Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NZ PM Jacinda pushes for 4 day week

Options
  • 21-05-2020 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭

This woman can't do anything wrong these days in my eyes. The benefits of a 4 day week and reduced hours for those not in the usual working time frame makes a lot of sense to me. Productivity in many companies could probably mostly remain the same.
    I think we could just mould a society where maybe things don't need to be open as much and we don't need to be buying things all the time, therefore less work. I know it couldn't apply to every sector but maybe they could be helped in other ways to ensure more free time.
    I mean surely the point in life can't just be making money and buying and selling things?
    More time with family, more time to be outdoors, more time to look after yourself...
    Is it not something to strive towards? Do you think we'll see it in Ireland one day? I hope so.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/21/snap-back-jacinda-ardern-snaps-forward-with-a-four-day-week-no-wonder-shes-popular

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Two years ago the prime minister, Jacinda Ardern, was elected on a promise that she would “fix” the housing crisis, but under her watch the wait has ballooned from 6,000 to 14,500 households.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/16/new-zealands-waiting-list-for-state-housing-hits-record-high

She will be voted out in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Two years ago the prime minister, Jacinda Ardern, was elected on a promise that she would “fix” the housing crisis, but under her watch the wait has ballooned from 6,000 to 14,500 households.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/16/new-zealands-waiting-list-for-state-housing-hits-record-high

She gets fantastic press though...funnily enough I couldn't tell you the name of her predecessor!!!

The Journal run an article a week on her it seems...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

She gets fantastic press though...funnily enough I couldn't tell you the name of her predecessor!!!

All style over substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The Journal run an article a week on her it seems...
    she is woke AF in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

All style over substance.

I wouldn’t pretend to know much about NZ politics but she appears to have played a blinder with covid and in the aftermath of the shootings a couple of years back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

When you add in the amount of time that people spend commuting ( for some people a ridiculous amount of time ) People are working and commuting for far too long.

If People had a different day off you would be immediately reducing congestion by 20% ! !

It could be a great move for peoples quality of life ! !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

blinding wrote: »
    When you add in the amount of time that people spend commuting ( for some people a ridiculous amount of time ) People are working and commuting for far too long.

If People had a different day off you would be immediately reducing congestion by 20% ! !

It could be a great move for peoples quality of life ! !

A few years back I took a four day week instead of a pay cut and it was the best thing I ever did. I'd work late when I had to, but still got as much done in 4 days as I did in 5. Co-workers hated me for it, despite the fact they could have gone for the same deal as I got.

Odhinn wrote: »
    A few years back I took a four day week instead of a pay cut and it was the best thing I ever did. I'd work late when I had to, but still got as much done in 4 days as I did in 5. Co-workers hated me for it, despite the fact they could have gone for the same deal as I got.

I do 3/12 hour days a week. It’s brilliant having time off to collect kids early from crèche and go swimming etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I don't work Fridays.3 day weekend is brilliant, just takes a lot of pressure off, especially when you have a family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,349 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I be well up for it, but can’t see it ever happening here. The Big boys will make sure of that.

Still I do think full time workers should have at least more holidays. What is it here 20 days? Do what they do in parts of Europe and make it least 30 even 35 and you see big benefits. Studies even show it.

I be well up for it, but can’t see it ever happening here. The Big boys will make sure of that.

Still I do think full time workers should have at least more holidays. What is it here 20 days? Do what they do in parts of Europe and make it least 30 even 35 and you see big benefits. Studies even show it.

Before even getting to a four day week, two days in a row off should be guranteed by law.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Would you take a 20% pay cut and continue providing the the same effort of 5 days but compacted into 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Would you take a 20% pay cut and continue providing the the same effort of 5 days but compacted into 4.

Id surely think it's the option of 4 X 10 hour days rather than loosing out a days pay

• Registered Users Posts: 34,349 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Odhinn wrote: »
    Before even getting to a four day week, two days in a row off should be guranteed by law.

Ya I think that’s what lot of people say in retail would prefer alright, unless employee would be happy with different.

Again though most companies won’t really agree to that due to timetable issues and with other employees taking holidays, sick leave etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

Yes, her approval rating is an abysmal 65% while the opposition leader has an approval rating of a whopping 7%. Her party = 55% approval rating. Opposition party = 30% approval rating. All points to her being voted out in September....

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I work a 4 day week for 6 years now. It means I get 80% of the wage but ocassionslly I do extra shifts to compensate.

Highly reccomend it for all.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

She's a bit to the left but the Kiwis have one of the worst maternity leave policies in the developed world. Not too long ago you were on your own when a child arrived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I've worked for two big American companies and still working for one and am on a 4 day week. Can do overtime if I want. It's great tbh. Although they are 10 hour days

First was a split shift of Mon, Tues off Wed, Thurs, Fri and weekend off.

Now I'm on Mon-Thurs. Could never work a 5 day week

shesty wrote: »
    I don't work Fridays.3 day weekend is brilliant, just takes a lot of pressure off, especially when you have a family.

Yeah it’s great the nub for most people will be financial. I do think a lot of jobs could get the same out put from a lot of staff in 4 days over 5 but there are some jobs that would just need more staff like shops. Then production jobs would be similar and construction would be very difficult to make it work although I do think plenty in industry would rather 4/10 hour days over 5/8 but that’s not really the same as thing.

• Advertisement

Speaking for meself, I always had more energy for the four days than I used have for the five.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

She's a bit to the left but the Kiwis have one of the worst maternity leave policies in the developed world. Not too long ago you were on your own when a child arrived.

employees are not well treated in new zealand

lived and worked there back in the day , very hard headed people , they play a good PR game for the world however , beit in terms of the green - clean image etc

place is horribly polluted when it comes to agriculture and animal welfare is awful , irish farmers would never in a million years get away with what the kiwis do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

salmocab wrote: »
    I wouldn’t pretend to know much about NZ politics but she appears to have played a blinder with covid and in the aftermath of the shootings a couple of years back.

did she?:
    her kneejerk reactions smack of a complete power hungry freak. Mere possession of Brenton Tarrants manifesto can get you 10 years in jail.
    She has decided what the people may read or not.

doesn't sound too great to me

Although on topic the 4 day week does sound better, I'd defo get more done

• Registered Users Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

paw patrol wrote: »
    did she?:
    her kneejerk reactions smack of a complete power hungry freak. Mere possession of Brenton Tarrants manifesto can get you 10 years in jail.
    She has decided what the people may read or not.

doesn't sound too great to me

Although on topic the 4 day week does sound better, I'd defo get more done

They have one of the best outcomes from the virus so I think they nailed the lockdown almost perfectly. They have banned ISIS propaganda in the same way they banned that cnuts propaganda, so it seems pretty even handed to me too. Sounds great to me.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

NZ always strikes me as having very good publicity while in reality being an everyman for himself, stand on you own two feet, obey the law or else society a lot like parts of the US.

I am not saying all of the above is a bad thing as such.
    I might be influenced by the fact that any New Zealanders I have met were not very nice people and one had very anti-catholic views similar to what you would get in NI 50 years ago.

I knew someone who went there in the 1980s and they perceived parts of it to be poorer than Ireland at the time.

They have one of the best outcomes from the virus so I think they nailed the lockdown almost perfectly. They have banned ISIS propaganda in the same way they banned that cnuts propaganda, so it seems pretty even handed to me too. Sounds great to me.

In fact what she did worked great because I didn’t know the guys name until I seen it here which was her aim. Plus I’ve just realised as I type this that I’ve already forgotten it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

it does seem great and wondrous until you realise that not only are the telling you want you cannot read but they will imprison you if you are caught.
    That dictator stuff.

you may like that , i prefer my freedom tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

No chance. I'd take the 20% cut and provide the effort of 4 days over 4 days. Why would you work for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

While I think its a great idea, nowhere within that article does she "push for a 4 day week"

She just gave a standard non committal politicians answer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BattyInNZ

Yes, her approval rating is an abysmal 65% while the opposition leader has an approval rating of a whopping 7%. Her party = 55% approval rating. Opposition party = 30% approval rating. All points to her being voted out in September....

:) I remember her predecessor's name! :mad: They caused the housing crisis!

I also worked a 9-day fortnight. It was fantastic - we used to call our 3-day weekend our 'Lifestyle weekend' and there was never any work undone I only had to work an extra 30 minutes a day.

Advertisement