Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gomo 80GB cap - best alternatives

• 20-05-2020 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi,

I am finding the Gomo 80GB data cap restrictive these days, and my girlfriend reaches her limit long before the new billing period every month.

As Gomo don't offer any alternative plans or top-ups (or bolt-ons as one company used to call them) does anyone have any advice on the next value sim only plan which includes a better data plan?

I was on the 3 SIM only plan before for €30 (I think) - all calls, and unlimited data (reached 130GB one month).

Thanks in advance (and please refrain from sharing advice on how to reduce data by using WiFi or turning background data off or not using the phone, etc., and I know it's cheap...).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Id say you will find it hard to get a sim only plan that lets you go over 130gb a month.that's way to much for a sim only plan.
    Watching what your downloading seems to be the only way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

Three has all you can eat and 60 minutes for €20 per month, never had a problem with the Data fair usage policy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Vodafone X is €20 top up every 4 weeks and gives unlimited data. Look on their website for more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 cojo78

Id say you will find it hard to get a sim only plan that lets you go over 130gb a month.that's way to much for a sim only plan.
    Watching what your downloading seems to be the only way to go.

I'm not looking for one that allows that, but for the record, Three's SIM only plan let me download 130GB with no extra charges or restrictions to the service.

Great advice, hadn't thought of that!

Jacovs wrote: »
    Vodafone X is €20 top up every 4 weeks and gives unlimited data. Look on their website for more details.

Not aware of this. Will check it out, thanks.

• Advertisement

Dymo wrote: »
    Three has all you can eat and 60 minutes for €20 per month, never had a problem with the Data fair usage policy

Yes, I would agree Three seems to be the best, but it's hard to beat €9.99 a month...

cojo78 wrote: »
    Not aware of this. Will check it out, thanks.

It turns out Vodafone X is for students only, with valid student card. Thanks for the suggestion. Three come back on top for data, Gomo for cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

How about a second GoMo SIM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Get fixed line and stop hamming the cells for everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

It turns out Vodafone X is for students only, with valid student card.

Initially it was for students only but wasn't a strict rule.

But now it's open to everyone, there is however a speed cap of 10Mbps from next month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

It turns out Vodafone X is for students only, with valid student card. Thanks for the suggestion. Three come back on top for data, Gomo for cost.

anyone can sign up, the student restriction was removed some time ago.

Is this your only internet access - you've no regular broadband/wifi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

ED E wrote: »

THIS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

I have Gomo also, it's kinda useless atm with the limit so I have a 3 Sim also, Payg, 20euro every 28 days, haven't hit any limit since March.
    Can only get DSL BB here which would be slower than 4G so waste of time, I use 3 for my work, no issues

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Yes, I would agree Three seems to be the best, but it's hard to beat €9.99 a month...

Was also gonna suggest Three. You'll only get so much for a tenner. Anything else you'll have to pay up for.

THIS

Thanks for the suggestion, good and conscientious citizen.

ED E wrote: »

Please include me in your prayers. I clearly need righteous and moral guidance from more wholesome influences than those to which I am currently accustomed.

Thank you for showing me the way.

loyatemu wrote: »
    anyone can sign up, the student restriction was removed some time ago.

Is this your only internet access - you've no regular broadband/wifi?

Between addresses regularly and can't afford to pay for a mobile and fixed line broadband at an address which will be vacant most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Cork981

I was using a GoMo sim in a 4G router (set to 3G only mode) and used over 300GB per month without being limited. I did receive texts saying I’ve used 80% then 100% but my speed was never limited.

https://www.speedtest.net/iphone/3834505376.png

I got FTTH recently so no longer needed but was very useful for the few months.

GBX wrote: »
    Was also gonna suggest Three. You'll only get so much for a tenner. Anything else you'll have to pay up for.

The tenner service was great until the first time my data was limited due to hitting the 80GB cap a day or two before the new billing period. I modified my data usage a bit the next month, and then coronavirus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭ExoPolitic

3 Just removed their fair usage policy speed cap... go back to 3 lol.

• Advertisement

Cork981 wrote: »
    I was using a GoMo sim in a 4G router (set to 3G only mode) and used over 300GB per month without being limited. I did receive texts saying I’ve used 80% then 100% but my speed was never limited.

https://www.speedtest.net/iphone/3834505376.png

I got FTTH recently so no longer needed but was very useful for the few months.

I wonder would this still work. Speeds are definitely being limited at 80GB now.

What router did you use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Cork981

I wonder would this still work. Speeds are definitely being limited at 80GB now.

What router did you use?

I used the TP-LINK MR6400, I also changed the APN to data.myeirmobile.ie

I used 280GB last month and >100GB this month before I got FTTH last week.

I’m on a somewhat rural tower that was recently upgraded with the Huawei SRAN gear with 5G.

Cork981 wrote: »
    I used the TP-LINK MR6400, I also changed the APN to data.myeirmobile.ie

I used 280GB last month and >100GB this month before I got FTTH last week.

I’m on a somewhat rural tower that was recently upgraded with the Huawei SRAN gear with 5G.

Didn't know TPLink make routers that take Sims. Thanks for the info.

What's FTTH?

Advertisement