Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plants to screen a wall

Options
  • 21-05-2020 3:23pm
    Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I am going to be putting a raised bed along the side of my lawn, beneath a block wall. The wall I'm going to clad in timber. I want to put some plants along the bed that'll grow vertically to provide like a screen against the wall.

I'd be looking for things that are quite narrow, since I only want the bed to be about 20cm deep. Also would prefer plants that don't get really bushy. Height wise I wouldn't want anything that can't be easily kept at a height of about 4 or 5 feet max.

See a lot of bamboo but hear it's a nightmare.

Anyone any recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd think about a collection of pyracantha which comes in a few different varieties each with a different colour berry, they are evergreen and can be trained up a wall

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

awec wrote: »
    Hi,

I am going to be putting a raised bed along the side of my lawn, beneath a block wall. The wall I'm going to clad in timber. I want to put some plants along the bed that'll grow vertically to provide like a screen against the wall.

I'd be looking for things that are quite narrow, since I only want the bed to be about 20cm deep. Also would prefer plants that don't get really bushy. Height wise I wouldn't want anything that can't be easily kept at a height of about 4 or 5 feet max.

See a lot of bamboo but hear it's a nightmare.

Anyone any recommendations?

What is the orientation? Some plants don't like deep shade, but some sunshine during the day will work.

I have a similar set up and have a variety of delphiniums at the back of the border. They are gorgeous flowers especially the deep blue ones. Foxgloves are another I have and hollyhocks too. All easy to grow and look great in bloom.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The wall is east facing and gets the sun from early morning until 2 or 3pm.

I forgot to mention that there are kids in the garden, and they'll be playing with balls and stuff, so pyracantha is a no go, the berries would wreck my head.

Delphiniums, foxglove and hollyhock look interesting. When do they flower and how often?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Aldi have Virginia Creepers at the momenfor €2.99 at the moment, it will self climb too so won't necessarily need support and the leaves change colour with the seasons.
    Only drawback is it is fast growing and will need some control to keep it where you want it.

All the plants I mentioned flower from early Summer (Delphiniums can get another show later too), to late Summer. East facing will work fine.

Have to say the hollyhocks are my favourites. Some of them might need a cane for support. Great colours, so many varieties. Foxgloves can be poisonous if the kids or dogs eat them but would they? Just a heads up.

• Advertisement

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Aldi have Virginia Creepers at the momenfor €2.99 at the moment, it will self climb too so won't necessarily need support and the leaves change colour with the seasons.
    Only drawback is it is fast growing and will need some control to keep it where you want it.

To be fair the Virginia Creeper will grow anywhere, and the Autumn colours are amazing. BUT it can take over very very quickly. I've spent the pandemic time cutting the yoke back bit by bit and got to the final stage yesterday. Drowned the stump in Glyphosate, which I don't use very often but it has its place.

That will be the third time I've ha ha gotten rid of it. It is like Lazarus.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I'd prefer the leaves of Boston Ivy over Virginia creeper. By the way, 20cm seems a bit shallow and very prone to drying out. Is there soil under that 20cm?

To be fair the Virginia Creeper will grow anywhere, and the Autumn colours are amazing. BUT it can take over very very quickly. I've spent the pandemic time cutting the yoke back bit by bit and got to the final stage yesterday. Drowned the stump in Glyphosate, which I don't use very often but it has its place.

That will be the third time I've ha ha gotten rid of it. It is like Lazarus.:p

I've mine planted in a large pot sunk in the ground knowing it could become a problem, but so far so good, its covering a chain link fence for me nicely and providing extra privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think he means 20cm from back to front - though it is very narrow and would need to be over earth so that roots would have somewhere to go. It will also not catch much rain so will need a lot of attention in the early stages at least. Is there any way you could make it wider? 40cm is still narrow but it would be better than 20.

I would think you would need shrubs/climbers rather than herbaceous plants, they would not have such deep roots and would dry out very quickly.

I could push to 30/40, just want to minimise the amount of lawn I lose. I’ll be building over the top of an existing lawn.

I don’t mind giving them attention to get them going. Daily watering or whatever is fine by me.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    I could push to 30/40, just want to minimise the amount of lawn I lose. I’ll be building over the top of an existing lawn.

I don’t mind giving them attention to get them going. Daily watering or whatever is fine by me.

Daily watering is not necessary especially for plants in the ground, it only encourages shallow roots. One good water upon planting and once a week after that is more than adequate unless we get a freak summer like 2018.

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Daily watering is not necessary especially for plants in the ground, it only encourages shallow roots. One good water upon planting and once a week after that is more than adequate unless we get a freak summer like 2018.

This is one of my soapbox subjects! Going round with a watering can with a spray end making the soil look wet is absolutely no use and does more harm than good. If you are watering you should be giving each plant (depending on size) a really good drink on the soil round the stem, no sprinkler/rose, just a slow, steady pour so that it gets well soaked and the water doesn't just run off the surface. And mulch is a great benefit too.

Can't you tell I had a 'two watering cans will do all the veg' gardener in the family! :D

Things in pots or hanging baskets do need more frequent watering though as they dry out very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Aboppy1

Sounds like it would suit wysteria or clematis. Honeysuckle is another good option. It's a little more vigorous but is easy to cut and can be cut back hard every couple of years

I think I want to still be able to see the timber through the plant, just trying to soften and brighten things a bit, so wysteria and clematis seem a bit too thick for what I'm after.

Maybe some tall grasses with a bit of small planting or even gravel at the base?

Advertisement