Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Bruce2008

Rfrip wrote: »
    Watched a rake of Glastonbury on you tube today....don’t know wether it killed me or cured me tbh

Was at the same with EP vids on YouTube a few nights. Can be good or bad depending on where the head is at the time.
    Here's to new videos from both next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,151 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Had a few Chablis, can anyone help me remember the name of a band, it was in the early enough years with the bodytonic tent etc....they played in a little side tent not to late in the evening it was still bright on a friday. They'd released a few singles came from down wicklow town direction, really good vibe to them but heard they split up not long after.
    They've videos on youtube just can't remember their name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Had a few Chablis, can anyone help me remember the name of a band, it was in the early enough years with the bodytonic tent etc....they played in a little side tent not to late in the evening it was still bright on a friday. They'd released a few singles came from down wicklow town direction, really good vibe to them but heard they split up not long after.

Hybrasil?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Happy new year Picnic people,

Here's hoping you all have a great 2021, and more importantly a most excellent September weekend away in Stradbally.

G

Happy New Year

Just checked my countdown timer

35 weeks 0 Days and 23 Hours until These Carming Men are playing on the Salty Dog, seems an hour out but we'll put that to winter/summer time!
    Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Happy new year Picnic people,

Here's hoping you all have a great 2021, and more importantly a most excellent September weekend away in Stradbally.

G

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭endainoz

Happy new year to all the folks here, such a nice community here! We've all suffered quite a lot this year, something probably not understood by the folks who don't go to gigs. For me it's escapism and it was really hard to miss out on so much this year.

But, I am very confident about us all getting wrecked in Stradbally and hopefully some other places in the next year!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Bruce2008 wrote: »
    35 weeks 0 Days and 23 Hours until These Carming Men are playing on the Salty Dog, seems an hour out but we'll put that to winter/summer time!

Whats that in sleeps, does anyone know?

245 roughly... not sure if that counts night before EP but I wouldn't count that anyways cause I can never sleep that night lol...

Was thinking can we shove this January on to the end of 2020... I'd hate to see 2021 ruined already... just a thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Socially distanced Jools. Ffs. Perfect end to the perfect year. What a 2021 we'll have, Boardsies. A beautiful new year to you and yours. Keep safe and we'll see each other soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

As of today, it is 245 sleeps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,357 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Anyone completely forget being at a gig?

Maybe 20 years ago, but being asked if you were at a gig... and not being entirely sure.

Anyone?

Please say yes :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

everlast75 wrote: »

Maybe 20 years ago, but being asked if you were at a gig... and not being entirely sure.

Anyone?

Im a big fan of Super Furry Animals. In fact, theyre the reason why myself and a bunch of mates went to the first EP. Years later I was chatting to mates and had completely forgotten that theyd played that year. I was convinced that I saw them at Oxygen but never at EP.

However, im more likely to do the opposite - intend to see a band, get sidetracked and see someone else, but still be convinced I saw the band that I had highlighted in yellow on my printed planner!

Anyone?

I was very lucky to see a couple just before Christmas, it seems like I'm in the minority here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

endainoz wrote: »
    I was very lucky to see a couple just before Christmas, it seems like I'm in the minority here.

Got to see Denise Chalia in October, seems like years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

malojian in early January, then Fionn Regan and Aoife Nessa Frances and Robyn Hitchcock. Edit; forgot about Beak!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭rubick

Happy New Year Boardsies!

Eyes down for a full house come September x

Our one gig of last year was Beak> in the Button Factory, 6th Feb - hoping for at least one more than that this year!

Had quite the living room sesh on NYE, Sean Johnston of ALFOS played 9pm - 6am (!) which was utterly joyous but still rather tired what with the age an that.

Awoke 1st Jan around 11am to the news that the KLF are back on streaming websites, all the 7" singles so far with more to drop throughout the year.

Don't think anyone saw that coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Acosta

Im a big fan of Super Furry Animals. In fact, theyre the reason why myself and a bunch of mates went to the first EP. Years later I was chatting to mates and had completely forgotten that theyd played that year. I was convinced that I saw them at Oxygen but never at EP.

However, im more likely to do the opposite - intend to see a band, get sidetracked and see someone else, but still be convinced I saw the band that I had highlighted in yellow on my printed planner!

Was that when they played all the singles? Great gig that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

But, I am very confident about us all getting wrecked in Stradbally and hopefully some other places in the next year!

i like your optimism, however i think your confidence is a bit misplaced. one-off outdoor gigs with large crowds (marlay park/ malahide castle style ones) might have a very small chance of happening by the end of summer if the current vaccination schedule doesn't have any delays. A festival the size of EP? It's gonna be 2022 realistically. I really, really, really hope im proved wrong on this but i think in the long run realism is much better than unfounded optimism

• Registered Users Posts: 19,357 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

i like your optimism, however i think your confidence is a bit misplaced. one-off outdoor gigs with large crowds (marlay park/ malahide castle style ones) might have a very small chance of happening by the end of summer if the current vaccination schedule doesn't have any delays. A festival the size of EP? It's gonna be 2022 realistically. I really, really, really hope im proved wrong on this but i think in the long run realism is much better than unfounded optimism

If everyone adheres to the guidelines, if antigen testing becomes prevalent, if home testing kits become the norm, if the approved vaccines are rolled out quickly, if the remaining vaccines are approved and assist in the roll out, then it is likely.

Fingers crossed!!

If everyone adheres to the guidelines

that's where my pessimism is coming from, i think we've proved repeatedly that we don't follow the guidelines properly in this country. also, even allowing for all youve mentioned going to plan, i'd be unsure whether the massive-scale international travel that would be involved in bringing acts etc, to stradbally would be allowed. again, i do hope im wrong but ive had too many gigs etc be rescheduled and re-cancelled already to hold out much hope for ep

• Advertisement

that's where my pessimism is coming from, i think we've proved repeatedly that we don't follow the guidelines properly in this country. also, even allowing for all youve mentioned going to plan, i'd be unsure whether the massive-scale international travel that would be involved in bringing acts etc, to stradbally would be allowed. again, i do hope im wrong but ive had too many gigs etc be rescheduled and re-cancelled already to hold out much hope for ep

Given the absolute mess we are all in now, I do genuinely believe the general population will get their act together and take this as seriously as they should. With that being said, I've decided to hold off on a wild roots ticket as I just can't see it happening at this point.

Given the absolute mess we are all in now, I do genuinely believe the general population will get their act together and take this as seriously as they should. With that being said, I've decided to hold off on a wild roots ticket as I just can't see it happening at this point.

i really wish i held your optimism, but i just don't see it. maybe 'adults' (loose term) might take a bit more heed, but from the amount of groups of teens i saw meeting up on NYE when getting my food shopping, i really don't see things getting better anytime soon. hopefully by christmas we should have some semblance of normality back but i think late summer just isnt achievable, much as i hope im wrong.

and whoever is in charge of wild roots is taking the absolute piss, unless its a drive-in/virtual festival there isnt a hope in hell that's happening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭showpony1

What is the thought process of festivals like Longitude rescheduling/rebooking acts, its pretty much been shown now that until the whole vaccination process has taken place and proven a success nothing like that will happen. It's not going to be a matter of see how the cases are looking and you can work away with a 3 day festival (which It appears some in this thread also seem to think may happen) It'll be same with EP.

Some acts were rescheduling gigs for april/may when there was not even reports of a Vaccine. Are they just looking to pocket punters cash and people are just going along with it in blind optimism?

showpony1 wrote: »
    What is the thought process of festivals like Longitude rescheduling/rebooking acts, its pretty much been shown now that until the whole vaccination process has taken place and proven a success nothing like that will happen. It's not going to be a matter of see how the cases are looking and you can work away with a 3 day festival (which It appears some in this thread also seem to think may happen) It'll be same with EP.

Some acts were rescheduling gigs for april/may when there was not even reports of a Vaccine. Are they just looking to pocket punters cash and people are just going along with it in blind optimism?

In fairness promoters are probably on their knees at this stage, I can't really blame them to try to sell tickets with the optimistic intention that it will happen. But right now we really don't know what will happen. I do think the vaccines will get put out quicker now though. It's a logistical issue at this point.

Acosta wrote: »
    Was that when they played all the singles? Great gig that was.

Maybe, I have no memory of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,532 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The Japanese Popstars perhaps, used to play in a gaelic named tent in the same area.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

This is people having hope and something to *maybe* look forward to towards the end of the year.
    I'd say if realism is your main focus, bring that to wherever the pandemic thread is...(respectfully)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

patch wrote: »
    This is people having hope and something to *maybe* look forward to towards the end of the year.
    I'd say if realism is your main focus, bring that to wherever the pandemic thread is...(respectfully)

Necessary to look at all aspects of the festival. This thread isn't for misty-eyed optimism if unwarranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Necessary to look at all aspects of the festival. This thread isn't for misty-eyed optimism if unwarranted.

Have to agree tbh.

• Advertisement

exactly, no point in building ourselves up just for it to end in more disappointment

Advertisement