Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtual Races

Options
  • 20-05-2020 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Why do people do virtual runs/races. Paying money for what really is a training run to get a t shirt and a medal. Not like you are on closed roads or racing against others.

There seems to be a market for it which is fine and if someone is willing to pay than fair play to the companies facilitating.

You could have a sports club, school or whatever thinking that you mean all we need to do is a virtual race and we will get money? No organizing, making sambo's, drinks, marshalls, goodie bags etc.

I'd hate to see running go down this road.

I just don't get the appeal as you won't get that extra % that you do when you cross that start line with a number on your chest, shorts.

Waits to be shot apart but no point blank shots as keep the social distance

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I guess it depends on the motivation for racing in the first place. I kind of agree with you but I can kind of see the appeal, especially now when there is no racing.

It's still something of a shared experience, something to target and can push yourself harder than a normal training run. Look at the 5K time trial run through this site a few weeks ago for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Why do people do virtual runs/races. Paying money for what really is a training run to get a t shirt and a medal. Not like you are on closed roads or racing against others.

There seems to be a market for it which is fine and if someone is willing to pay than fair play to the companies facilitating.

You could have a sports club, school or whatever thinking that you mean all we need to do is a virtual race and we will get money? No organizing, making sambo's, drinks, marshalls, goodie bags etc.

I'd hate to see running go down this road.

I just don't get the appeal as you won't get that extra % that you do when you cross that start line with a number on your chest, shorts.

Waits to be shot apart but no point blank shots as keep the social distance

My thinking is how is it comparable to the event itself unless covering the same route/course?

Taking DCM as an example as its fresh in the mind.
    I intend to do DCM course on some random weekend but will be covering the full route with no breaks on the watch recording it.

I don't see how Johnny in Kerry or Mary in Donegal can do a virtual DCM on their local roads and compare it to same.
    It shouldn't be the case everyone turns up in Fitzwilliam Sq on the Oct Bank Holiday Sunday but there are many days between late June and the end of the year it could be done.

Easier again would be to cover the DCM race series or GIR using the exact route as the park is accessible and can be done anytime.

Some of the virtual runs now have people breaking up the distance over days, plus you have the stravaw*nkers who pause the watch for breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

https://www.facebook.com/virtualrunireland/

https://www.facebook.com/irishvirtualruns/

Seems to be market for it?
    Can't say I've ever met anyone who has bought one mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

adrian522 wrote: »
    I guess it depends on the motivation for racing in the first place. I kind of agree with you but I can kind of see the appeal, especially now when there is no racing.

It's still something of a shared experience, something to target and can push yourself harder than a normal training run. Look at the 5K time trial run through this site a few weeks ago for example.

The one on here is free but giving someone €10-20 to do it. Just seems bonkers but fair play to the companies who facility them. Don't begrudge them. Just not for me.
    My thinking is how is it comparable to the event itself unless covering the same route/course?

Taking DCM as an example as its fresh in the mind.
    I intend to do DCM course on some random weekend but will be covering the full route with no breaks on the watch recording it.

I don't see how Johnny in Kerry or Mary in Donegal can do a virtual DCM on their local roads and compare it to same.
    It shouldn't be the case everyone turns up in Fitzwilliam Sq on the Oct Bank Holiday Sunday but there are many days between late June and the end of the year it could be done.

Easier again would be to cover the DCM race series or GIR using the exact route as the park is accessible and can be done anytime.

Some of the virtual runs now have people breaking up the distance over days, plus you have the stravaw*nkers who pause the watch for breaks.

I think people even pausing them over a few days now and screenshot of watch than strava even.

If the big city marathons go this way it will be a sad day. I did London/New York marathon this year. Have the medal and t-shirt. Just ran 100 laps around a field.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SnappyDresser

I have done a few virtual races. Some for charity, some for some interesting medals. I have access to a flat 5k route that is closed to cars and has nice views. Run them flat out but time is around 20 secs slower than normal 5k race. Still keeps one in sorta race fit mode. Its going to be long time before we can race shoulder to shoulder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,047 ✭✭✭✭event

Paying money for what really is a training run to get a t shirt and a medal.

Tats all some people want. I know loads of people who, pre covid, eneterd every 5k and 10k they could get to. Never improved times really, they jjist wanted their medals. Fair enough really

For people in Dublin, yeah. But people arent going to travel to run the actual route for no reason. Cos its still a virtual run, even if you run the route

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The one on here is free but giving someone €10-20 to do it. Just seems bonkers but fair play to the companies who facility them. Don't begrudge them. Just not for me.

I think people even pausing them over a few days now and screenshot of watch than strava even.

If the big city marathons go this way it will be a sad day. I did London/New York marathon this year. Have the medal and t-shirt. Just ran 100 laps around a field.

You can already do aload of the marathons on your threadmill, it will raise the incline and lower it etc

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

You can already do aload of the marathons on your threadmill, it will raise the incline and lower it etc

The language lover in me just had a stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I’ll admit I’ve done a virtual run this year. It had a percentage of profit going to a good charity and it was over a month - so you could run 25 or 50km in small segments over the month. It was brilliant motivation for me to keep running during the lockdown when no parkrun or races to do. Medal and T-shirt are lockdown related so a nice “souvenir” if that’s the right word!
    When we are back to normal I won’t do virtual races but for now they are filling a gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Toffeeboy

I have done 1 virtual, but that was a virtual marathon to get into NYC marathon last year :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Toffeeboy wrote: »
    I have done 1 virtual, but that was a virtual marathon to get into NYC marathon last year :-)

I’d never pay for one of these, but if someone wants to shell out their hard earned cash for the privilege and a t shirt I’ve no issue with that.

Much better craic, banter & sandbagging with the TT races organised on here and they are free!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Toffeeboy

I’d never pay for one of these, but if someone wants to shell out their hard earned cash for the privilege and a t shirt I’ve no issue with that.

Much better craic, banter & sandbagging with the TT races organised on here and they are free!

TbL

Only reason I did it, was because it was that or pay a travel agent to get into New York. Cheaper though the Virtual. I would have no interest in paying for a T-shirt/medal for a virtual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Toffeeboy wrote: »
    Only reason I did it, was because it was that or pay a travel agent to get into New York. Cheaper though the Virtual. I would have no interest in paying for a T-shirt/medal for a virtual.

Was replying in general. Didn’t even realise a virtual race would/could be acceptable to qualify.

Fair play

Like I said it wouldn’t be my cup of tea but no problem with anyone who wants to do it.

I like to race with others around me and try and chase down people ahead of me, brings out a different level of performance (although the current state of me all I’d see is people’s backs :) )

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Reminds me of an issue last year I had when organizing my local club race, someone who had already entered emailed to ask could they do it virtually as they didn't realize they couldn't make it that day, being helpful I said why not (being a club run race you try to be as accommodating to people as you can), just send on your garmin/strava screenshot. The following week they send me the screenshot of them completing another (well known race series) event of the same distance!! When I pointed out that this doesn't really count as a "virtual" race they got pretty irate and saying we didn't have it in our terms and conditions:eek: .
    Didn't bother trying to argue as you can't with that mentality so just sent the medal and t-shirt which they just effectively bought. A few people will ask can they do it virtually and we wouldn't have a problem with it but needless to say won't be facilitating that again!
    Virtual races I can see the point of (not for me) but can't understand that attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

We’ve organised a virtual 5k league in the club, every second week thru May and June. Great interest at all levels. Good to keep people focussed and retain a club vibe. V different from paying for a virtual event, which wouldn’t be my thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Sussex18

It's not comparable to 'the real thing' but it's all that we have for the moment. You don't have to figure it out. If it's not for, that's fine, don't worry about other people.

It's entirely possible I think to give my all in a 5k,like we did on Boards a few weeks ago. I think effort and nd meaning would be harder to sustain over longer distances though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

I joined one yesterday for motivation to lose weight plus I like medals, I've always had an unusual interest in sports medals. I might do more of them over the years as I am too autistic to be in a sports team, if I wasn't socially inept I would play Gaelic football or soccer. I played Gaelic football as a teen and I have many bad memories of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Sussex18

I think sports teams, especially when growing up can be very competitive, they are not for everyone

Advertisement