Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toilet Didn't Come with Fixing Kit

• 20-05-2020 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭

We bought a toilet in B & Q pre-covid and fit it about a month ago. I didn't notice until the toilet was in place that it didn't come with a fixing kit to secure to the ground. I called B&Q to see if I could get one sorted this morning and they told me they don't come with fixing kits, as people try to install them themselves and end up breaking the toilet. They advised I'd need to talk to the plumber who installs it. Does that sound right? I mean, fair enough if that's standard practice, but I just want to make sure before I start looking for a generic fixing kit as it sounds silly to me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

what do you mean by a fixing kit

its only two screws.
    from the link
    Product information

This open back close-coupled toilet from Plumbsure's Bodmin range comes with a standard close lid and white seat. It also includes dual flush.

Only fixings included
    Compatibility: Horizontal, vertical, left or right soil stack direction

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Apologies - I thought that would be the universal name for it I guess. What I meant is as you've interpreted though. I would have thought 2 screws, 2 plugs and maybe caps for the screws or something.

Would "only fixings included" not mean fixings to attach to the the ground? It just seems mad that they'd sell it without the kit to fit it to the ground, but I've never bought a toilet before so wouldn't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

There's no kit. Its a few screws into the concrete or timber floor

rob316 wrote: »
    There's no kit. Its a few screws into the concrete or timber floor

That's fair enough. First time fitting a toilet so wasn't sure if it would be specific per toilet. Thanks for helping clear it up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

A lot of plumbers now Tec-7 them to the floor now and don't use screws.

• Advertisement

A lot of plumbers now Tec-7 them to the floor now and don't use screws.

That's interesting - might be an easier option. I'll check that out - thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Any toilet that I have installed came with plastic plugs that fit into the holes in the ceramic to prevent you from cracking the ceramic with a screw. (Or they have plastic brackets that fix to the floor to hold the toilet in place)

I wouldnt be comfortable securing a toilet with just my own screws and I would also expect caps to cover the holes.

However, this is a budget toilet so its not that surprising tbh.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Any toilet that I have installed came with plastic plugs that fit into the holes in the ceramic to prevent you from cracking the ceramic with a screw. (Or they have plastic brackets that fix to the floor to hold the toilet in place)

I wouldnt be comfortable securing a toilet with just my own screws and I would also expect caps to cover the holes.

However, this is a budget toilet so its not that surprising tbh.

Could certainly be that it's a budget toilet, so missing screws.

Advertisement