Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance selling - item not received 30 day limit

Options
  • 20-05-2020 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question in relation to the right to a refund for delayed or non-delivery for distance selling under EU law. I bought an item from the UK, normally it should have arrived within 4 working days, but almost 2 weeks after posting there is still no sign of it. It is a high value item so it is bothering me a lot. If it doesn't turn up 30 days from posting, am I then entitled to a refund or must I request another delivery date with the seller first? The regulations are a little unclear on this as I did not agree a delivery date with the retailer first. I plan to flag the non-arrival with the retailer tomorrow (so they can investigate) but want to be careful with what I say in case it goes to chargeback. Thanks.
    Edit: Here's a link to the relevant regulations:
    https://www.eccireland.ie/shopping-online-consumer-rights/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

How are they sending it? There are serious delays with the royal mail at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Seller chose to send it via Royal Mail instead of courier, status for days on end is leaving the UK & handed to delivery partner, but an Post don't have it, so the status makes no sense at all. Either way though, I am assuming whatever way it was sent is irrelevant (to me as a consumer) and after 30 days have expired I can request a refund or redelivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Royal mail parcels are taking anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks at the moment. I've had two not arrive at all (8 weeks and counting). Don't hold your breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Darwin wrote: »
    I am assuming whatever way it was sent is irrelevant (to me as a consumer) and after 30 days have expired I can request a refund or redelivery?

If there are significant delays with the postal system and it’s pandemic-related, you might have some difficulty getting them to post the item again if they know one is already in-transit but delayed.

I had similar issues a few months back before all this kicked off. An item had been posted and was supposed to be sent by courier. Eventually I got a refund and the item actually arrived two days later (but not by courier).

Advertisement