Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Anyone have a link to day 1 of other voices?
    They all seem to be down from what i can see.
    Just watched day 2. Cinder Well were brilliant.

Looking forward to Brigid Mae Power on Sunday. Hugely underrated artist and her third album has ended up on many 'best of' lists this year (Rough Trade - 27th, Uncut -19th, etc). Never played EP I don't think, doesn't gig that much, very shy and under-confident but her time is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Watching other voices, God I love pillow queens

Can just picture myself in electric arena at about 5pm singing and swaying along to them

Ugh bliss

Edit: sun collective is just beautiful. What a voice

Now I’m obsessed with sun collective

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Rfrip wrote: »
    Watching other voices, God I love pillow queens

Can just picture myself in electric arena at about 5pm singing and swaying along to them

Ugh bliss

Edit: sun collective is just beautiful. What a voice

I find myself subconsciously matching an artist up to where they would likely play @EP stage, day/night and crowd size :)

Fatfrog wrote: »
    I find myself subconsciously matching an artist up to where they would likely play @EP stage, day/night and crowd size :)

Me too!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kepler21

endainoz wrote: »
    Was anybody watching other voices last night? Available on demand on youtube for a while for those who haven't. Some great acts on, Hozier was brilliant.

I've had it on as much as I can this weekend; its been brilliant.

Kepler21 wrote: »
    I've had it on as much as I can this weekend; its been brilliant.

What was most impressive? Will watch Brigid Mae Power and Pillow Queens at some stage today.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    What was most impressive? Will watch Brigid Mae Power and Pillow Queens at some stage today.

i watched saturday nights one

Pillow queens, sun collective and for those i love were all amazing

Had to fast forward the sean nos pair

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kepler21

Damien Dempsey, Rhiannon Giddens, Cinder Well, Pillow Queens.

I think I loved most that it was live and they were all obviously delighted to be playing and that energy came across. It was on in the background, so there were others I liked but not huge on particular names.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭endainoz

Kepler21 wrote: »
    Damien Dempsey, Rhiannon Giddens, Cinder Well, Pillow Queens.

I think I loved most that it was live and they were all obviously delighted to be playing and that energy came across. It was on in the background, so there were others I liked but not huge on particular names.

I honestly think Hozier's set was my highlight from the first night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

https://endoftheroadfestival.com/tickets/

same weekend? good sign at least.
    some great acts too

sweetie wrote: »

some great acts too

Loads of goodies there, a fair few of them from this island, and always plenty of crossover. Looks like the Pixies may finally be on the way to Stradbally and Conor Oberst to make his overdue return? And could EP have nicked Girl Band from ATN?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Pixies are playing Iveagh Gardens in July, so very unlikely to be at EP.
    Oberst was playing Vicar Street on the Friday of EP2020, and is now playing there on the Wednesday before EP2021, so highly unlikely, and Girl Band were already announced for EOTR this year and playing ATN, is probably unlikely too:

EOTR2020-Facebook-2500x1172.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Stillill42

sweetie wrote: »

some great acts too

Ah, great line-up! Gave me a shiver just scrolling through that. Great to see Margaret Glaspy on there, would love to see her back in Stradbally.

Pixies are playing Iveagh Gardens in July, so very unlikely to be at EP.
    Oberst was playing Vicar Street on the Friday of EP2020, and is now playing there on the Wednesday before EP2021, so highly unlikely, and Girl Band were already announced for EOTR this year and playing ATN, is probably unlikely too:

EOTR2020-Facebook-2500x1172.jpg

Pixies - playing two nights at Galway Arts Fest so Iveagh not an exclusive. No reason not to play EP. They are, after all, in the area.

Girl Band - announced for ATN 2020 but not 2021. A possibility for EP or ATN, or both.

Bright Eyes - I'd think that doing Vicar St on the Wednesday made EP more likely, not less.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I didn't mean Pixies were exclusive, I meant that they've been to Ireland once during the summer, there's little chance they'll come back again 6 weeks later. Off the top of my head I can't think of any international acts that played the Iveagh Gardens in the last few years that played at EP too? Once Ireland is ticked off the list, it's on to the next country. Those gigs are non-MCD too, so even more unlikely.

I'd expect Girl Band to be announced when ATN announces its lineup. Certainly no reason to think they'll be at EP, as they were to be at EOTR this year, and ATN, and weren't announced for EP...

Bright Eyes - doubt it, he was to play in Dublin on the Friday of EP this year, and EOTR another day, and the Dublin gig was for a rival promoter, so there was almost zero chance he was to be at EP2020. Very likely to have some sort of radius clause in the contract for the Vicar Street gig too. If it was an MCD gig, then it'd be a possibility.

I didn't mean Pixies were exclusive, I meant that they've been to Ireland once during the summer, there's little chance they'll come back again 6 weeks later. Off the top of my head I can't think of any international acts that played the Iveagh Gardens in the last few years that played at EP too? Once Ireland is ticked off the list, it's on to the next country. Those gigs are non-MCD too, so even more unlikely.

I'd expect Girl Band to be announced when ATN announces its lineup. Certainly no reason to think they'll be at EP, as they were to be at EOTR this year, and ATN, and weren't announced for EP...

Bright Eyes - doubt it, he was to play in Dublin on the Friday of EP this year, and EOTR another day, and the Dublin gig was for a rival promoter, so there was almost zero chance he was to be at EP2020. Very likely to have some sort of radius clause in the contract for the Vicar Street gig too. If it was an MCD gig, then it'd be a possibility.

No reason Pixies can't return, particularly when playing close by the same weekend. EP and EOTR usually share 8-12 acts. Frank and co won't be around so late in the summer for just one small festival.
    Girl Band less likely if doing ATN, but Irish acts often double up on home festivals.
    Bright Eyes is very likely I'd say, could do the EP Fri or Sat then hop over to Wiltshire. He could have done EP on the Sat this year and EOTR Sun.

But it's all speculation and we're not going to get final confirmation on any of those until the Summer owing to the other gigs. My best guess is Pixies and Bright Eyes for Stradbally.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭desk tidy

Good to see Dry Cleaning popping up. They've got EP undercard written all over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭rubick

desk tidy wrote: »
    Good to see Dry Cleaning popping up. They've got EP undercard written all over them.

If there's a better band with spoken word musings over jangly guitars I haven't heard them!

god this is giving me such a lift...back to announcements and will they wont they play EP scenarios

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,545 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Rfrip wrote: »
    god this is giving me such a lift...back to announcements and will they wont they play EP scenarios

And the inevitable complaining about the line-up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭rubick

everlast75 wrote: »
    And the inevitable complaining about the line-up ;)

I feel a good indication of just how desperate punters are for live gigs is shown in how Scooter have put on a second concert in Belfast due to demand.

One final point ghostdancer but more in hope than certainty. Pixies tour includes Italy twice, France twice and the UK three times. They're criss-crossing Europe for ten weeks so a second visit can't be ruled out. Only one gig between 2-5 Sept so hopefully EP will be squeezed in.

Seeing them in Galway anyway, may even do two nights there as starved of gigs this year, but EP main stage sub-headliner or headlining the EA would be a little special.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭endainoz

One final point ghostdancer but more in hope than certainty. Pixies tour includes Italy twice, France twice and the UK three times. They're criss-crossing Europe for ten weeks so a second visit can't be ruled out. Only one gig between 2-5 Sept so hopefully EP will be squeezed in.

Seeing them in Galway anyway, may even do two nights there as starved of gigs this year, but EP main stage sub-headliner or headlining the EA would be a little special.

Never got to see them live before, I'd set getting the chance to hear "hey" must be pretty special.

Never got to see them live before, I'd set getting the chance to hear "hey" must be pretty special.

Last time I saw them live about 4/5 years ago was less impressive than previously but still great. They have the tunes.
    And you live only 80 mins away so we'll be expecting to see you in the Big Tent.

Greatly enjoying the new Avalanches album. Their guest list fab - Mick Jones, MGMT, Johnny Marr, Karen O, Perry Farrell, Leon Bridges, etc. but much mellower than that list implies.

In Europe in mid-June so ATN rather than EP-bound you'd have to assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Apart from one terrible outing in Marley Park, I've always loved them. 100 2 and a half minutes songs played at a million miles an hour, raucous roaring your head off the whole while, what's not to like? I'd be delirious to see 'em in Stradbally. Preferably in the Electric Arena. Imagine that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Apart from one terrible outing in Marley Park, I've always loved them. 100 2 and a half minutes songs played at a million miles an hour, raucous roaring your head off the whole while, what's not to like? I'd be delirious to see 'em in Stradbally. Preferably in the Electric Arena. Imagine that.

That was my first time to see them and yea wasnt overly impressed but would still go see them if they were EA headliners against the likes of Picture This

• Registered Users Posts: 5,084 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

rubick wrote: »
    I feel a good indication of just how desperate punters are for live gigs is shown in how Scooter have put on a second concert in Belfast due to demand.

Truly we are in the darkest of timelines.

• Advertisement

Truly we are in the darkest of timelines.

I’d go see two toads on a main stage at this stage tbh!

Advertisement