Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MFL Teacher Interview

Options
  • 20-05-2020 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi there! I have been invited for an interview in just two days time and I’m slightly panicked. Part of the interview will be conducted in Spanish and I was just wondering if anyone here would know what type of questions are likely to be asked. Will the foreign language part be general conversation or more teaching specific? This is my first interview in Ireland as I have only ever taught in the UK up to now and the process there is very different. There, you teach a short lesson to a real class in front of the interview panel and that’s usually where I do well! I’m a nervous wreck in interview rooms but put me in front of a class and I don’t care who’s watching! Any help on how a teaching interview in general or an MFL specific interview are conducted would be very very appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Bell Eve wrote: »
    Hi there! I have been invited for an interview in just two days time and I’m slightly panicked. Part of the interview will be conducted in Spanish and I was just wondering if anyone here would know what type of questions are likely to be asked. Will the foreign language part be general conversation or more teaching specific? This is my first interview in Ireland as I have only ever taught in the UK up to now and the process there is very different. There, you teach a short lesson to a real class in front of the interview panel and that’s usually where I do well! I’m a nervous wreck in interview rooms but put me in front of a class and I don’t care who’s watching! Any help on how a teaching interview in general or an MFL specific interview are conducted would be very very appreciated!!

Some target language questions I have been asked in interviews:
    Where you did you visit in the TL country?
    How often have you been there?
    Is it important to study a language?
    What is the most/least difficult part of learning a language?
    How would you teach the past tense to second years? And what would you do to change that for fifth years.
    Believe it or not, I was asked about students changing levels and not taking advice.
    Don't worry too much about the language part - some interviewers like to f*** interviewees over - I was asked about a CPD course I did four years ago in detail.
    You could also be asked to talk about simple things like your pastimes.

How do you know you are going to be tested in the Target Language? I have been to some where no language was asked. You could be asked to outline how you would teach a particular topic? What plans would you have for TY?

General question relating to language - do you know the new specification? What do you think of it? (In your case, does it differ from England?)
    Should students with AEN/SEN try a language?
    BIG ONE - DIFFERENTIATION - how to you do it?

For my own information - how is the interview to be conducted?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Bell Eve

Thank you so much, that’s so useful!!
    The interview invitation email said ‘the interview will be conducted in Spanish and English’ so I’m certain there will be a language component, just no idea how detailed that part will be. I do know, however, that if I’m asked to talk in Spanish in detail about CPD or anything technical I will just blank completely - that seems to be how my brain reacts to panic :( It will be an online video call interview, which is only going to add to my stress! Thank you so much for your reply, it’s given me lots of great topics to do some prep work!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

Don't worry about the technical / pedagogical questions in the TL...I would just learn off my piece and bring the question back to that. You can also have your notes in front of you.

Anytime I've been asked questions in the TL in the interview, it was always very basic!

Best of luck with it! Your experience in England will really stand to you, in my interview they were most interested in that!

The interview invitation email said ‘the interview will be conducted in Spanish and English’ so I’m certain there will be a language component, just no idea how detailed that part will be. I do know, however, that if I’m asked to talk in Spanish in detail about CPD or anything technical I will just blank completely - that seems to be how my brain reacts to panic :( It will be an online video call interview, which is only going to add to my stress! Thank you so much for your reply, it’s given me lots of great topics to do some prep work!

You're welcome. You won't get asked anything like that ... that was one experience I had .... the job was probably gone (second RPT) and that was a way to mark me down. Don't stress about the oral bit ... it will be over as quickly as it started. The panel want to get the 'whole' person not just their speaking skills. It is important but you have studied the language 3/4 years, erasmus etc. An interview is a stressful situation and allowances are made for that.

Spanish teachers are few and far between. I don't teach Spanish but I've never been out of work - it was a long struggle but I finally got my CID. Subbing in different schools has been the best thing I've ever done in terms of classroom management and my reputation. The Spanish teachers I know have found work easily. Spanish is also becoming popular. Best of luck.

Thank you! I’ll brush up on as many areas as possible and hope for the best!

I’ll definitely have plenty to talk about if they ask me about teaching in England!

• Advertisement

Spanish teachers are few and far between. I don't teach Spanish but I've never been out of work - it was a long struggle but I finally got my CID. Subbing in different schools has been the best thing I've ever done in terms of classroom management and my reputation. The Spanish teachers I know have found work easily. Spanish is also becoming popular. Best of luck.

The teacher employment system here seems so complicated! I worked in two schools in England, both were full time permanent contracts and that was that! I only left the first school because I wanted a change to teaching MFL in a primary school. I now have to get my head around FTCs, CIDs, RPTs, surplus permanent teachers, panels, panel rights and whatever else there is! It seems exhausting!

The teacher employment system here seems so complicated! I worked in two schools in England, both were full time permanent contracts and that was that! I only left the first school because I wanted a change to teaching MFL in a primary school. I now have to get my head around FTCs, CIDs, RPTs, surplus permanent teachers, panels, panel rights and whatever else there is! It seems exhausting!

You need two full years RPT contracts with hours in the third year to qualify for CID.

For post primary, there are no panels or panel rights - these are for primary.

Look up the ASTI/TUI websites for important information re pay, contracts etc. It is also important that you join a union.

I don't know but I would assume your years in England are recognised. You need to send on info to Payroll so that you start on the correct point of the salary scale.

Interview over and it was as big of a disaster as I anticipated! The panic set in and I bumbled my way incoherently through it.

For anyone who comes across this post in the future, the questions I was asked in Spanish were:
    -Where did you get a passion for Spanish?
    -Have you ever been to Spain?
    -Where did you learn Spanish?
    -What is your experience of doing CBA1 with second years?
    -Have you ever taught as part of a team?
    -What are the benefits/disadvantages of team teaching.
    -Tell me about a lesson that did no go according to plan and how you dealt with it.

I’m not expecting to get the job so I’m chalking it up to experience and now I have a better idea of what a future interview could be like!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 funkypumpkins

Interview over and it was as big of a disaster as I anticipated! The panic set in and I bumbled my way incoherently through it.

For anyone who comes across this post in the future, the questions I was asked in Spanish were:
    -Tell me about a lesson that did no go according to plan and how you dealt with it.

I’m not expecting to get the job so I’m chalking it up to experience and now I have a better idea of what a future interview could be like!

Aw I am sorry to hear that. I trained in MFL in England and I am home after finishing my NQT second term. At least you are getting interviews, I am still not recognised until I go back and pass my NQT in England. Hoping the teaching council will oblige but I may have to redo my PME, in which case I'll go for primary as I prefer teaching the little people and my time in education in England was soul destroying.

To be fair, I have been asked those kinda questions in England. I guess main difference is not doing a lesson obs as part of the interview. Spanish is definitely popular so it will work out.

It's good for posters in the future. That was a substantial amount of questions in the target language. Don't be downhearted it is early days yet. As you went through the English system, in Ireland you have to do a second interview at the end of first contract. These interviews take place at this time of the year and unless the applicant has done something terrible during the year or strings pulled by a local (this happened to me in one school), they usually get the job because some principals like continuity for their students. The 'real' jobs are usually advertised late July/early August unless ETB who create panels. You will soon get used to the system and will preempt the questions. If you are unsuccessful, make sure you request your marks - it not be your language skills that are liking. The ETBs like to have 'suitability to the role' which allows them to do what they like. I don't know if this has changed but this was the experiences I have had. My advice would be stay well away from the ETBs unless you're really stuck. If you are still looking in September, print out a letter of application and your CV and deliver them to the schools in which you would like to work in/easily commutable. Ask to meet principal or deputy - it makes such a difference when you put a face to a CV. Now that is going to be different this year as we don't know what situation we will be in September but if schools are open, they will need substitute teachers ... it gets your foot in the door. Also register for the service provided by educationposts. Best of luck, chalk today up to experience. You will get there eventually! Never give up.

Three books that may be helpful by Steve Smith - the Language toolkit, How to be an outstanding MFL teacher and breaking the sound barrier. The first two are excellent. Also look up the PDST MFL Alive conference notes. If there is anything, I'll come back.

• Advertisement

I am still not recognised until I go back and pass my NQT in England. Hoping the teaching council will oblige but I may have to redo my PME, in which case I'll go for primary as I prefer teaching the little people and my time in education in England was soul destroying.

I actually did a KS2/3 PGCE but when I moved back here I applied for primary with the Teaching Council as I had loved the 4 years I did teaching in primary but hated my time in secondary! I’ve been given conditional registration but I have loads of shortfalls to make up. Since then though, I’ve done a few hours a week teaching in secondary here and I’ve loved it - it’s completely different to the UK so don’t give up hope on it yet! I’m actually in the process of getting my Teaching Council application ready for secondary recognition so that I can be paid properly but there probably isn’t even much point putting in the application yet anyway!

Three books that may be helpful by Steve Smith - the Language toolkit, How to be an outstanding MFL teacher and breaking the sound barrier. The first two are excellent. Also look up the PDST MFL Alive conference notes. If there is anything, I'll come back.

I was considering Breaking the Sound Barrier as my next purchase and I’ve got Gianfranco Conti’s new Spanish Sentence Builders book on its way to me at the moment! Have you used the ‘Conti’ method at all?

I was considering Breaking the Sound Barrier as my next purchase and I’ve got Gianfranco Conti’s new Spanish Sentence Builders book on its way to me at the moment! Have you used the ‘Conti’ method at all?

No I’ve heard of it but have not researched/used it. Breaking the sound barrier wasn’t great .... I got fed up after first/second chapter where I read the other two cover to cover. I would probably give it another read but I gave it to a colleague to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 funkypumpkins

I actually did a KS2/3 PGCE but when I moved back here I applied for primary with the Teaching Council as I had loved the 4 years I did teaching in primary but hated my time in secondary! I’ve been given conditional registration but I have loads of shortfalls to make up. Since then though, I’ve done a few hours a week teaching in secondary here and I’ve loved it - it’s completely different to the UK so don’t give up hope on it yet! I’m actually in the process of getting my Teaching Council application ready for secondary recognition so that I can be paid properly but there probably isn’t even much point putting in the application yet anyway!

Oh right, so you can essentially teach both. That is so handy. I tried to use my Qualified Teacher Status to register too but it means nothing here. I am still unqualified until I pass my third term. And I had an awful time in my last school with horrible behaviour and me being a scapegoat for a non working school policy. So going back to England is not desirable right now

Personally, I find the Teaching Council to be completely narrow minded and unhelpful. The big one for them is not having finished my induction in the UK and they won't entertain an exception by recognising my studies or doing my Induction in Ireland. My undergrad is Irish- French and Spanish. I don't feel safe going back especially with their covid19 response. I have started the complaint process with the TC and written to Joe McHugh/education spokespeople and I am waiting for a response.

I'd like to try secondary here but if I am told to go back to the UK to finish, I might have to despite having my family and a partner here. But if I do the PME, I'll more than likely do primary as studying my PGCE and master's again makes no sense and I've enjoyed the subbing I have done in primary here. Also you get panel rights which isn't a thing in secondary. Time will tell but I won't totally give up on teaching teens again.

Anyway, I digress...Another poster was on the ball. A lot of the interviews currently are for jobs already taken and readvertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭manodepeeple

Anyone else click on this thread coz they misread the title? No? OK, sorry, carry on...

Anyone else click on this thread coz they misread the title? No? OK, sorry, carry on...

What did you think the title said?!

I'd like to try secondary here but if I am told to go back to the UK to finish, I might have to despite having my family and a partner here. But if I do the PME, I'll more than likely do primary as studying my PGCE and master's again makes no sense and I've enjoyed the subbing I have done in primary here. Also you get panel rights which isn't a thing in secondary. Time will tell but I won't totally give up on teaching teens again.

You’ve done two terms of your NQT year, it might be worth going back for one more! I know how hellish teaching in the UK can be though, so I completely understand you not wanting to do that! But you could find a school there, do a term, get your NQT status cert and then leave again!

Personally, I haven’t had any issues with the Teaching Council yet. I made sure I gave them every single document they could possibly require and certified letters for anything I had that didn’t quite fit with what they wanted. It took them almost 5 months to get back to me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭ngunners

No I’ve heard of it but have not researched/used it. Breaking the sound barrier wasn’t great .... I got fed up after first/second chapter where I read the other two cover to cover. I would probably give it another read but I gave it to a colleague to read.

Strongly disagree with this. I thought Breaking the Sound Barrier was the best/ most original of the books you mentioned.

For anyone interested in teaching using the Conti method I suggest joining the Global Innovative Language Teachers Facebook group run by Conti and Steve Smith. There are some excellent resources there.

ngunners wrote: »
    Strongly disagree with this. I thought Breaking the Sound Barrier was the best/ most original of the books you mentioned.

For anyone interested in teaching using the Conti method I suggest joining the Global Innovative Language Teachers Facebook group run by Conti and Steve Smith. There are some excellent resources there.

That's just my opinion - maybe I have my own technique mastered at this stage. I think I read somewhere that it is intended for teachers starting out but that could be said about any of the three.

Yes I concur re GILT - have a load of resources ready for September!!

Advertisement