Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

HNY everyone.

Coming in here, in a way feels like trying to reconnect with an ex. You know it'd be great but it's just not gonna happen!
    That's how I feel about EP'21, I'd be amazed if it went ahead.

I haven't been dipping into the thread too often tbh, but it's great seeing all the optimism, ACTUAL gig reviews, and streamed gig links etc.

Music is the great healer, it's what i turn to if i'm blue, or happy, or mellow.
    I don't anticipate being at a gig anytime soon, but that 1st intro at the 1st gig is going to be something pretty special.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Stillill42

HNY everyone.

Coming in here, in a way feels like trying to reconnect with an ex. You know it'd be great but it's just not gonna happen!
    That's how I feel about EP'21, I'd be amazed if it went ahead.

I haven't been dipping into the thread too often tbh, but it's great seeing all the optimism, ACTUAL gig reviews, and streamed gig links etc.

Music is the great healer, it's what i turn to if i'm blue, or happy, or mellow.
    I don't anticipate being at a gig anytime soon, but that 1st intro at the 1st gig is going to be something pretty special.

Well here's to shifting our ex's so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭showpony1

patch wrote: »
    This is people having hope and something to *maybe* look forward to towards the end of the year.
    I'd say if realism is your main focus, bring that to wherever the pandemic thread is...(respectfully)

I assume you're referring to my post!

I would hope in September there is an outside chance, i was referring to gigs i would definitely be shocked to see go ahead (a whole rake of June gigs) still announcing and putting tickets on sale. Wondering why they were doing this even with no vaccine as there was no reason to believe the gigs would happen.

I was saying this as someone who has €150 of gig tickets from April 2020 sitting gathering dust while constantly rescheduled to very unlikely dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

showpony1 wrote: »
    I assume you're referring to my post!

Not specifically, but you were one of them!
    No offence intended.
    I liken this to booking a night away in March.
    Might have to cancel it, but the spark of hope keeps my head happier until then.
    Not that I'm an eternal optimist, I just tend to keep the glass half full.
    I'll be possibly seeing Bicep and Chemical Brothers in September, until its confirmed otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

MCD confident of festivals going ahead this year.
    But they would say that... confidenthttps://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40203473.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Stillill42

But they would say that... confidenthttps://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40203473.html
    Well, he's all in on the vaccines. I'd reserve my celebrations for a couple of months yet. I'm hopeful but nothing about our roll out is inspiring me with confidence so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

I would say that is largely spin to try and get some positive publicity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭endainoz

It probably is, but we at least have an announcement of sorts to come on the 17th of March. At least that's something, and by then we should have a reasonable idea of how things are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

To what end? EP is sold out and very few tickets left for Longitude. I see it more as optimistic bravado.

Given the debacle in the UK, the knock-on effect here and the slow-ish vaccine roll-out thus far I've written off 2021 for festivals and am hoping for the odd outdoor gig this Summer with indoor ones at the tail end of the year.

Mr.S wrote: »
    100% spin. Cost them nothing to say they are hopeful it will be going ahead - government restrictions will cancel the festival, not them.

There is no chance either festival will go ahead, unless they do something drastic like require a vaccine cert to attend.

In fairness I think it's a bit premature to say no chance of either happening on the 9th of January. You could well be correct of course, but I do think it's a little early in fairness.

Yes I am optimistic, but leaning on the side of it not happening as most here are.

• Advertisement

Also, do people think it's that drastic to have proof of vaccination to attend? It may not happen in Ireland, bit it'll surely happen somewhere.

endainoz wrote: »
    Also, do people think it's that drastic to have proof of vaccination to attend? It may not happen in Ireland, bit it'll surely happen somewhere.

Nope, I'd wholly agree with that.

Melvin Benn must surely have already looked at the idea of a very local festival also, as we've discussed before. For the touring schedules of major US, Australian, UK and mainland European acts to align there'd need to be herd immunity via vaccines throughout all of our continent by circa April when organising the festival schedules for June-Sept. There's just no chance of that happening whereas localised festivals throughout Europe are possible.

Realistically can only happen in the countries with the depth and breadth of significant crowd-pulling artists and that whittles it down to very few places capable of putting on such fests - Ireland, UK, France, Sweden the only ones I think could do it. Dance festivals are an entirely different thing.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/10/festivals-holidays-euro-2020-will-summers-big-events-still-go-ahead?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Guardian article on summer events such as the olympics, euro 2020(1) and uk based festivals. It's centred on the UK and it's speaks of summer festivals as opposed to late summer events. But in fairness it doesn't make for optimistic reading either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/10/festivals-holidays-euro-2020-will-summers-big-events-still-go-ahead?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Guardian article on summer events such as the olympics, euro 2020(1) and uk based festivals. It's centred on the UK and it's speaks of summer festivals as opposed to late summer events. But in fairness it doesn't make for optimistic reading either.

Yes as much as I'd like to remain positive, a tweet from Vincet Browne brought me back to reality,
    "To vaccinate 50% of the Irish population by year end 2021, we need to doing 200,000 vacinations per week"

Currently doing around 30k per week, plan to do 50/60k next week.
    So if we could keep at 50k per week until EP time, only 16% of southern Ireland would be vaccinated.

Im struggling to see any difference between now and say late summer, I think we'll still have on/off restrictions. I think likelihood of EP going ahead is low, theres just too many obstacles.

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Yes as much as I'd like to remain positive, a tweet from Vincet Browne brought me back to reality,
    "To vaccinate 50% of the Irish population by year end 2021, we need to doing 200,000 vacinations per week"

Currently doing around 30k per week, plan to do 50/60k next week.
    So if we could keep at 50k per week until EP time, only 16% of southern Ireland would be vaccinated.

Im struggling to see any difference between now and say late summer, I think we'll still have on/off restrictions. I think likelihood of EP going ahead is low, theres just too many obstacles.

VB is clearly not a maths major. Irish population (Republic) is 4.93 million. Divide that by half for 50% of the population and then by 52 and we get 47,404 per week. That's not a tough figure to achieve, and I expect it to be much higher.

At the rate of 200,000 per week half the population would be done in 12 weeks. That's achievable, but unfortunately it's reliant on an unreliable bureaucracy.

However we need 70% for herd immunity and end of year is no good for Summer festivals, even those as late as September.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    VB is clearly not a maths major. Irish population (Republic) is 4.93 million. Divide that by half for 50% of the population and then by 52 and we get 47,404 per week. That's not a tough figure to achieve, and I expect it to be much higher.

At the rate of 200,000 per week half the population would be done in 12 weeks. That's achievable, but unfortunately it's reliant on an unreliable bureaucracy.

However we need 70% for herd immunity and end of year is no good for Summer festivals, even those as late as September.

I cant find his original tweet, but he has this modified one up.

I see what hes done, hes taken the total pop as 5m x2 (x2 doses) 10m/52 weeks = 192K doses needed per week to vaccinate everyone by year end.

Ep is week 35 so if we continue at 50k per week, it will be 35x50 =1.75M /2 (two doses) 875K people (17.5% ROI) vaccinated by the time EP rolls around.

Time to Vaccinate 75% ROI population;
    @50k per week = 150weeks
    @100k per week = 75weeks
    @200k per week = 37weeks

I dont want to make another covid thread, but entirely relevant to Ep.

Events industry offers help with mass vaccination rollout https://jrnl.ie/5321753

Well at least they are being a bit pragmatic about it. My guess is that they'll be told no thanks.

Fatfrog wrote: »
    I cant find his original tweet, but he has this modified one up.

I see what hes done, hes taken the total pop as 5m x2 (x2 doses) 10m/52 weeks = 192K doses needed per week to vaccinate everyone by year end.

Ep is week 35 so if we continue at 50k per week, it will be 35x50 =1.75M /2 (two doses) 875K people (17.5% ROI) vaccinated by the time EP rolls around.

Time to Vaccinate 75% ROI population;
    @50k per week = 150weeks
    @100k per week = 75weeks
    @200k per week = 37weeks

I dont want to make another covid thread, but entirely relevant to Ep.

Your original text said 50% of the population rather than 100%, but I agree that aiming to vaccinate everybody has to be the way to go and 75% protects us greatly. Going by your figures we're not realistically going to see big gigs, indoor or outdoors, until next year. Depressing stuff but I can deal with it if we're going to get a relatively normal 2022.

Events industry offers help with mass vaccination rollout https://jrnl.ie/5321753

Well at least they are being a bit pragmatic about it. My guess is that they'll be told no thanks.

Makes a lot of sense. (Socially distanced and masked) mass vaccinations in outdoor parks makes sense. Medical professionals to run the tents while events people deal with the crowds and appointment times. Data protection issues of course but they can be dealth with.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,357 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The forecasts are based on how things are at the moment.

The introduction of a 4th, 5th or 6th vaccine (there are 8 at advanced stages) could change things very quickly.

Keep the chin up folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I'm getting my vaccination in next couple of weeks, but still not confident we'll have any gigs this year unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Approval of the Oxford vaccine will be the main determining factor for EP I'd say.

It's the one we have ordered the most of and has the least logistical challenges compared to the others. If European approval comes soon and they begin rolling it out at decent volume, I'd be confident for EP going ahead. Any delays however, I reckon we're toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Bruce2008

Would anyone really notice if we updated the list?

Rollout of Covid19 vaccination.

1. People aged 65 years and older who are residents of long-term care facilities

2.Frontline healthcare workers

3.People aged 70 and older

4.Other healthcare workers not in direct patient contact

4.5 Electric Picnic ticket holders.

5. People aged 65-69

etc...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2021/0111/1188990-radioheads-thom-yorke-calls-uk-govt-spineless/

I wonder does Thom know that there is one village in the EU27 where he is entitled to come and perform at visa free?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭rubick

Meanwhile in the North, the oul fella (71 next month) should be in line for his first vaccination mid-February. I have no doubt Stormont will find a way to **** it up of course. I've read various potential schedules about the rollout here, the most optimistic being that I'll have a vaccination by June which would be awesome timing for ATN and EP, but I won't get too excited just yet.

It's really bringing out the best in people, with everyone suddenly The World's Greatest Hikers and Mourne Mountain Rescue never being so busy - every walloper with a North Face jacket thinks they can jaunt up Slieve Donard without proper equipment and at the same time complaining about the lack of car parking facilities. In the MOUNTAINS.

These are the people that wouldn't last 15 minutes in Hendrix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Makes a lot of sense. (Socially distanced and masked) mass vaccinations in outdoor parks makes sense. Medical professionals to run the tents while events people deal with the crowds and appointment times. Data protection issues of course but they can be dealth with.

Sounds good, maybe throw in a DJ Koze-run celebration tent that everyone heads to after getting the jab as well!

rubick wrote: »
    Meanwhile in the North, the oul fella (71 next month) should be in line for his first vaccination mid-February. I have no doubt Stormont will find a way to **** it up of course. I've read various potential schedules about the rollout here, the most optimistic being that I'll have a vaccination by June which would be awesome timing for ATN and EP, but I won't get too excited just yet.

It's really bringing out the best in people, with everyone suddenly The World's Greatest Hikers and Mourne Mountain Rescue never being so busy - every walloper with a North Face jacket thinks they can jaunt up Slieve Donard without proper equipment and at the same time complaining about the lack of car parking facilities. In the MOUNTAINS.

These are the people that wouldn't last 15 minutes in Hendrix.

Brilliant. Same here. Mountain Rescue service overwhelmed with a 58% increase from Oct to Dec 2020.
    In Winter!! If ye're an amateur that may get lost in the mountains then have a go in July or August. Or better still, the first weekend in Sept when we're in a tent in Stradbally oblivious to the rest of the world.

http://https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/mountain-rescue-teams-responding-to-needless-callouts-during-cold-snap-1.4455165

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Sounds good, maybe throw in a DJ Koze-run celebration tent that everyone heads to after getting the jab as well!

And some gratis Molly as incentive to take the vaccine. Hey, why not go the whole hog and give us the vaccine in Stradbally in 9 months?

Balls!!

https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/ireland-vaccine-queue

Lucky to make EP22 at this rate

• Advertisement

Your original text said 50% of the population rather than 100%, but I agree that aiming to vaccinate everybody has to be the way to go and 75% protects us greatly. Going by your figures we're not realistically going to see big gigs, indoor or outdoors, until next year. Depressing stuff but I can deal with it if we're going to get a relatively normal 2022.

Yeah, that's what Vinny Browne had in his original tweet, but since deleted it guessing he realised the error.

Advertisement