Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin beaches/ trains stations - no social distancing?

Options
  • 21-05-2020 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

Watching a report on RTE news there - beaches jam-packed, trains station platforms full of young People.

Jaysus, it's great isn't it. The pandemic is finally over!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Username you choose

Very hard to keep the 2 metre (or 1 metre) for much longer. Plenty of families visiting each other last few days, went for a walk yesterday and was a like a hot day in August the amount of people out. I understand its the first phase but to be honest I don't see people adhering to the rules as they did in mid March / April....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Be prepared for the second wave of Covid-19 infections showing up in two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Heebie wrote: »

Or delays/cancellations for the next phases of the reopening plan (even with what is described in this thread we can probably keep the numbers at a level our health system can cope with as long as not too many shops, offices, and indoor gathering areas don't reopen). But it would mean we are choosing to sacrifice the economy in order to allow for everyone's individual enjoyment.

Bob24 wrote: »
    ..........But it would mean we are choosing to sacrifice the economy in order to allow for everyone's individual enjoyment.

It'll be dressed up as the economy is being sacrificed to protect old folk who will likely die anyway but if there are any dealys it's due to selfish, brain dead fncks who can't adhere to guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Like they did in Austria and Denmark?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Irish Rail doing a good job at managing crowds, who would have thought stations near beaches, etc would be busy on a day like yesterday.

And Gardai, I've been stopped about 5 times when I was going to the supermarket, never once was I asked anything else. Sure I could have went through 5 checkpoints and told them all the same. Why wasn't my numberplate being checked and see where I live for example?

I wonder how many fines were handed out in the whole process - I wonder did it get to double digits.

The checkpoint thing was just a big bonanza for the boys in blue, with little or no effect in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Irish Rail doing a good job at managing crowds, who would have thought stations near beaches, etc would be busy on a day like yesterday.

And Gardai, I've been stopped about 5 times when I was going to the supermarket, never once was I asked anything else. Sure I could have went through 5 checkpoints and told them all the same. Why wasn't my numberplate being checked and see where I live for example?

I wonder how many fines were handed out in the whole process - I wonder did it get to double digits.

The checkpoint thing was just a big bonanza for the boys in blue, with little or no effect in my view.

It wasn't checked because there was no distance limit on shopping, there was no requirement for you to use your nearest shop. That was the loophole left in the restrictions, not the fault of the Gardai.

Interesting statistic- only 5% of people in Ireland have been exposed to Covid-19.

I think that statistic needs to be rammed up the arses of the idiots featured on the 9 news this evening packing out beaches and dart stations with hardly a hairs breadth between them.

It's amazing how some people have reverted to type so quickly and have gone back to their selfish ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Interesting statistic- only 5% of people in Ireland have been exposed to Covid-19.

I think that statistic needs to be rammed up the arses of the idiots featured on the 9 news this evening packing out beaches and dart stations with hardly a hairs breadth between them.

That's an estimate based on our crap testing regime, not a statistic...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Augeo wrote: »
    It'll be dressed up as the economy is being sacrificed to protect old folk who will likely die anyway but if there are any dealys it's due to selfish, brain dead fncks who can't adhere to guidelines.

That type likely never believed in any responsibility anyway. Its ALWAYS someone else at fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭mulbot

It's amazing how some people have reverted to type so quickly and have gone back to their selfish ways.

How can that statistic be accurate? If they are saying a low exposure is a bad thing, were the restrictions too much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Sadly many nice amenities on the beach close to the dart line have been hijacked in recent years by feral yobs . More of law and order breaking down in this country , poor parenting and useless judges the main reasons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Huh? They focused on those suspected to have it. What was crap about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Sadly many nice amenities on the beach close to the dart line have been hijacked in recent years by feral yobs . More of law and order breaking down in this country , poor parenting and useless judges the main reasons.

Honestly how do people expect anyone in the Railway to be able to do about this exactly? Many of the stations are open and unmanned, other's don't have the backup to control large groups like that either on a normal day. Hell the guards in the past have shepherded the ferals onto the damn trains to get rid of them from the locality in the past quicker. It would be more effective to shut down the DART on sunny days to be honest the manpower isnt available to enforce social distancing on the DART.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

It is, sadly, still what people are being their behavior on. The low number only serves as a reminder that we're not doing anywhere near as much resting as is necessary... and people are likely to suffer and die due to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I hope they have travel insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

A lot of the beach shots publicised are taken with a long lens where foreshortening makes people look a lot closer to each other than they actually are. It's commonly used to make places look more packed, to make cyclists look like they're riding five abreast etc... When in reality, people are in family groups and maintaining social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

John_Rambo wrote: »
    A lot of the beach shots publicised are taken with a long lens where foreshortening makes people look a lot closer to each other than they actually are. It's commonly used to make places look more packed, to make cyclists look like they're riding five abreast etc... When in reality, people are in family groups and maintaining social distancing.

Why were the Garda breaking up these ‘correctly socially-distanced’ groups so?

Also the shots of the train stations were taken from one side of the platform looking over to the other side (head on) and they were pretty packed.

Why were the Garda breaking up these ‘correctly socially-distanced’ groups so?

Also the shots of the train stations were taken from one side of the platform looking over to the other side (head on) and they were pretty packed.

It happened once. Here's an article with obvious telephoto lens shots.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0521/1139841-social-distancing/

Don't forget Dublin is a busy place, house parties, gathering etc.... are being reported by Dubliners and action is being taken. Plenty of gatherings all over the country not being reported. My in-laws in a rural settings neighbours had a huge BBQ with people visiting from all over the county. They wouldn't report them as the hosts would know exactly who reported them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Portmarnock 7k beach yesteeday -almost deserted.

• Advertisement

I've been exercising with my family on my local beach (less than 1k away) throughout the lockdown in Dublin and it's been deserted. Massive return of wildlife and the sand is like quicksand with the lack of rain and sand compression.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

sorry about the vodoo effect. What is annonying are the families who plonk themselves at the entrance to the beach and literally dig themselves into the (protected) dunes a foot away from the narrow path to the beach making it impossible to be less than 3 foot away from them. totally selfish behaviour. No wonder there is a huge spike in children getting infected - with supervision like that they have no hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

NDWC wrote: »

Austrians and Danish as a people are quite disciplined, our reaction is quite simply a joke. Social distancing signs ignored on trains and in stores, packs of teenagers roaming the streets together and I have witnessed almost terrorizing the older folf on the street.

That does not happen in Denmark or Austria!

krissovo wrote: »
    Austrians and Danish as a people are quite disciplined, our reaction is quite simply a joke. Social distancing signs ignored on trains and in stores, packs of teenagers roaming the streets together and I have witnessed almost terrorizing the older folf on the street.

Bloody hell, that's not good, not seeing it where I live, people are pretty respectful and the teens are in small groups since Monday but maintaining social distancing. Where do you live to witness this happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Walking the dog last night on the malahide road near the artane roundabout and a group of about 30 teenagers on bikes cycling all over the road but the bigger concern was seeing a number of bikes with two lads on the one bike.
    It does appear personal and parental responsibility is not existent in some families.

It was a statistic as reported on last nights RTÉ news exactly as I’ve posted it- so what’s your theory?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Some people are just overegging the beaches thing, it is possible to do normal things during all this

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Video clips online of Sutton correspond with the photos of brazen breaches of social distancing rules

Testing regime is quite decent.
    If you have any symptoms of cold, fle etc you self isolate, if you meet test criteria you get a test and self isolate until you either test negative or you recover. 300K people tested, that's a fair wedge of folk. Most of them didn't have the virus.

As of 30 March, 30,213 tests had been carried out.

As of 6 April, 42,484 tests had been carried out, with a positivity rate of 19% during the last 7 days.

As of 9 April, 53,000 tests had been carried out.

As of 13 April, 90,646 tests had been carried out.

As of 20 April, 111,584 tests had been carried out, with a positivity rate of 19% during the last 7 days.

As of 27 April, 153,054 tests had been carried out, with a positivity rate of 12.9% over the previous 7 days.

As of 2 May, 188,837 tests had been carried out.

As of 4 May, 214,761 tests had been carried out, with a positivity rate of 3.7% over the previous 7 days.

As of 11 May, 258,808 tests had been carried out, with a positivity rate of 3.3% over the previous 7 days.

As of 18 May, 295,626 tests had been carried out, with a positivity rate of 2.5% over the previous 7 days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

NDWC wrote: »
    krissovo wrote: »

The Danish were quite early in their lockdown, the Austrian's weren't far behind, so they're ahead of the curve compared to Ireland.

I agree with Krissovo, different culture where people will abide by the rules, a few Danish collegues are to still work from home until mid summer., and said similar measures are across numerous industries, so even though lockdown is being eased, people will still be self isolating to a certain extent.

You could argue Ireland is in a similar position to them, from what people are doing perspective.... I know plenty in Ireland who have had their hair/nails done, barbeques in the sun, few cans with the boys etc... we just haven't acknowledged it by lifting lockdown... but was mentioned previously, you give an inch, people will take a mile...

Also worth noting, bars/restaraunts and other places of bigger gatherings are only open the last 7 days in Denmark and Austria, so still plenty of time for a second wave to occur.

But kids going back to school and no apparent increase so far in Denmark is a good sign .

Advertisement