Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking at a 1440p gaming build, advice?

Options
  • 21-05-2020 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭

AMD Ryzen 7 3800x

ASUS TUF X570 Plus

16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4

8GB AMD Radeon RX580

Corsair 650W CV Series

2TB SSD

It ten years since I did a build so my knowledge is a bit out of date to say the least. I'll be getting a 1440p 144hz monitor as well. Is it worth going for 1440p over 1080p? My budget is around €1500 not including a monitor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,024 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

MadYaker wrote: »
    AMD Ryzen 7 3800x

ASUS TUF X570 Plus

16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4

8GB AMD Radeon RX580

Corsair 650W CV Series

2TB SSD

It ten years since I did a build so my knowledge is a bit out of date to say the least. I'll be getting a 1440p 144hz monitor as well. Is it worth going for 1440p over 1080p? My budget is around €1500 not including a monitor.

I'd say you're hugely unbalanced with a 3800X and an RX580. You'd be better getting a 3600/3700 and a B450/470 and spending the difference on a GPU. I'd guess ideally you'd look for a 2070Super or an 5700XT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I'm currently doing the same build but following TitanGerm's advice in having it balanced with a Ryzen 5 3600 which I got on sale with 22% off on Amazon and I'm currently looking for any deals for a graphics card in the Radeon 5700 and 5700xt range and an MSI B450 Tomohawk Max motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭djan

I'd go fora Ryzen 3600, get a 77 eur B450 motherboard, bronze power supply and pump the rest into a graphics card, which will be the most important component for 1440p. Ideally in the AMD 5700 or 2070 Super range. Do keep in mind, new graphics card will be coming out around September this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I play a lot of arma which is heavier on processor than gtx card so I’ll do a bit more research but thanks for the info.

I assume you meant arma there? If so for absolute best performance for that, Intel is the way, but for productivity and more importantly value, Ryzen all the way. If you so go Ryzen aim to get 16gb ram at 3600 timings less than CL18.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

3600 with a 5700xt or 2070 super would be an excellent choice for 1440p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Look through this channel lots of info about hardware and benchmarking.

https://youtu.be/tpMDCRNjFZs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

MadYaker wrote: »
    I play a lot of arma which is heavier on processor than gtx card so I’ll do a bit more research but thanks for the info.

Arma's not heavy on the cpu, it's just terribly optimized to make use of all cpu threads.

I wouldn't go out of my way to push single thread performance for the likes of Arma but that's me.

If it's the main game you play then intel is the way to go.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

beauf wrote: »
    Look through this channel lots of info about hardware and benchmarking.

https://youtu.be/tpMDCRNjFZs

Found that guy to be a clown myself, he tried to tell me to not over lock my 8600k and id never keep it below 90c , funny how I never go above 60c air cooled.
    The thing is designed to overclock lol.

Bit goofy sure. Not really an over clocking site. Avoid the chats they are horrible.

But he tests a lot of gear side by side and with different cards. Which is useful to see CPU Vs GPU side of things in terms of balance.

I was trying to get some old PCs going for some games and it's was useful to see which cards were going to be bottlenecked by the CPU.

• Advertisement

BloodBath wrote: »
    Arma's not heavy on the cpu, it's just terribly optimized to make use of all cpu threads.

I wouldn't go out of my way to push single thread performance for the likes of Arma but that's me.

If it's the main game you play then intel is the way to go.

I was surprised to see how many simulation games struggle because they are so poorly coded.

Im gonna go for a 3600 and a 5700 XT cheers lads

Any recomendations for cases actually? Don't mind spending around €150 or so.

I've a Pure Base 500DX and have nothing but good things to say about it. Try and go for one with decent airflow.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I'd say you're hugely unbalanced with a 3800X and an RX580. You'd be better getting a 3600/3700 and a B450/470 and spending the difference on a GPU. I'd guess ideally you'd look for a 2070Super or an 5700XT.

I think it's bad advice to go for a 4xx series mobo over a 5xx series mobo. If you want to upgrade your processor in future, your very much limiting yourself going for a 470. The 3600 is so good and so cheap right now that you can save money on that processor and go for an 570 mobo with an eye to upgrade down the line.

I think it's bad advice to go for a 4xx series mobo over a 5xx series mobo. If you want to upgrade your processor in future, your very much limiting yourself going for a 470. The 3600 is so good and so cheap right now that you can save money on that processor and go for an 570 mobo with an eye to upgrade down the line.

You're not really limiting yourself though are you. AMD already said b450 will support the next gen of Ryzen. The likes of a B450 Tomahawk can easily support up to 16 core 4000 series.

The main limitation would be PCIe channels for more NVME ssd's. Some of the B550's can take 3 of them. No more than 1 on B450. The ones that support 2 are sata controlled and speeds on the second.

Yeah I’ll probably opt for a slightly better motherboard as I think I may upgrade the processor in time. Budget isn’t that important as I’m not buying the parts all at once.

You're not really limiting yourself though are you. AMD already said b450 will support the next gen of Ryzen. The likes of a B450 Tomahawk can easily support up to 16 core 4000 series.

The main limitation would be PCIe channels for more NVME ssd's. Some of the B550's can take 3 of them. No more than 1 on B450. The ones that support 2 are sata controlled and speeds on the second.

Wasn't aware of this

Wasn't aware of this

Yeah they changed their tune after people kicked up a fuss about it and they had previously stated it would be supported.

Not so bad for those of us who went b450 although I would like that triple nmve option on some of those nice b550 boards.

Yeah they changed their tune after people kicked up a fuss about it and they had previously stated it would be supported.

Not so bad for those of us who went b450 although I would like that triple nmve option on some of those nice b550 boards.

Out of interest, what do people use NVMEs for? Must say from trying them out I couldn't tell a difference between it and a SATA SSD. Albeit that was for general use and gaming.

Definitely would go for a 75eur range B450 board and spend more on GPU/CPU

Using mine for main OS drive and some software installs atm. It's heading towards using them for everything.

We'll start seeing some games requiring them soon enough I'd say now that both next gen consoles have them.

• Advertisement

Using mine for main OS drive and some software installs atm. It's heading towards using them for everything.

We'll start seeing some games requiring them soon enough I'd say now that both next gen consoles have them.

Interesting. Why would a game require them?

Interesting. Why would a game require them?

It will probably be first party games to be honest. The recent unreal engine 5 demo showed what was possible with a fast SSD and whatever system they are using to help speed up compressed texture data to the graphics memory. I'm guessing the SSD controller has it's own unit that does the decompression.

There was also another Sony demo that showed a spiderman game where they could move through the city at crazy speeds. The data is being streamed to gpu memory from the SSD so there is no frame rate hitching or blurry streaming textures.

This will allow things aren't possible without an SSD like super hero games where you can fly or move at crazy speeds. Some of the old racing games couldn't even simulate a proper 100-200 miles per hour. They had to use tricks to make it look like you were moving faster.

I think even some of the newer GTA's do this.

Sorry for hijacking thread btw.

UE5 Demo

Spiderman Demo.

Advertisement