Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to upgrade ageing GTX 970/i5 4590 build

Options
  • 21-05-2020 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hey, I'm looking to upgrade/revamp the PC I made in 2015 and which is only really showing its age now. That PC is a GTX 970/i54590 with 8gb RAM (I know, 16gb is long overdue). Dipped my toe into learning about PC building back then for the sole purpose of building the rig, but since then I've basically forgotten everything and lived in blissful ignorance, enjoying the fruits of my labour. As a result, I haven't really kept up with developments and don't know what I should get to ensure a midhigh range experience for a few years. To use an incredibly dated analogy and show how behind I am in PC gaming, I think I'd like to get what would have been the equivalent experience you'd get from a GTX 980 in 2015.

1. What is your budget?
    Hard to know for sure, I suppose I'd be happy spending anything up to €1k, though I could commit to more if I bought parts intermittently over a longer period (and putting up with the bottlenecking until I have everything).

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? (If gaming include which games)

Gaming; pretty much everything. I play enough AAA games that I'd want to be able to play bleeding edge stuff at >60fps.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows?

No.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)
    Would presumably have to replace a 550w PSU? As regards mobo, I have a ASRock H97 Pro4 - not sure if that would still be usable with modern parts.

5. Do you need a monitor?

No, I don't think so.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    I'm happy with 1080p, especially as that resolution facilitates me making the most of my 144hz monitor, which I've come to really appreciate. I am open to maybe bumping up to 1440p down the line, though.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals?
    No.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking?
    Yes.

8. How can you pay?
    Bank transfer/debit.

9. When are you purchasing?
    No real rush, could wait a few months if a new wave of GPUs/CPUs are due to be announced (assuming that would drive prices for older generations down?).

10. If you need help building it, where are you based?

Think I'll be sussed, I really enjoyed building my last one.

Many thanks in advance, lads, I appreciate it.

Comments

Advertisement