Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgradable?

Options
  • 20-05-2020 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭

I have a pc I self built and starting to show its age

Is there anything that I could upgrade to give it a bit of a boost? Id say the CPU would be the main issue

Cheers :cool:

CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 50 °C
    Deneb 45nm Technology
    RAM
    12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 803MHz (9-11-11-28)
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK Computer INC. M5A78L-M/USB3 (AM3R2)
    Graphics
    DELL E1913 (1440x900@60Hz)
    3067MB ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics (ASUStek Computer Inc)
    Storage
    447GB SanDisk Ultra II 480GB (SATA (SSD))

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Generally, no.

Should still be OK for general use, but what are you finding it's specifically getting slow for?

The CPU is 10+ years old. Really it's time for a new PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Homelander wrote: »
    Generally, no.

Should still be OK for general use, but what are you finding it's specifically getting slow for?

The CPU is 10+ years old. Really it's time for a new PC.

Ah just started to play some games, like Streets of Rage 4 came out, but not a hardcore gamer

After that the hardest id push it is converting MP3s

Was just always wondering, like if someone said this CPU for say E60 or something then why not throw it in

Least I know thanks for fast reply

Well the CPU should be OK for Streets of Rage 4, but nothing more intensive than that really.

You would need a new graphics card, your HD3650/3850/3870 would've been a mid-range card around 2008!

You can pick up something 2nd hand for probably €30 that would get the job done.

CEX have an R9 270X for €35 with warranty for example.

Anything that will run OK on an X4 965 will run well on a 270X.

I did play around with graphics setting and seemed to ok, just the pc has a bit of a fit when I close the game

One of the lads told me about a free GTA, taken about a hour to install so I won't hold my breath for playing

Graphics card definitely food for thought and reasonable price at that

Your CPU is totally obsolete but with the 270X I linked, something like GTA V would run at high settings at high framerate fine. Assuming your power supply has the connections. Can link a different, more suitable card if not.

By comparison on your old card it would probably struggle badly at the lowest settings, even though it's a game from 2013.

Other than that though it'd be time for a new PC. Your CPU is actually so old that many modern games wouldn't even boot on it as it's missing instruction sets.

You could pick up something significantly faster/more modern for about €200 2nd hand either.

• Advertisement

Yeah tried GTA V and did not like that one bit, as I said not really a gamer so had an idea the pc wouldnt like games thrown at it

I paid E380 for it 9 years ago and then I had to replace motherboard a few years later, crazy to think you could modernize it for half that now

I was looking for the brother before and see one or two places, mostly dell from im guessing office or that, one big place on the Southside near M50

Advertisement