Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

desk tidy wrote: »
    It seems like it's been much longer than a year since I was last at a festival. Feels like EP 2019 was years ago.

2018 was my last festival :(, Im not counting Forbidden Fruit since i only went the Monday for Elbow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭endainoz

Fuinneamh postponed, it was coming. They are releasing what would have been their headliners on Friday, maybe other festivals should do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

endainoz wrote: »
    Fuinneamh postponed, it was coming. They are releasing what would have been their headliners on Friday, maybe other festivals should do the same.

No, that's cruel and unusual punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

It would be funny if the Picnic was still going ahead even though Laois is in lockdown, would make for an interesting situation.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Stendhal festival still seems to be going ahead in Limavady in Derry on Friday 21st and Friday 28th with a capacity for 499 people.

https://www.stendhalfestival.com/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭endainoz

Stendhal festival still seems to be going ahead in Limavady in Derry on Friday 21st and Friday 28th with a capacity for 499 people.

https://www.stendhalfestival.com/

You might want to check that link again BD

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I was due to go to Stradbally this weekend, but obviously can't. although it hasn't been ruled out weirdly.
    It is apparently marshland down there, and tonight isn't helping.
    It is very unlikely I will be going this weekend, but maybe a couple of weeks if lockdowns haven't started happening everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭rubick

If anyone feels like a little chugging acid house, point your internet enabled listening device to Twitch this evening where Sean Johnston will be at the controls from 9pm as part of the A Love From Outer Space Emergency Broadcast initiative, which Lyn and I have found essential in these trying times. He usually grinds it out until about 2am, depending on the craic in chat or whether the neighbours call the peelers.

ALFOS2020
    https://www.twitch.tv/alfos2020

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Dare I say it, but the rain may have even made that better.

This topic did arise on the thread in the festival post-mortem. The rain-fetishists were advised to start a new thread in the After Hours section.

1. Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭rubick

That, as they say, is quintessential EP morning (in Antrim, anyway).

2. Advertisement
    3. Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

Seathrun66 wrote: »
      This topic did arise on the thread in the festival post-mortem. The rain-fetishists were advised to start a new thread in the After Hours section.

Haha, I'm weird, but not that weird.

4. Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

rubick wrote: »
      That, as they say, is quintessential EP morning (in Antrim, anyway).

In Slovakia for the full Summer (the lack of festivals and jittery weather meant the dilemma of where to work from wasn't a hellish one) so am not craving the Atlantic rain.

But am missing the weather build-up to EP. And maybe I've got befuddled, romaticised memories of the fest but the weather has been generally good. Given that it's in the first weekend of Sept we've done pretty well. Over the past fifteen years I only ever remember three evenings when I kept to thee tents to avoid the rain, Massive Attack in 2010 being the very worst. And on the Sunday in 2008 when the wooden temple by David Best from Burning Man was set on fire. Phoenix/A Tribe Called Quest another one. I've also never seen an audience clear so quickly as at Soul II Soul on a Sunday afternoon in the early years. Otherwise all pretty good, no?

5. Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

The (Edit - 2nd) last Monday morning before the picnic....

At this stage, there would most likely be a pile of camping gear sitting waiting patiently. With all this weather, the wellies would be included in that pile "just in case", as would some sun block for the optimist in me . Battery packs for phones would be piled up on the sideboard ready for charging.

There would be a list on the fridge for a few essentials to be picked up in the shops and some beer in the corner of the kitchen beside the coolbag resurrected from under the stairs and emptied of it's contents.

Timetables would be pretty much finalised at this stage and every now and then I would be opening Pablo's App to make sure the latest update is there. This thread would be flying with suggestions of bands, youtube links and spotify playlists.

There would be leaked photos and reports from the site and the best route to the Yellow gate would be discussed over and over again.

Tickets, touts and Toutless will be mentioned as people share their joy of getting that last minute ticket.

Whether to meet up at These Charming Men or The Roadhouse Doors may actually have been finalised.

Scruff will pop in with.....

3 (Edit - 10) .... More .... Sleeps.

6. Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭rubick

But am missing the weather build-up to EP. And maybe I've got befuddled, romaticised memories of the fest but the weather has been generally good. Given that it's in the first weekend of Sept we've done pretty well. Over the past fifteen years I only ever remember three evenings when I kept to thee tents to avoid the rain, Massive Attack in 2010 being the very worst. And on the Sunday in 2008 when the wooden temple by David Best from Burning Man was set on fire. Phoenix/A Tribe Called Quest another one. I've also never seen an audience clear so quickly as at Soul II Soul on a Sunday afternoon in the early years. Otherwise all pretty good, no?

We were chatting about this on Friday evening - you're definitely correct about ATCQ - see also both New Order and LCD in 2016, both quite heavy rain throughout their sets on the Saturday and Sunday respectively. The rain started to fall during Portishead's 2014 set too, not that anyone noticed.

By and large I've never really experienced a Picnic where it's rained every day, and the ground has always been relatively grand. Not sure what the weather in Laois has been in the run-up to this weekend, if it's anything like up here it's been pretty grim.

Sure bodhrandude would have the whole site built by now!

7. Subscribers Posts: 41,572 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Am I missing something here but EP wasn't due in 3 more sleeps.

We're 11 days out

8. Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭rubick

I thought it was this coming weekend too, actually booked this Thrs/Fri/Mon/Tues off.
      So it's cans from Friday in the back garden.

9. Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

sydthebeat wrote: »
      Am I missing something here but EP wasn't due in 3 more sleeps.

We're 11 days out

Wow, that's right, I have been thinking it would have been this weekend. Even looking at the calendar now it is obvious.

I'm due to work all weekend this coming weekend and wouldn't be able to chill in the back garden. But now I realise I'm off all of the following weekend and might plan something.

10. Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

Edited post but it has lost something now.

The pile of camping gear would probably still be there as I wouldn't have put it away after ATN. :)

11. Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

We were chatting about this on Friday evening - you're definitely correct about ATCQ - see also both New Order and LCD in 2016, both quite heavy rain throughout their sets on the Saturday and Sunday respectively. The rain started to fall during Portishead's 2014 set too, not that anyone noticed.

By and large I've never really experienced a Picnic where it's rained every day, and the ground has always been relatively grand. Not sure what the weather in Laois has been in the run-up to this weekend, if it's anything like up here it's been pretty grim.

Only one bad year where they had to put an enormous amount of woodchip down and close down the route between the main stage and Electric Arena. 2009? And that was mainly due to heavy rainfall in the weeks preceding EP.

It ain't much fun getting rained on during a gig but we've done relatively well over the years. I can deal with drizzle or light rain but a proper downpour ruins the fun and I can't remember many of those. The National in the rain in 2010 was pretty atmospheric but I much preferred the dryness of Roxy Music afterwards.

I'm fully aware I may have upset Harry or Stillill42 by this but I assure you both that I don't harbour prejudices toward those with a penchant for the wet stuff.

12. Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I'd take Gavin James in my underpants in the snow if it meant a bit of live music now, Seathrun.

13. Advertisement
    14. Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
      Snarky Snark Snark

Stillill42 wrote: »
      I'd take Gavin James in my underpants in the snow

Worlds worst fetish achievement unlocked.

15. Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I don't remember the rain during any of those. Rose-tinted memories.

And what's everybody doing for EP weekend? I expect to be crying myself to sleep, though I'd feel an awful lot worse if it was on and I was unable to make it there.

16. Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Stillill42 wrote: »
      I'd take Gavin James in my underpants in the snow if it meant a bit of live music now, Seathrun.

Take this to After Hours.

17. Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kepler21

And what's everybody doing for EP weekend? I expect to be crying myself to sleep, though I'd feel an awful lot worse if it was on and I was unable to make it there.

Walk to Marley Park and get a burger from the market; listening to my EP all time mega best playlist. Possibly pitch a tent in the back garden, (but probably not). Definitely have a couple of cans.

18. Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭rubick

I've only gone and booked the wrong weekend off. Was booked ages ago and can't change it now. Plan is to stick the tent up on Friday but it's blowing a gale up here at the moment, just experienced a tremendously hairy drive in to Belfast to work.

I have the smugness of a man that got the grass cut last night before this storm hit. Hopefully I'll have the same level of smugness at about 3pm Friday afternoon with some tunes blasting and 4 canisters deep into a deck of cider, but jeez it isn't looking good at the minute.

The festival gods know there aren't any live gigs this year, and they are angry.

19. Registered Users Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭endainoz

20. Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Fair play, Van. Don't mind those 'scientists '. Pffft. What has science ever done for us? I sense a duet with Jim Corr coming on.

Pair of dopes.

21. Registered Users Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭endainoz

And I'm totally backing Jedward in their Twitter war with the Covidiot Jim. What a time to be alive.

22. Registered Users Posts: 19,543 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

And I'm totally backing Jedward in their Twitter war with the Covidiot Jim. What a time to be alive.

It is quite something to behold

23. Advertisement
    24. Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

To be fair everything else bar the 'pseudoscience' wording made sense. But you'd need to be seriously daft to align yourself with some of the conspiracy nutters out there. Time to shut his hole and enjoy his 75th.

Still my favourite artist though.

Advertisement