Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a bike that hasn't had VRT paid

Options
  • 20-05-2020 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi guys,

i'm on the lookout for a new bike and one has popped up that has been in the country for a couple of years on foreign plates so hasn't had the VRT paid .

If I was to purchase I would then be liable for VRT penalties of course at several hundred euro.

Has anybody been through this situation before and have any first hand information ?

Usually I would avoid such a situation but if the bike is a very good example at a favourable price I am more inclined to it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

What country is it from?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

What country is it from?

The UK .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Get the seller to pay it.

I wouldnt bother my arse tbh. The hastle is not worth it unless its free.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

If you have a hand written receipt stating you bought it in the north and rode it down then you will be fine. Even better if you have a ferry receipt from the uk

Seller should be sorting it but many private sellers don't bother

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

listermint wrote: »
    Get the seller to pay it.

I wouldnt bother my arse tbh. The hastle is not worth it unless its free.

I would usually have that same train of thought , I guess the lockdown has gotten to me :D
    Blanchy90 wrote: »
    If you have a hand written receipt stating you bought it in the north and rode it down then you will be fine. Even better if you have a ferry receipt from the uk

Seller should be sorting it but many private sellers don't bother

Yeah many don't for whatever reason :confused: for the small amount that it generally is compared to the price of the bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

I've used a handwritten receipt before with the price of the bike, and the date at the top.

Advertisement