Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Rfrip

The announcement about the announcement is really after taking on a whole new level!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Yeah totally would love for it to go ahead.

And if there really is no chance, it is awful form on the government to not just come out and say it now, as they are spending money on it already.

Gives me a teeny tiny bit of hope

It goes without saying, EP need a definitive answer either way, needed now not in 3 months. I think this is a tactic to make a lot of noise about the festival going ahead to provoke a reaction from nphet/government?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

nc6000 wrote: »
    Preparation for the Electric Picnic festival is underway with the event scheduled to take place as usual in the first weekend in September, the organisers have said.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/electric-picnic-to-go-ahead-unless-the-government-tells-us-otherwise-1.4503686

Less than six months away. Pretty sure that's being stated for insurance reasons. For all their faults NPHET and the Irish govt are a lot more risk-averse than their UK counterparts. I cannot see a 70k capacity festival taking place this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/foster-warns-of-issue-with-different-levels-of-vaccination-in-ni-and-republic-1092381.html

Of all people, Arlene Foster is the one who mentioned the obvious.
    If the Republic doesn't pick up pace, once the North potentially opens in June the whole country will be at risk of another wave.
    Interesting she reckons the UK should send over unused vaccines.
    If that were to happen EP would have a much better chance of going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Less than six months away. Pretty sure that's being stated for insurance reasons. For all their faults NPHET and the Irish govt are a lot more risk-averse than their UK counterparts. I cannot see a 70k capacity festival taking place this year.

Wouldn't mind seeing them try to go ahead with just the tickets they have sold already, what doe we think that is? 30-40k?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭endainoz

patch wrote: »
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/foster-warns-of-issue-with-different-levels-of-vaccination-in-ni-and-republic-1092381.html

If the Republic doesn't pick up pace, once the North potentially opens in June the whole country will be at risk of another wave.

So much for the all island approach. The gap for the second jab in the uk is still quite long. Assuming we get the supplies and start ramping up distribution to where we need to be, there won't be much difference between us and the North.

Fatfrog wrote: »
    It goes without saying, EP need a definitive answer either way, needed now not in 3 months. I think this is a tactic to make a lot of noise about the festival going ahead to provoke a reaction from nphet/government?

It could be alright, they seem to be throwing the ball in the governments court with this news.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Fatfrog wrote: »

It 100% is, and is 100% correct in doing so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭rubick

We'll be on course for both vaccines by June here (Antrim) in our age group.
    My dad has his first jab and my Mum will have her first by the end of March.
    Any chance youse could up yer game so it is?

mimimcmc wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind seeing them try to go ahead with just the tickets they have sold already, what doe we think that is? 30-40k?

70k. Sold out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

70k. Sold out.

is it :eek:

Dunno why i just thought the first batch were sold. damn

patch wrote: »

I think the Republic will be over the 70% vaccine threshold before the UK. The three-month gap to the second jab means that most people there won't be fully covered until late in the year. We'll be ramping up our vaccinations shortly and the Johnson & Johnson single shot will greatly change things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

mimimcmc wrote: »
    I think only a few thousand got refunds, so well over 65k tickets sold afaik.

This is exactly it.
    We saw it last year, and the event organisers afterwards said they needed to continue as normal, even though it was clear the event wasn't going ahead. This was for insurance purposes. I think you have to go through certain stages of the planning process etc to qualify, and then of course, the government had to make the call to ban large scale events.
    The very same will happen this year.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

nc6000 wrote: »
    Preparation for the Electric Picnic festival is underway with the event scheduled to take place as usual in the first weekend in September, the organisers have said.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/electric-picnic-to-go-ahead-unless-the-government-tells-us-otherwise-1.4503686

Electric Picnic
    An article has appeared in the Irish Times this morning that makes statements on Melvin Benn’s behalf and appears as if one of the event organisers is speaking on behalf of the Electric Picnic. The person being interviewed is not one of the organisers and his points are his points and we have asked for the article to be taken down. The Electric Picnic team remain hopeful that the vaccination roll out will be complete in sufficient time to allow the festival to go ahead obviously but remain in Government hands for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Electric Picnic

IT fairly dropped the ball with that one

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Global pandemic that will span at least 18+ months, and they expect to cram a tens of thousands of people together and have them breathing on top of each other, sharing tents and riding like mad? Not a hope. Not a singular hope. We won't all be vaccinated by then, and even if we were there will still be major concerns about variants approaching winter. If a festival of this scale can go ahead, then every other restriction should be completely lifted, which won't happen.

They just want to be officially and publicly cancelled by the government, so they can point the finger at them and shove on the blame, more likely than not also has implications for insurance if they are prohibited from going ahead they'd have better grounds for a claim. Its bad form to play with public hope like this. My guess is that if the vast majority of ticket holders did cancel they could possibly have the event go ahead with a significantly reduced capacity and a few less popular artists. I would love for this to go ahead but I do not see it happening.

Electric Picnic

This has the same energy as "**** you Deputy Stagg" followed by "That was very unparliamentary language, I apologise completely". The word is out, they have the wanted publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Tig98 wrote: »
    Global pandemic that will span at least 18+ months, and they expect to cram a tens of thousands of people together and have them breathing on top of each other, sharing tents and riding like mad? Not a hope. Not a singular hope. We won't all be vaccinated by then, and even if we were there will still be major concerns about variants approaching winter. If a festival of this scale can go ahead, then every other restriction should be completely lifted, which won't happen.

They just want to be officially and publicly cancelled by the government, so they can point the finger at them and shove on the blame, more likely than not also has implications for insurance if they are prohibited from going ahead they'd have better grounds for a claim. Its bad form to play with public hope like this. My guess is that if the vast majority of ticket holders did cancel they could possibly have the event go ahead with a significantly reduced capacity and a few less popular artists. I would love for this to go ahead but I do not see it happening.

It is also bad for to not let EP know that it wont be going ahead when there is a tiny tiny chance of it happening.

These events are not just planned overnight and deposits etc will need to be paid.

It is also bad for to not let EP know that it wont be going ahead when there is a tiny tiny chance of it happening.

These events are not just planned overnight and deposits etc will need to be paid.

The government are damned if they do and damned if they dont. If they cancel it now they'll be lambasted for not being ambitious or decisive enough in tackling the virus and that is the only reason why it cant go ahead, if they leave the door open and decide mid-July that the numbers are just too high then there will be a song and dance that the government has led them down the garden path and is once again throwing the arts and entertainment industry to the dogs.

In my opinion, I do not see it going ahead. Not in any way that it ever has before, and definitely not if it will drag 70,000 people together from all around the country. They're better off writing it off for this year and not waste the time and money planning something that realistically will not go ahead.

In what is I'm sure coincidental timing, the EP website now has 2021 Merch available for pre-order. Or was that already there?
    https://shop.electricpicnic.ie/

• Advertisement

rubick wrote: »
    In what is I'm sure coincidental timing, the EP website now has 2021 Merch available for pre-order. Or was that already there?
    https://shop.electricpicnic.ie/

The best part of that is that they're selling branded face masks

Would they please get real :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Any expectation of definitive statements from either side is completely unrealistic. The constant demands for 'certainty' on hospitality, school openings, travel, gigs, whatever is a nonsense. I'm no fan of our elected representatives but anyone making concrete plans more than 3 or 4 weeks down the line is asking to be made a fool of. Vaccinate like lunatics and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭showpony1

tens of thousands of people together sharing tents and riding like mad

sounds like you enjoy yourself down there Tiggy

showpony1 wrote: »

It seems that I have been greatly misinformed about the nature of the Ploughing Championships.

Global pandemic that will span at least 18+ months, and they expect to cram a tens of thousands of people together and have them breathing on top of each other, sharing tents and riding like mad? Not a hope. Not a singular hope.

Honestly, where would ya get the time?

It seems that I have been greatly misinformed about the nature of the Ploughing Championships.

Ah there's plenty ploughing going on in Stradbally too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭Stillill42

showpony1 wrote: »

Ha! Cue a line of mildly arthritic oul lads who attend EP on their own wondering what the feck Tiggy is on about.
    Ahem. What the feck are you on about Tiggy?

I've been, frankly it dosent live up to the hype, same headliner in Ritchie Kavanagh every year, way past his Aon Focal Eile mid 90s glory days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭showpony1

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Ha! Cue a line of mildly arthritic oul lads who attend EP on their own wondering what the feck Tiggy is on about.
    Ahem. What the feck are you on about Tiggy?

Don't forget the pocket-sized rain coats ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

All points east have moved to 27th-30th of August

Advertisement