Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Drill/driver combi pack

• 20-05-2020 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi, looking to buy a cordless drill and impact driver combi pack for evening use. Making garden furniture etc. What's the best for the money? Budget around €300.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,146 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Rmg72 wrote: »
    Hi, looking to buy a cordless drill and impact driver combi pack for evening use. Making garden furniture etc. What's the best for the money?

What money...where? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭Rmg72

Serious gear. But too expensive for what I'm looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Serious gear. But too expensive for what I'm looking for.

Here’s a mad idea....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I went with the dewalt 18v brushless set, truly awesome weapons

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Here’s a mad idea....

Think we're playing the price is right or a variation.
    Only kidding, but folks are happy to help but you need to indicate what your budget is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭Rmg72

Good stuff. I'll have a look. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Good stuff. I'll have a look. Thanks

I have the Makita 18v brushless and it's excellent.

I think it's this model , here's a combo offer , you may need a bit set too.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/makita-dlx2283tj-18v-5-0ah-li-ion-lxt-brushless-cordless-combi-drill-impact-driver-twin-pack/723gt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

I haven't checked prices in a while but 599£ for that drill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

18V go with brush less if you can afford it. If not then go with Makita or DeWalt non brushless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,146 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I haven't checked prices in a while but 599£ for that drill?

That's a drill that needs to be earning it's keep 9-5 or later. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Why is an impact driver needed to drive wood screws

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭fran426ft

I ordered a DeWalt DCK266M2T kit today. Been wanting a decent combo kit for a while and figured I wouldn't go too far wrong with them. £249 and a used parcel wizard NI address. Seemed like a ok deal compared to most places

https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-dck266m2t-gb-18v-xr-cordless-brushless-combi-drill-impact-driver-twin-pack/p88353

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I had to replace my (stolen) Makita combi drill last week, so had a look at the specs.

In terms of 18V combi drills, the difference in price across the various Makita models seems to come down to torque.

The top of the range (DHP481) is rated for

Drill Capacity: Concrete (mm): 16
    Drill Capacity: Metal (mm): 13
    Drill Capacity: Wood (mm): 76

Whereas the cheapest (DHP453Z) will do

Drill Capacity: Concrete (mm): 13
    Drill Capacity: Metal (mm): 13
    Drill Capacity: Wood (mm): 36

Not a massive amount of difference given that the 481 is about three times the price and has three times the max torque on the spec sheet. You could buy a cheap SDS for the difference.

As was pointed out in another thread, decent quality bits make a big difference and aren't expensive.

fran426ft wrote: »
    I ordered a DeWalt DCK266M2T kit today. Been wanting a decent combo kit for a while and figured I wouldn't go too far wrong with them. £249 and a used parcel wizard NI address. Seemed like a ok deal compared to most places

https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-dck266m2t-gb-18v-xr-cordless-brushless-combi-drill-impact-driver-twin-pack/p88353
    Having checked my order status its marked as on hold now so maybe they don't like I used a parcel wizard address. Just be warned if you do the same yours could be put on hold also.

Why is an impact driver needed to drive wood screws

Because they are a revolution.

You wouldn't type that sentence if you used one regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Have this myself great piece of kit got some good impact bits as well

Having checked my order status its marked as on hold now so maybe they don't like I used a parcel wizard address. Just be warned if you do the same yours could be put on hold also.

Lucky.

Cos you should cancel that order

This is way better

https://www.mytoolshed.co.uk/dewalt-dck266p2t-18v-xr-brushless-twin-pack-5-0ah-kit

I bought my DeWalt table saw from them

listermint wrote: »
    Lucky.

This is way better

https://www.mytoolshed.co.uk/dewalt-dck266p2t-18v-xr-brushless-twin-pack-5-0ah-kit

Screwfix are doing some great deals on Milwaukee as well

Screwfix are doing some great deals on Milwaukee as well

They won't be as cheap as the one I linked nor brushless for that money.

I'm on the fence about Milwaukee frankly I think they've a savage marketing team but are extremely over priced.

• Advertisement

I'm on the fence about Milwaukee frankly I think they've a savage marketing team but are extremely over priced.

No you're right they won't be as cheap but screwfix are pumping them out a hell of a lot cheaper than any of the other HW stores and are a decent piece of kit, Dewalt are far outstripping Makita and others because they are so much cheaper.

Lucky.

This is way better

£28 more for same drill and driver but with 5Ah batteries instead of 4Ah. Good deal but I wouldn't say way better.

That's said if I do have to cancel I'm open to suggestions of better deals. Doesn't need to be DeWalt as I'm currently not tied to any cordless system, just brushless and great bang for buck.

£28 more for same drill and driver but with 5Ah batteries instead of 4Ah. Good deal but I wouldn't say way better.

It's not the same drill......

And the 5AH batts are far more expensive.

But sure look.... It's the same drill... Right....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Same here in regards to Milwaukee. They have a great range of tools but I've found their chucks on their drills aren't great.
    I've had a makita set for almost 10 years and apart from replacing the batteries they're still going strong.

The kit I ordered from Toolstation is DCK266M2T
    The kit you linked to from mytoolshead is DCK266P2T
    Both product page descriptions list the drill as DCD796. Did I miss something?
    The M and P in the Dewalt product code designate the battery size for each kit.

I do agree that the 5Ah batteries are more expensive but for my needs 4Ah is probably fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Fran is correct. The key is in the product description..... xxx266xxx

5ah vs 4 ah..... that’s the only decision really, and for the vast majority, the 4ah runtime coupled with the brushless tools will run for a hell of a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

dodzy wrote: »
    5ah vs 4 ah..... that’s the only decision really, and for the vast majority, the 4ah runtime coupled with the brushless tools will run for a hell of a long time.
    I have noticed with my Makita lawnmower that the 5Ah batteries seem to be able to supply more power than the 4Ah, which would make sense as the voltage is the same.

I've not noticed any difference when using them with drills and saws, other than the runtime obvs.

With Makita the real leap is with 6Ah, they're insanely expensive.

Lumen wrote: »
    I have noticed with my Makita lawnmower that the 5Ah batteries seem to be able to supply more power than the 4Ah, which would make sense as the voltage is the same.

I've not noticed any difference when using them with drills and saws, other than the runtime obvs.

With Makita the real leap is with 6Ah, they're insanely expensive.

It's possible that the higher capacity batteries may also be rated for higher current and/or have less voltage sag under load. Would possibly only be noticable on higher power devices.

I got my drill and driver on Saturday, which was a pleasant surprise. One new gate later and I'm delighted with the purchase. Charged batteries once and the indicators are still showing 3 green lights. Had my original order not shipped I may have considered the mytoolshed offer despite their £18 shipping charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Not the biggest punch battery wise but ideal for the average DIYer. 2 batteries included though.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ryobi-r18pd3-215gz-18-v-one-cordless-combi-drill-starter-kit-2-x-15-ah-3472789

£74.95 from Amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Not the biggest punch battery wise but ideal for the average DIYer. 2 batteries included though.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ryobi-r18pd3-215gz-18-v-one-cordless-combi-drill-starter-kit-2-x-15-ah-3472789

£74.95 from Amazon.

My old aeg combi kicked the bucket last week, ordered this yesterday. 50nm torque will do all household drilling plus Ryobi have a wide range of cordless 18v tools I can put the batteries into

Advertisement