Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What constitutes a meal?

Options
  • 20-05-2020 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.thejournal.ie/pint-dublin-restaurants-june-august-pubs-bars-5103688-May2020/
    FOUR OUT OF 10 Dublin pubs are planning to re-open ‘as restaurants’ on 29 June, according to a new survey.
    No doubt, they'll have to serve food before drink. Anyone who went clubbing in the 90's may remember a few places had to give patrons a ticket for food if they were going dancing.

So the question is; what will the pubs restaurants have to serve to class themselves as "restaurants"? Diceys carvery of mash and beef, or will there be a minimum price of the food? And then can said minimum price include pints?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I think there are two different licences for pubs and restaurants. The government has said that pubs are closed. Some places have dedicated pub and restaurant bits, but I'd imagine any pub trying to bend the rules would be closed down pretty sharpish.

However, within the context of a place that does have a full menu, I'm sure they could serve you a pint with a starter or a bowl of chips

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Heard Charlie Chawke being interviewed the other day, he said if someone ordered a plate of chips he would serve them a pint.

Can see the fryer being busy for a lot of customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Had enough of this rubbish if people are in an establishment what does it matter if they have cabbage and bacon or vodka and cola?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

mgn wrote: »
    Heard Charlie Chawke being interviewed the other day, he said if someone ordered a plate of chips he would serve them a pint.

Can see the fryer being busy for a lot of customers.

There is a metal container out close to the road at his goat pub, went in over last week and it's selling pizza etc....

Few bench tables out too....

These people don't miss a trick and he has made his money and some....

Surprised he hadn't this set up before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In general terms 'meal' would mean at least a sandwich. Peanuts / crisps wouldn't count.
    Had enough of this rubbish if people are in an establishment what does it matter if they have cabbage and bacon or vodka and cola?

Cabbage and bacon doesn't usually make people talk like an eejit and spit while doing so or make them want to wear the face off each other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Victor wrote: »
    Cabbage and bacon doesn't usually make people talk like an eejit and spit while doing so or make them want to wear the face off each other.

But thats their own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

the_syco wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/pint-dublin-restaurants-june-august-pubs-bars-5103688-May2020/

No doubt, they'll have to serve food before drink. Anyone who went clubbing in the 90's may remember a few places had to give patrons a ticket for food if they were going dancing.

So the question is; what will the pubs restaurants have to serve to class themselves as "restaurants"? Diceys carvery of mash and beef, or will there be a minimum price of the food? And then can said minimum price include pints?

90's?

I was only a young fella myself but when I was doing door work in the mid to late 80's you couldn't have a late night bar unless there was a supper ticket included in the admission price.

Nobody went there for the boiled rice and chicken curry but potential messers would be given an extra ticket if they asked which they usually did or maybe sometimes by mistake.

If it all kicked off, they never bit the hand that fed.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

One big plus I'm all this is that you might have pubs serving food beyond 9pm.

You can barely get a sandwich in a pub in this country after 9, it would be good if they became places to eat late and not just drink.

Michael McDowell rejoice, your Cafe Bars have arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What is a Cafe bar ???

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

But thats their own business.

Well, their business and the business of their family and anyone else they might be around in a shop etc......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Restaurant Menu
    Yellow Snack
    Pink Snack

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

jhegarty wrote: »
    Restaurant Menu
    Yellow Snack
    Pink Snack

Tayto and a packet of nuts

Added for special occasions

• Registered Users Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

jhegarty wrote: »
    Restaurant Menu
    Yellow Snack
    Pink Snack

Salted peanuts
    Dry roasted peanuts

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

PTH2009 wrote: »
    What is a Cafe bar ???

Cafe Bars

PDs Michael McDowell's great idea from 2005 to drag us into modern European culture by people actually eating while drinking and not just drinking to get drunk.

The idea was that a premises smaller than the current allowed pub size could get a license e to server alcohol as long as it was also serving food.

Got shot down by the FF pub lobby.

So in a COVID world were pubs would be opening as restaurants or cafes it might actually happen, albeit in larger size premises rather than smaller sized ones as McDowell envisaged

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A lot of bigger pubs were already converted into gastro pubs so there is ample space for tables and chairs.

Drinking pubs will have to wait a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

PTH2009 wrote: »
    What is a Cafe bar ???

It's that thing that Michael McDowell tried to get made a thing and which conservative political Ireland (read pub owning FF) rejected

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's that thing that Michael McDowell tried to get made a thing and which conservative political Ireland (read FF) rejected

There's FG publicans also, they were both against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

True but FF saw the chance to give McDowell a going over with that proposal which they didn't hesitate to administer

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

I would assume it's down to a room having tables etc. which would force some levels of distancing. There's a big difference between the interactions of groups around tables ordering drinks/food with table service and a bar which has groups leaning over each other to get a round in.

Add into the mix that people may get less smashed if they're eating as this might mean they're a little more cautious/sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

the_syco wrote: »

The GPO in Galway! Best chicken curry ever at about midnight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It reminds me of a 12 pubs of Christmas a few years ago.
    Went to a hotel bar and they wouldn’t serve unless food was ordered and everybody had to order a bowl of soup with there pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Shur there's aytin and drinkin in Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Rodin wrote: »
    The GPO in Galway! Best chicken curry ever at about midnight
    the 90's?
    I remember going to barcode in the early-mid 2000's and it still had food at the end of the night

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The old SnackBox on Shop Street rocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

513715.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1962/act/21/section/9/enacted/en/html#sec9
    9.—(1) For the purposes of the Licensing Acts and the Registration of Clubs Acts a meal served in any premises after the commencement of this Act shall not be deemed to be a substantial meal unless—

(a) the meal is such as might be expected to be served as a main midday or main evening meal or as a main course at either such meal, and

(b) the meal is of a kind for which—

(i) having regard to the prices charged for meals in the premises at times other than prohibited hours, or

(ii) if meals are not normally served in the premises, having regard to all the circumstances,

it would be reasonable to charge a sum that is not less than—

(I) the sum (if any) that for the time being stands fixed under subsection (2) of this section, or

(II) if no sum stands fixed for the time being under the said subsection (2), five shillings.

(2) The Minister for Justice may from time to time, by order, fix such sum, being more than five shillings, as he considers reasonable for the purposes of subsection (1) of this section and may, by order, revoke or amend any order under this subsection.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2003/si/442/made/en/print
    3. The sum of €9.00 is fixed for the purposes of section 9 (1) of the Intoxicating Liquor Act 1962 .

below is for a "special restaurant licence", not sure if there is a difference.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1988/act/16/enacted/en/print#sec7
    the intoxicating liquor is—

(i) ordered by or on behalf of a person for whom a substantial meal has been ordered,

(ii) supplied in either the waiting area or the dining area of the restaurant,

(iii) consumed in the waiting area of the restaurant before the meal by the person for whom the meal has been ordered, or consumed by that person in the dining area of the restaurant either during the meal or at any time not later than thirty minutes after the meal has ended, and

(iv) paid for at the same time as the meal is paid for:

Provided always that suitable beverages other than intoxicating liquor (including drinking water) are also available for consumption.

So it might be the case that Charlie Chawke will have to charge 9euro for his plate of chips and if the chips are finished they only have 30mins to drink up, they cannot buy pints as they go, have to run up a tab like a restaurant or pay in advance. This may not be the case of course, I might be missing something, but a possibility reading those laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

A simple guide to he definition of a restauarant would be that patrons must spend more on food than alcohol.

Chawke's pubs at the Goat and Dropping Well always had huge food business, I expect he can stay reasonably close to the spirit of the law, whatever about other pubs propoposing to open.

biko wrote: »
    A lot of bigger pubs were already converted into gastro pubs so there is ample space for tables and chairs.

Drinking pubs will have to wait a while.

That’s when we’ll really see a pub. These faux restaurants shouldn’t be classed as them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A simple guide to he definition of a restauarant would be that patrons must spend more on food than alcohol.

Chawke's pubs at the Goat and Dropping Well always had huge food business, I expect he can stay reasonably close to the spirit of the law, whatever about other pubs propoposing to open.

Since, as a country, we spend more on alcohol than food, then the nation is a pub.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Since, as a country, we spend more on alcohol than food, then the nation is a pub.

And long way it continue before we all disappear up our own arseholes.

Advertisement