 2021 then.

Hopefully so are we!!

Seath to be running about the Woods at 4am in a pair of Speedos and a feather boa, and frankly it's about time he joined us!

• Advertisement

My local hotel is pushing on with December gigs. Some great ones in there! So who's moving to Doolin for the Christmas!?

Advertisement