Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Painting wooden window frames

• 21-05-2020 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi all

Our wooden window frames are in a bad way and I need to paint them. Sorry if this is a very obvious answer, but what sort of paint should I use? It looks like just woodstain that's on them - can that be the case? Would this protect them? Or would it be woodstain with an additional coating of something? Or do I need a different type of paint altogether?

I'll also need to strip them down as much as possible - any advice for this [ other than sandpaper and lots of elbow grease ;) ]

Thanks in advance,
    D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If the windows are in a bad way (other than simply visually due to lack of stain/paint etc) then painting them isn't going to make a whole lot of difference. Are they single or double glazed? Do they close efficiently and without draughts? Are all the handles and catches in good condition? How is the glass fitted?

Whether they are teak or similar 'hardwood' or softwood with stain is reasonably important. Paint on teak is not always successful, and paint on stain depends a bit on what it actually is - stain, varnish, what? They will likely need a good bit of preparation. Painting windows is very tedious. Some pics would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭davidm25

they're fine functionally - closing fine, no drafts, handles and catches are okay. It's just the paint is peeled off them in places and they need a fresh paint (badly).

My (limited) sense is that it's stain on them at the moment - but can that be right, would stain protect them properly? Does stain even peel?

Tnx
    D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I would use a sadolin breathable and forget the paint

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If they are softwood, I can highly recommend Sikkens Cetol HLS as a base coat followed by 2 coats of Cetol Filter 7 in the colour of your choice.
    These are microporous and allow water vapour through to stop bubbling and peeling.
    As always the key is the preparation but if you prep well the coating is very durable.
    https://youtu.be/V-BjIBHM0-4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Stain would only peel if it was applied too thick. Chances are its varnish you are looking at ( photos would be helpful). Stain "stains" the wood, its not a paint. You will need to give the frames a thorough sanding , but at this stage, you won't get a uniform coat on if you stain or varnish them again. If you paint them, use an oil based primer/undercoat. mix in a little Owatrol oil. Then, apply your topcoats ( more Owatrol oil if oil based) or if you want Water based, Unica Akva paint from Tikkurila, has serious adhesion properties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭davidm25

Thanks to all for responses so far. Some people have asked for a pic (which I should have done to begin with), here is one:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LEv6OIAzQad5ryLNeFY4_2xFVuiXRYtU

Hope that helps and thanks again
    D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thats pretty much what mine looked like before I painted mine with the Sikkens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

CJhaughey wrote: »
    If they are softwood, I can highly recommend Sikkens Cetol HLS as a base coat followed by 2 coats of Cetol Filter 7 in the colour of your choice.
    These are microporous and allow water vapour through to stop bubbling and peeling.
    As always the key is the preparation but if you prep well the coating is very durable.
    https://youtu.be/V-BjIBHM0-4

this stuff is the dogs danglies, I have been using these 2 products on a log cabin for the last 14yrs and its brilliant

Every year I put one coat of the Filter 7 on one side and basically do the full cabin every 4yrs, one side per year
    2 sides are exposed a lot to the sun and it really holds up well

When I first started 12yrs ago I gave it a base coat of the HLS first

They have a good few colours aswell to choose from, not easy to get you hands on, I think I bought it originally in Stillorgan but then found some years later in Newbridge

Advertisement