Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would my PC be ok for new games if I get a new graphics card?

Options
  • 20-05-2020 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

2700k processor https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-2700K+%40+3.50GHz&id=881

8gb ddr3 ram

Nvidia GeForce 560 gtx ti (To be replaced)

I'm going to replace the graphics card with one that is compatible with the windows 10x emulator. I think an incremental upgrade would be enough for this. I'm wondering if it's worth getting a good graphics card so I can use it with new games as well? Or would I be better just getting what I need for the emulator and getting a new system altogether if I want to use one for gaming?

Haven't played PC games for a while and am not familiar with the minimum/recommended requirements for new games. I remember when Crisis used to provide a benchmark, so I don't know if there is a modern equivalent now..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It can game but you will bottleneck most GPUs over €200.
    Not bad as a stop-gap though.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3412-intel-i7-2600k-revisit-2018-benchmarks-vs-9900k-ryzen-more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    It can game but you will bottleneck most GPUs over €200.
    Not bad as a stop-gap though.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3412-intel-i7-2600k-revisit-2018-benchmarks-vs-9900k-ryzen-more
    So it's worth getting a graphics card for gaming rather than just the most basic one with a wddm 2.4 driver then? (That is what it needs to work with the emulator.)

Any recommendations? Don't remember what the PSU is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Depends on the game but generally your CPU is passable. What do you plan playing, or what sort of games?

Some games may bottleneck, others won't. Generally speaking, probably something like a GTX1650 Super or RX580 8GB would be fine.

Other thing is that 8GB of RAM is starting to be on the lower-end of things. Is your current 8GB 2x4GB sticks? Adding another 2x4GB is cheap and would be a decent boost as well.

Good idea to upgrade the RAM while I'm at it.

I'd look for something like TF2 that you can play online and is fun and not super-competitive. [If my connection is up to it. I have fibre to the home, but the computer is at the end of an extender over the power cables. Won't know what the ping is like until I get a long enough lan cable, as it's currently using a not-brilliant wifi dongle.]

I also particularly liked Shadow of Mordor, which ran ok on my existing setup.

Don't know what the most recent counterparts of those would be. But they would be the most demanding games I'd be looking at.

What sort of rig would you need to run a VR headset? The computer is in a 30 sq metre room so there would be plenty of room to set one up at some stage.

Both those cards look good and support at least wddm 2.4. Will most likely get one, the one with the most modern driver I suppose if there is a difference there. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Details of ram, motherboard and PSU:
    ASUS P8P67 LE B3 Revision - Motherboard - ATX - LGA1155 Socket - iP67 - USB 3.0, FireWire
    Corsair XMS3 - Memory - 8 GB : 2 x 4 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR3 - 1333 MHz / PC3-10600 - CL9 - 1.5
    Zalman PSU 600W Ultra Silent SLI

Yeah there are slots for more ram. Two of the same is £50 on Amazon so it's a no-brainer really.

Advertisement