Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transport Aircraft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭sparky42

There’s nothing new in that all from what I can tell, with several of the projects already funded/part funded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

True im surprised the PC12s where not included

Well they already got used as an excuse as to why we can't have a transport in that RTE article.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Michael Smith, when minister, boasted weekly about the delivery of P51 as if a ship was being delivered each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,685 ✭✭✭✭banie01

For just a little too long...

The thought was at the front of my mind that we were buying P-51s 🤦‍♂️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I spoke to a certain junior minister of my acquaintance at the weekend, he said that many of his colleagues are of the view that a military grade transport aircraft is needed, but that the Commission on Defence recommendations are the only game in town. Whatever is in the report, will be backed - by FG and FF anyway.

Although supporting something and funding it, are very different animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Interesting, not surprising that they want to kick it to the Commission, but equally there’s always the bottom draw in the Department waiting for it…. There’s also the question of how long the Government has left to live at this point and the lead time any order will take? Just suppose the MRV crawls out of the hell it’s stuck in, and the Casa order is still working it’s way through production can the Department handle another (or in real fantasy mode many) new Capital acquisition programs?

At this stage, assuming the Commission says we should have some capability and that gets through the Daíl unless it’s second hand, it’s likely to be what post 2025 before anything comes of an order, and that’s assuming the retention issues in the AC are dealt with to use such a capability.

Yeah, in the same conversation it became clear that manpower is causing massive anxiety around Merrion Street now. He cited to me the UK example of the disentanglement of military remuneration from the rest of the public service and the recognition of the unique nature of military service and all its anti-social aspects.

It could be a prelude to restoration of the allowances lost in the crash, but again, it will have to come out of the Commission.

Incidentally, some of the Commission bulletins are worth reading. The summary of submissions received out of the public consultation is certainly interesting and the Commission itself complimented the depth and quality of same.

About five years too late at least, but interesting that it’s finally getting through to people, though the report about the Navy still not getting their bonuses suggest perhaps it hasn’t in some departments yet. But yes the DF should never have been put in the same category as the rest of the PS.

The other interesting bit of political trickery is that waiting for the Commission means an entire extra budget cycle to continue limiting spending even if the Commission is anything close to what we could hope for. I wonder how long will the report sit in the desk drawers before it might see the light of day and be voted on?

• Advertisement

By all accounts CoDF are ready to publish. The answer was clear from the outset. They will report to the minister first, and then their report will go to the Dail, i.e public. That should happen before the Dail rises for Christmas.

After that there will be no excuses. The opposition (toothless as they are) have been closely watching. Kicking the can any further down the road would be hazardous to the integrity of Oglaigh Na hEireann. The organisation is literally about to collapse, but holding its breath until CoDF delivers.

The failure of a Government to act on CoDF, from what I am hearing will see the best and brightest abandon the DF as a career, making it unable to continue functioning. You will have no problem getting recruits but there will be nobody to train them. Failing to act on the Post-94 Contracts will see to that.

Its certainly time-barred to this calendar year, but there are a number of meetings, visits, plenary sessions still timetabled. I don't see a report going to the Minister before the new year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭roadmaster

So where the crew bascially told to head towards the middle east without any prep or plan?

Try doing that with a leased civvy airliner and its civvy crew! (as some on the left would prefer)

Well done to our men & women in uniform for keeping a cool head and keeping in contact.

Did they actually end up doing anything, at all?

Well it'll certainly add to Defence Commission's case to include a TAL.

The Learjet? No I don't think they were used for any part of the evacuation.

Whats one of the CASAs doing in Lithuania?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ6fLLsGVC8

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Been used in a drill according to the description

Yeah it just doesn't make sense to me, Iron Wolf is a NATO readiness exercise I thought, so why is one of the CASA's involved? Not complaining just a bit confused.

• Advertisement

I think its also for partner nations which we are i think. It could be also there as part of the EUBG

Strategically it makes sense for us to participate, in either a partner or EU capacity. After all, Russian military assets do probe our sovereign territory as much as anyone's in Western Europe and we should be developing our capabilities and experience in that regard, as well as working in solidarity with the smaller EU nations of the Baltic region, who live under a constant cloud of Russian passive aggression.

I see last night there was a article about two transport casas offered to the state. Are these the jordian ones parked up in spain? Interesting the company offered us several purchase plans

https://www.thejournal.ie/seraph-aviation-group-offer-aircraft-refused-by-defence-simon-coveney-denial-5604022-Nov2021/

Of course they did, they wanted rid.

We knew all this already. Coveney's attitude to this was correct, we had no need for small civilianised 295s, when a leased airliner would be no worse to send into a conflict zone.

If and when we get tactical airlifters, they need to be of military spec and hardened against small arms fire etc.

Even if we had those surplus 295s, the Air Corps brass would not have approved them to go to Kabul in the situation that pertained. That says all you need to know.

All Irish citizens have been advised to leave Ethiopia immediately and all but two Irish diplomatic staff are being expelled, due to Ireland's diplomatic stance on the Tigrayan separatists question.

Could turn into another Kabul situation? Still no TAL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

No, beg another nation most likely France to assist

And then announce yet again that theres no need for any transport assets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Any Irish being evacuated would simply need to go as far as Kenya, not all the way to Ireland, in the same way that evacuees from Afghanistan were taken to Oman. They could even go to Eritrea,whose people are bitter enemies of the Tigreans. Somalia,for obvious reasons,is a no-go,so South it is. We have friendly relations with Kenya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

It’s quite embarrassing to be so over reliant on other nation to assist us in all forms of defence

Advertisement