Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

He could do with reading that alright....!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I can't see why this will not be going ahead in September. The danger of Covid is now over, time to play ball.

I think theres a great chance now 'we' (the punters) will be ready by EP time (**** it im ready now!!), but will EP be ready!!

I dont think we should underestimate the promotors drive to make money also, no government payout is covering that cash cow particularly as it a UK based company, but I'd worry about the parts outside of FR's control like government, license, insurance etc.

So BD hold on to that vaccine cert or document, I think that could be one requirement, as well as rapid testing with ID at you local pharmacy a few days before.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I can't see why this will not be going ahead in September. The danger of Covid is now over, time to play ball.

This is the way... https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-01/uk-government-backs-rave-to-test-covid-reopening-social-distance/100109228

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I know it’s the ep thread but could we take a break from the will it won’t it happen for a bit. I know I was negative about it only a few weeks ago but this is such a lovely thread and it’s a safe place!

Things are looking brighter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

Was that comment intended in a Mandalorian voice? Because that's what I heard.
    But yes, if that turns out to be safe it's probably a reference point for EP moving forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭VM Varga

patch wrote: »
    Was that comment intended in a Mandalorian voice? Because that's what I heard.
    But yes, if that turns out to be safe it's probably a reference point for EP moving forward.

On the topic of Mandalorian voices (I know!), it may interest some of you to know that John Cooper Clarke’s autobiography is currently available on kindler for a pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,084 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Fatfrog wrote: »
    He could do with reading that alright....!! :p

Gets a lot of hate but no one would really complain if we had an EP with him at it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭RINO87

everlast75 wrote: »
    If it goes ahead, any shyte talkers here should be made hand their ticket over to someone who kept the faith...

I'll take one!! All my eggs are in ATN's Basket at the moment....!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Sorry for the possible negative news but TD Jack Chambers said the government wont be looking at doing trial events till July or August which could a spanner in the mix for any outdoor festivals/events :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

Sorry for the possible negative news but TD Jack Chambers said the government wont be looking at doing trial events till July or August which could a spanner in the mix for any outdoor festivals/events :(
    Knowing how this government operates, EP will probably be the trial event...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I'm pretty sure Jack is referring to sporting events. Catherine Martin talked about a graded process for the music industry. I got the impression that would start soon for tiny socially distanced indoor events and build from there. But of course large scale outdoor events are still a ways away regardless of context.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Stillill42 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Jack is referring to sporting events. Catherine Martin talked about a graded process for the music industry. I got the impression that would start soon for tiny socially distanced indoor events and build from there. But of course large scale outdoor events are still a ways away regardless of context.

Yea thats what im hoping for, When i see the trials start ill be happy to see something happening

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Niall, Eanna and other folkies here will be familiar with them but I came across Clann Mhic Ruairi for the first time on TG4 last night. Beautiful harmonies and great material very reminiscent of another Donegal family band. Would love them at EP and even better, Clannad, before they call it a day next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Niall, Eanna and other folkies here will be familiar with them but I came across Clann Mhic Ruairi for the first time on TG4 last night. Beautiful harmonies and great material very reminiscent of another Donegal family band. Would love them at EP and even better, Clannad, before they call it a day next year.

Seath did you see the doc on Clannad on TG4 over the Xmas period, well researched and interesting looking at Clannad over the years, Maire Brennan is a beautiful woman.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Seath did you see the doc on Clannad on TG4 over the Xmas period, well researched and interesting looking at Clannad over the years, Maire Brennan is a beautiful woman.

I saw two docs on them over that period, TG4 was one and maybe RTE1 or 2 the other. Both great. I've loved Clannad since I saw Harry's Game on TOTP in 1982, had never heard anything like it and couldn't believe I was seeing a Donegal group singing in Gaelic on BBC at the height of the Troubles.

Finally caught them at the Glasto acoustic tent a decade ago and they were superb, hoping to get to Leisureland in March but it ain't cheap. Obliged to go though as can't see them playing fests and we won't get another chance.

Registration done, open to all us middle-aged over-50 crew. At best guess we'll all be done by end of June, over 30s by end of July and all adults by end of August. It's really speeding up and I think my forecast may even be conservative.

Even if no EP I'll expect to be seeing some of you at a gig before year's end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭showpony1

Have they said how the likes of the festivals that are going ahead such as Reading/Leeds will operate? testing on the way in?

It seems crazy they have announced that line-up with all the US acts on it - i wonder if they are all truly confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I see the TRNSMT lineup is out.
    180269283_1592531441087243_2058707607893150674_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=2c4854&_nc_ohc=NI5vokj0sZMAX8z-iyy&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&tp=6&oh=fcfa77501695157be3ee8320adcdd465&oe=60B83E41

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,555 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I'm guessing maybe two lines - 1 if you have proof of vaccination, the second for the antigen testing?

180269283_1592531441087243_2058707607893150674_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=2c4854&_nc_ohc=NI5vokj0sZMAX8z-iyy&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&tp=6&oh=fcfa77501695157be3ee8320adcdd465&oe=60B83E41

well there's my fall back plan sorted...

• Advertisement

TRNSMT isn't a camping festival?

showpony1 wrote: »
    TRNSMT isn't a camping festival?

I'll still take it if the unmentionable happens

Have they said how the likes of the festivals that are going ahead such as Reading/Leeds will operate? testing on the way in?

It seems crazy they have announced that line-up with all the US acts on it - i wonder if they are all truly confirmed.

I'd assume a combination of vaccine certs and testing,

There really aren't that many US acts but those that are there are significant - QOTSA, Post Malone & Machine Gun Kelly. Maybe some more lower down the bill but not obvious to me. To be honest I'm surprised there are any at all but possibly those artists have the infrastructure to sort out all the logistical stuff.
    And it's just guesswork but they may also being paid more than their standard fee to make the trip.

Bar enormous hiccups it seems pretty likely those UK fests will proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Feels wrong seeing Picture This on a concert poster in May in this thread and just letting it go. At what point do we allow ourselves to start bitching about OTHER people's festivals? We've got to get our kicks somewhere. We'll forget how to do it if we're not careful.

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Feels wrong seeing Picture This on a concert poster in May in this thread and just letting it go. At what point do we allow allow ourselves to start bitching about OTHER people's festivals? We've got to get our kicks somewhere. We'll forget how to do it if we're not careful.

Literal.. or metaphorical?

Not an attractive lineup for me but I'd take it. 11/12 acts I'd enjoy seeing and that'd do me. To be honest 2/3 decent acts and loads of young unknown bands would be enough.

And the week after EP with a few Irish acts bodes well. Promoters here will be pointing at the UK and asking why Ireland is unable to do the same particularly when vaccinated numbers will be broadly similar come the time of the events. And it's a fair question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭endainoz

Not an attractive lineup for me but I'd take it. 11/12 acts I'd enjoy seeing and that'd do me. To be honest 2/3 decent acts and loads of young unknown bands would be enough.

And the week after EP with a few Irish acts bodes well. Promoters here will be pointing at the UK and asking why Ireland is unable to do the same particularly when vaccinated numbers will be broadly similar come the time of the events. And it's a fair question.

Not a hope etc

I imagine if the wheels aren't in motion already for EP with line-up out etc we can work on basis its not happening (maybe not be allowed say that in this thread) but was going to start making other plans - obviously be great if EP is somehow on but would like to know if any chance soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭endainoz

I imagine if the wheels aren't in motion already for EP with line-up out etc we can work on basis its not happening (maybe not be allowed say that in this thread) but was going to start making other plans - obviously be great if EP is somehow on but would like to know if any chance soon.

It's probably just the promoters being cautious about the whole thing. Its still 4 months away like, your allowed to say whatever you want if you can back it up with something!

But I do think we'll have some idea fairly soon, like in the next month or so. The year of the court case going into to 2013, it was fairly late on before anything was announced right?

Edit: after checking it up, the 2013 lineup came out at the end of April. Still a lot later than usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭rubick

Jeez, mind the halcyon days when all we had to worry about was court cases preventing festivals going ahead?
    We never had it so good, etc.

Advertisement