Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll - Nicest town/area to live from this list- Co.Sligo

Options
  • 21-05-2020 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Just conducting a poll to see what people think regarding the best, most liveable town/area in Sligo. No negative public comments though please against any towns. A comment on why you made your positive choice would be great :)

I left out a few towns, I am aware. Please comment with your suggestion if it's not listed.

To be clear (to avoid more criticisms and negativity), I am curious what you think is the nicest area in the list,.

Where to move in Sligo? Most livable town 42 votes

Carney
    76% 32 votes
    Grange
    0% 0 votes
    Cliffony & Mullaghmore
    4% 2 votes
    Collooney
    7% 3 votes
    Coolaney
    2% 1 vote
    Sligo Town - North
    0% 0 votes
    Sligo Town - South
    0% 0 votes
    Drumcliff
    7% 3 votes
    Ballysadare
    0% 0 votes
    Calry/Hazelwood
    2% 1 vote
    Rathcormac
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Excluding Tubbercurry & Ballymote as well, both in County Sligo.

Maybe update the poll with exactly what you want from the area as most listed are not towns.
    Each place can mean very different things to people.

"Mixed reviews of Sligo Town"...it's a big enough area for a generalization like that so same could be said for any Irish town, it's all about your neighbours.

But if I had to pick from that list it would be Mullaghmore (scenary) or Calry (close to town without being in town).

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

More than half the county missing off that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Board.surf

Absolutely feel free to suggest more towns. I'm only asking people here what they like (in the poll) and then why (if they want to leave a comment)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Nothing wrong with Sligo Town for the majority of places.
    The problem areas are obvious and you'd know by driving around as with any town in the country.

If you aren't willing to do some research on the large number of areas you've left out would you really take a few sentences from a stranger on a forum as a guide on whether to live there?
    You've left out some of the nicest places to live in the county, South/East/West.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

Ennischrone. Beautiful beach and nice town.

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with Sligo Town for the majority of places.
    The problem areas are obvious and you'd know by driving around as with any town in the country.

If you aren't willing to do some research on the large number of areas you've left out would you really take a few sentences from a stranger on a forum as a guide on whether to live there?
    You've left out some of the nicest places to live in the county, South/East/West.

I made no judgement on anything. I've done plenty of research. My reasons for doing this and the context it brings aren't really the point if this forum.

If you're not willing to follow the very clear guidelines you're welcome to leave. If you want to mention a few towns and whats good about them, you're welcome to do so. Thanks.

Ennischrone. Beautiful beach and nice town.

Thanks for that. I had left enniscrone off, only because of the commute (in my case).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

never seen town referred to as north\ south.

I asked for PM's to discuss Sligo town if you're open to that. It's hardly a generalization. I want to know the positives.
    I had previously asked specifics of what I needed in a town and nobody responded so I've made decisons bases on my own research.
    Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

How long is a piece of string. What do you want? Lived in town for many year while it suited. Now out in the sticks. Never had a problem with "North" or "South" and I lived in both. Life changed and wouldn't swop current location which isn't mentioned for town.

• Advertisement

Lads, I'm not local and I'm not an expert. That's why I am asking. I had asked earlier for more specific info but very few engaged. Really not liking the general abrasive attitudes to be honest

Yeah I'm fairly slow to accept criticisms of larger towns. I've lived in a fair few big irish towns and there are always people to put it down. Feedback is always mixed. I was surprised by researching, how many nice towns/areas there are about the county tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Board.surf wrote: »
    I made no judgement on anything. I've done plenty of research. My reasons for doing this and the context it brings aren't really the point if this forum.

If you're not willing to follow the very clear guidelines you're welcome to leave. If you want to mention a few towns and whats good about them, you're welcome to do so. Thanks.

Sligo Town:
    Pro-
    Closeness to schools
    Safety for kids, cycle lanes etc.
    Closeness to wood's, beaches, lakes for short car trips
    Public parks and sports facilities, a number of them and well kept.

Cons-
    Drug dealing rife in council estates
    Vacancy rate in the middle of town has ruined the central area due to rates and market forces.
    Dispersed council estates in recent years along with council buying up in areas like crozon/greenfort/Heather view have spread out the social problems but not diluted them.
    Poor road network around the town and planning laws that have left a sprawl of businesses far apart rather than central or well linked by bypasses or ring roads.

Most local people now choose villages within 10 miles of the town due to reasons above and more if they can cope with commute and school pickups etc.
    In the rural areas you get most of the pro's without the cons.
    You have Dromore West/Ballygawley /Sooey/Ballintogher/Glencar/Carney/Cregg to choose from too.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

Lads, I'm not local and I'm not an expert. That's why I am asking. I had asked earlier for more specific info but very few engaged. Really not liking the general abrasive attitudes to be honest

That why I asked what you want. Town schools vs quiet country school. Shops vs quiet life. Views vs crowds.
    Even a village has good areas vs not so good. Also limiting yourself to Sligo.... What about Dromahair or Manorhamilton for example

shanec1928 wrote: »
    never seen town referred to as north\ south.

I've seen the town refereed as east v west with the inner relief road as the divider. Usually Sligo as a county is refereed to as North Sligo & South Sligo.

OP - There are so many personal factors that would need to be taken into account, its very hard for people to just pick an area & say why they like it with reference to your poll.

Renting, options are very limited & restricted to what's available.
    If buying, budget will eliminate some area straight away no matter how much they are recommended. We are trying to help you but a little bit more info might go a long way in guiding you better.

@drdidlittle
    I wasn't asking in that context. I asked what I asked. You're not obligated to participate. I want to know what other people think of the listed areas.

Again, my specific requirements were outlined elsewhere. I'm not asking for people to pick a specific house for me here

@bronsontb
    Ugh. Look, if you find it difficult to say what area you like best out of the list, that's fine. It has nothing to do with me or my needs.

I've lived in many places. Never have I come across a person who doesn't understand this question before.

What town do you like most? If it's not on the list,type it if you want. If you don't, don't.

I'm not really here to talk about/be criticised regarding my lack of knowledge of Sligo. I am not here to specify my own needs.

*** feedback deleted by self

19 people voted. It was clear from the beginning bar a few. I don't really care how you would have asked it. I never asked for your advise, thanks. Self proclaimed, opinionated views weren't the point of the thread. So, again, please follow the guidelines.

The poll was more of a way to understand people's opinions and views of the area. Instead I got a different, unwelcoming view of a select few. I hope this is helpful for others who find themselves in a similar spot.

19 people voted. It was clear from the beginning bar a few. I don't really care how you would have asked it. I never asked for your advise, thanks. Self proclaimed, opinionated views weren't the point of the thread. So, again, please follow the guidelines.

The poll was more of a way to understand people's opinions and views of the area. Instead I got a different, unwelcoming view of a select few. I hope this is helpful for others who find themselves in a similar spot.

My apologies OP, I was only trying to be helpful!
    (Unfollowing thread)

Don't attack me - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055463174

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 karlalb10n

Are you a school teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Pistachio19

How much have you to spend? Few nice houses around Drumcliffe, Grange, Cliffoney areas. Mullaghmore is lovely during the summer but very quiet in winter months and as far as I know the shop closes (open to correction). Cliffoney has a supermarket, lovely pub/restaurant and another pub. School is right in the middle of the village. There are 2 smaller schools either side of the village. Grange is a bit bigger. It has a petrol station, Super Valu, post office, 2 take always (chipper/pizzas), lovely cafe (hopefully can reopen, if even for takeaway) chemist etc. It has a lovely primary and secondary school, sports complex and gaa pitch, so lots of activities for kids and adults. If you're into outdoor activities North Sligo is a great area for surfing, mountain walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,017 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Really not liking the general abrasive attitudes to be honest
    My sentiments too.

I have reviewed the thread and its gone a wee bit pear shape with no want of sniping. @ Board.surf just relax a little. Take the good with the bad and anything you dont like ... well, just ignore it rather than getting a wee bit hot under the collar. Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Your not getting much help so far OP.

I voted for Carney, good pub scene, it has a large in flux of blow ins and the locals are friendly for North Sligo.

Grange is dominated by a large industrial/ commercial area to it's South and has lost two pubs and it's not the friendliest.

Cliffoney has good pubs but no more than Grange has lots of traffic and is further out. Mullaghmore it's further again and is shuttered up in winter.

Coolaney is cheap and has a rep fire being friendly but that must be set against the time and cost of driving in, Collooney with be a better bet but it's a place I find it hard to say anything good or bad about, so I will settle for non descript. Ballisodare is livelier and closer to Sligo but not necessarily quicker to get to, it's also more expensive than Collooney.

I can't really respond on Sligo North/South as those are too broad a description. Contrary to what roversrunner says drug dealing is not rife in council estates, there is dealing in some areas but a lot takes place in private rented accommodation in flats and apartments where there are no nosy neighbours as I learned to my cost. It also takes place in many outlying towns too. If you are thinking about town I recommend Abbeyquarter South, it has become very popular with newcomers and you can see them dragging their canoes down to the river these summer evenings. It's close to schools and shops and you can drink in The Blue Lagoon and the hotel nearby.

Rathcormac has lost its pub and it's dominated by the road, there isn't really a drumcliff.

Calry is a large rural parish and I would need to go into it in more depth than I have time for. Hazelwood is in effect a suburb of Sligo.

The town you miss is Dromahair, a lot of the Carney/Maugherarow creative types moved out there during the boom and it's defo one for the shortlist.

Thanks @redarmyblues, that was very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The only " con" regarding Dromohair would be the road in and out. Very windy and can be busy at times. Parts can be prone to flooding at times in darkest winter.

Edit: Windy as in bendy as opposed to breezy

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

sligojoek wrote: »
    The only " con" regarding Dromohair would be the road in and out. Very windy and can be busy at times. Parts can be prone to flooding at times in darkest winter.

Edit: Windy as in bendy as opposed to breezy

Aye the road it's twisty but you get used to that, I know of people living on the western side of the N15 who can spend 10 or 15 minutes in the morning trying to get out of there drive ways, side roads in the morning.

I've lived in houses (and currently) where you literally have to wind (as in roll) down the wind and listen for traffic to get out of the driveway. It's not for everyone, especially now that we are entering the age of the electric car. There is always a thought there that a leaf might be coming and I can't hear it.

Advertisement