Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I use a windows laptop as an accessible server for Macs?

Options
  • 21-05-2020 3:02pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Weird one. Hope this makes sense. I have a windows 10 laptop lying idle. Good spec but of new use to me

Rather than flog it, could I set it up as a server that my Mac computers can access in the house? For storing files more than anything

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Yes you can, however few caveats

Windows uses ntfs file system and therefore in normal usage mac's can only read this and not write to it
    Writing to it can be enabled by using some terminal commands or samba sharing however if its to just say access movies then its fine as is.

An easier way is usb or hard disc plugged into your router (if it allows) to have shares there and then you dont need to run a laptop on at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Just create folders on the Windows machine for each type of Media - Music - Movies etc. and share them as you normally would.

On the Mac Finder menu click on the menu Go > Connect to Server and enter the IP address of the Laptop (better to set it as a fixed IP) enter the username and password for the Laptop and once connected click the various shares to open them.

Once opened, drag them to the space on the dock beside the Trashcan. Now you can access them easily each time you need them.

Another option would be to install something like FreeNas which allows various media serving plugins like Plex for streaming audio and video to any connected device including smartphones.

Filesystem type - NTFS, FAT etc are irrelevant over a network.

Ken

Advertisement