Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outside Tap - Help Needed

Options
  • 21-05-2020 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi, total novice here, have an issue with an outside tap that I would like advice on. When I connect any hose to the tap it's not staying on and the "nipple" is loose. Do I need to replace the whole tap or is there something simple I'm not doing? I've attached photos.

I've tried to remove with a vice grips but it seems the tap is complete so I don't want to break it or have a leak etc...

Again no clue about this, I'm sure its something simple.

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

If I’m understanding you correctly the bit I’ve circled is loose/damaged.

That bit is likely seized on and covered in paint but it screws off. Fire a bit of WD40 into it and it’ll come off eventually. You might need a pliers or vice grips. See the second pic as it’s a clearer view of the threads. That’s the threaded bit you attach hose connectors to, for example.

Basically take it off and see why the spout is wobbling/loose. I would assume you can either get a replacement head/spout or worst case an entire tap assembly which will allow you to just replace the bit you took off. Should be a 2 min job once you break the seal on the attachment.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Username you choose

Ah cheers, that makes sense, I agree it looks like it's just seized over time, I tried vice grips yesterday, I'll have amkyhr go today and update with the result

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭ncounties

Ah cheers, that makes sense, I agree it looks like it's just seized over time, I tried vice grips yesterday, I'll have amkyhr go today and update with the result

Thanks

It could also just be that the paint is affecting it. You could try cleaning it with some white spirit and see if the connection holds? If it doesn't work, just try to remove it and replace as you suggest. Plenty of them on Ebay for pretty cheap.

Advertisement