Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭endainoz

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Only the top two on the poster I think (James Morrison & Kaiser Chiefs), both pretty replaceable with standby Irish acts. I'd imagine there are several happy to take the slots.

Fair enough "loads" was a bit of an exaggeration! Still would love an all Irish lineup though, we have more than enough talent to fill up a festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I am ready with my "needs a bit more of an international slant" comment for the line up announcement which includes U2 as an exclusive one off post-COVID headliner.

I think there's a possibility. They're not playing anywhere else this year and I'd say they'd like to get out of the house. 70k is a fair crowd for them is it's full capacity and they've been to the festival on at least a couple of occasions.

endainoz wrote: »
    Fair enough "loads" was a bit of an exaggeration! Still would love an all Irish lineup though, we have more than enough talent to fill up a festival.

It's misleading when you look at the poster and see them at the top. When I first saw the lineup I wondered how they were going to sort out all the UK acts.

And to more serious business, we've got to again work out which Irish acts we could be getting. We'll probably have to exclude any based in London or elsewhere unless they come home and lay low for a while.

I also love the idea of an all-Irish festival, properly show off the talent we have on the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

Hopefully there might be some good news soon.

Anything at all really. Things like EP and other big events will lift peoples spirits and make a big step back towards normality.

It is becoming a bit of a tease. Over the last few days people have been saying "I see the Electric Picnic is going ahead. It was on the news/radio/TV...". I get all excited and start checking to read the good news only to find out it is just another headline saying it 'might' go ahead.

If/when it does get announced, I will probably not believe it until I am whacking tent pegs in on the Thursday night with a can in my hand. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

Also....

Do we need to amend the Radiohead rule to include U2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I am ready with my "needs a bit more of an international slant" comment for the line up announcement which includes U2 as an exclusive one off post-COVID headliner.

Actually I wrote this as a bit of a joke, but once I posted it I thought .. hmm that could happen actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

Actually I wrote this as a bit of a joke, but once I posted it I thought .. hmm that could happen actually.

A few of us had talked about the U2 angle possibility a few weeks ago. A bit like when they played Glastonbury, it felt like something they had to get out of the way. And it must seem strange they haven't played Ireland's biggest festival.
    Against that, they are extreme professionals, so hard to see them doing it with pulling a show together, which is a lot to do for a one off.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

What are people's view on Van turning up, given his current views?

Peterd66 wrote: »

I'd like to see him do a version of "Reasons to be Cheerful, Part 3"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

i'd be delighted if it's a camper Van

edit: seriously though, he's always been a curmudgeonly prat but when he's in the mood he can put on a great gig.

• Advertisement

He's a major option for the Saturday or Sunday afternoon slot he's done a couple of times at Glasto. Can't see him doing a late night set.

His stance has been astonishingly dumb and misguided but I'd love to see him there. I'd draw the line with Morrissey or Ted Nugent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Big Van M fan, but he's the worst live performer I've seen since Dylan mumbled his way through a gig in Galway in 2004 I think.

who else would qualify for a headliner Irish act for 50,000+?

I cant think of any really.

I've seen different members of U2 watching Gavin Friday, Patti Smith & Inhaler at the fest. They probably like the vibe and they'd clearly do a stripped down show as they did on their Elevation tour.

An awful lot of accts I'd love to see there but a random selection is:

My Bloody Valentine, A House, Microdisney, U2, Stiff Little Fingers, Van Morrison, The Undertones, Fontaines DC, The Murder Capital, Thumper, David Keenan, Seamus Fogarty, Freddie White, Powpig, Denise Chaila, Pillow Queens, Bitch Falcon, Those Nervous Animals, Clannad, Sinéad O'Connor, Maria Somerville, Bicep, Lisa O'Neill, NewDad, Slyrydes, Christy Moore, Talos, Kila, Scullion, A Lazarus Soul, Autre Monde, Horslips, Maija Sofia, Brigid Mae Power, Villagers, Daoiri Farrell, Just Mustard, Girl Band and honorary nationals The Waterboys.

Plus Aphex Twin for BD.

And if any more acts were to reform could they please be Whipping Boy & JJ72.

Loads more potential headliners/sub-headliners less to my taste who could take big slots - Snow Patrol, Picture This, Hozier, Corrs, Gavin James, Dermot Kennedy, The Script, etc, etc.

There really isn't much hassle filling out the fest with musicians from the island, but what about a trad area, maybe at Hazel Wood or Trenchtown?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Big Van M fan, but he's the worst live performer I've seen since Dylan mumbled his way through a gig in Galway in 2004 I think.

Dylan has to be one of the most disappointing live acts of all time. Saw him at Benicassim in 2012 and found it seriously hard going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Rfrip

irish line up would suit me so well tbh.....dublin gospel choir each day....mother djs for the rest of it...that sounds bliss for me right now

endainoz, il owe you a pint at this.....i was incredibly negative in posts a while back!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Irish?

Chris De Burgh, he's going on tour and a new album coming.

Headliners, sub-headliners or big afternoon slots:

Fontaines at that level now I think. They've only done two albums but Hozier with one drew the biggest crowd I've ever seen at EP.
    Hozier (US & Irish No 1 album)
    Picture This
    Snow Patrol
    Van Morrison
    The Corrs
    Sinéad O'Connor
    Bicep
    Dermot Kennedy (UK & Irish No 1 album)
    Westlife
    Niall Horan (US, UK & Irish No 1 album)
    The Script
    Damien Rice
    Imelda May
    The Chieftans

Not many of the above represent us well but they're all pretty big. Maybe others I've forgotten.

He's not comparable to Dylan, he has the odd poor gig or storming off but he's reliably good when I've seen him. Great outdoor sets at Glasto & the Fleadh over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭rubick

RE: Young Ivan, he'd play at the opening of a local Spar so the odds are pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,555 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Hopefully there might be some good news soon.

Anything at all really. Things like EP and other big events will lift peoples spirits and make a big step back towards normality.

It is becoming a bit of a tease. Over the last few days people have been saying "I see the Electric Picnic is going ahead. It was on the news/radio/TV...". I get all excited and start checking to read the good news only to find out it is just another headline saying it 'might' go ahead.

If/when it does get announced, I will probably not believe it until I am whacking tent pegs in on the Thursday night with a can in my hand. :)

Weirdest euphemism for sex that I've ever heard...
    Irish?

Chris De Burgh, he's going on tour and a new album coming.

I think he might be stuck for a babysitter though...

Rfrip wrote: »
    irish line up would suit me so well tbh.....dublin gospel choir each day....mother djs for the rest of it...that sounds bliss for me right now

endainoz, il owe you a pint at this.....i was incredibly negative in posts a while back!

Ha no bother at all! I have been up and down about it myself but have tried to stay positive about it.

We do have a long way to go, but I think I'm more optimistic than hopeful at this point.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    I've seen different members of U2 watching Gavin Friday, Patti Smith & Inhaler at the fest. They probably like the vibe and they'd clearly do a stripped down show as they did on their Elevation tour.

An awful lot of accts I'd love to see there but a random selection is:

My Bloody Valentine, A House, Microdisney, U2, Stiff Little Fingers, Van Morrison, The Undertones, Fontaines DC, The Murder Capital, Thumper, David Keenan, Seamus Fogarty, Freddie White, Powpig, Denise Chaila, Pillow Queens, Bitch Falcon, Those Nervous Animals, Clannad, Sinéad O'Connor, Maria Somerville, Bicep, Lisa O'Neill, NewDad, Slyrydes, Christy Moore, Talos, Kila, Scullion, A Lazarus Soul, Autre Monde, Horslips, Maija Sofia, Brigid Mae Power, Villagers, Daoiri Farrell, Just Mustard, Girl Band and honorary nationals The Waterboys.

Plus Aphex Twin for BD.

And if any more acts were to reform could they please be Whipping Boy & JJ72.

Loads more potential headliners/sub-headliners less to my taste who could take big slots - Snow Patrol, Picture This, Hozier, Corrs, Gavin James, Dermot Kennedy, The Script, etc, etc.

There really isn't much hassle filling out the fest with musicians from the island, but what about a trad area, maybe at Hazel Wood or Trenchtown?

That sounds like a great lineup to be fair, easy to throw in a few more like The Frames, King Kong Company, Paul Brady, Jiggy, Kneecap etc. We have so many options for it, maybe a republic of loose reunion thrown in too.

Throw in a Sunday slot in mindfield for Jim Corr and we're laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

everlast75 wrote: »

I think he might be stuck for a babysitter though...

:confused:
    Has Rosanna moved home?

endainoz wrote: »
    That sounds like a great lineup to be fair, easy to throw in a few more like The Frames, King Kong Company, Paul Brady, Jiggy, Kneecap etc. We have so many options for it, maybe a republic of loose reunion thrown in too.

Throw in a Sunday slot in mindfield for Jim Corr and we're laughing.

Moving Hearts while we're on reunions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I know we're only having the craic but the all Irish thing has so many possibilities. Dozens of up and coming acts, a proper Irish hip hop scene now, scope for a genuine trad area, retro area, Something Happens, A House, Frank and Walters, Engine Alley etc., Trailer Park remains unchanged, as does the Salty Dog, leaving the main stage for the numerous huge draws already mentioned, topped by Bono and the boys in the homecoming to end all homecomings. Sounds amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Sounds like it would be perfect for a Saturday and Sunday, 3 days would be way too long....

Poorside wrote: »
    Sounds like it would be perfect for a Saturday and Sunday, 3 days would be way too long....

I don't think so, a lot of young and heritage acts about every town in the country. From your own there's When Young, Denise Chaila, the Hogan Brothers/Cranberries, PowPig, Rusangano Family, Martian Subculture, Proper Micro NV, Sinead O'Brien, Hermitage Green, The Rubberbandits, The Hitchers and many others I don't know.

We can throw in Aphex Twin as well.

• Advertisement

Poorside wrote: »

After being deprived for so long, a week wouldn't be long enough....

Advertisement