Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NZ PM Jacinda pushes for 4 day week

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,514 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

NZ has a 42.5 hour week currently, which is absurdly long compared to other developed nations. even bringing it down to 39 or 37.5 would be a huge win, never mind 4 days.
    Would you take a 20% pay cut and continue providing the the same effort of 5 days but compacted into 4.

totally
    Two years ago the prime minister, Jacinda Ardern, was elected on a promise that she would “fix” the housing crisis, but under her watch the wait has ballooned from 6,000 to 14,500 households.
    the housing "crisis" is self manufactured. House building over the previous decades has far outpaced population growth, its just average occupancy rates have dropped significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

A 20% pay cut is only about 10% in real terms after tax. That’s an extra day off for losing about 1/10th of your take home.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,514 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

salmocab wrote: »
    A 20% pay cut is only about 10% in real terms after tax. That’s an extra day off for losing about 1/10th of your take home.

highest rate in NZ is 33% so it would be 13.34%, plus loss of 3% kiwisaver employer contribution

plus potentially no payout, Perpetual Guardian did go to a 4 day week in early 19 without a pay deduction
    Perpetual Guardian trial in New Zealand

In New Zealand, trust company Perpetual Guardian announced in February 2018 that it would begin trialing a four-day work week in March 2018. The six-week trial, initiated by founder Andrew Barnes, saw the company's 240-plus staff nominating a day off each week whilst still receiving full pay. The trial, held in March and April 2018, attracted international media attention. In late March 2018, Barnes noted that the trial was going well with staff reporting more time for their families, hobbies, completing their to-do lists and doing home maintenance.

The trial, which was tracked and assessed by the University of Auckland Business School and Auckland University of Technology,was described as a success and 'a total win-win'. Perpetual Guardian then extended the four-day work week scheme permanently.The trial saw increased productivity, customer engagement levels, and staff engagement; reduced staff stress levels; and improved work–life balance.The company's revenue remained stable while costs went down, due to less power being used throughout the period.

The trial sparked publicity both in New Zealand and internationally. New Zealand workplace relations minister Iain Lees-Galloway said the trial was 'fascinating'.

The initiative was held up by Barnes as a way of helping to close the gender pay gap and increase diversity in the workforce. Barnes also held the scheme up as a potential blueprint for the workplace of the future, ensuring companies were attractive to millennials and easing Auckland's traffic congestion.

However, while four-day work weeks were deemed a success for most, not everyone involved within the Perpetual Guardian trial was able to adapt, with some reporting feeling increased pressure to complete work within a shorter time frame, particularly around deadlines. Other staff reported they were bored on their extra day away from work and missed the work environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

highest rate in NZ is 33% so it would be 13.34%, plus loss of 3% kiwisaver employer contribution

plus potentially no payout, Perpetual Guardian did go to a 4 day week in early 19 without a pay deduction

I was talking about here as someone had asked would you take the 20% cut for the extra day. I wouldn’t have a clue about other countries systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There is a big difference between working the same hours over 4 days verse reducing the hours worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I've worked for company that introduced something similar to Ardern's proposal via a programme called "alternative working schedule".
    It split a production line into 3 shifts, a,b and c.
    A and b worked rotating 10hr shifts 4 days per week Mon-Thu.
    C worked 3 12hr shifts Fri-Sun.

There was some initial issues with production drop in the 1st few months however within 4 months production throughput had increased 20% over previous level on a per hour basis, absenteeism had dropped by 70% and the people working the pattern found that the additional time away from work left them far better able to manage other commitments and family time.

As an aside, Ardern being interviewed this morning and interrupted by an earthquake is honestly a fantastic example of what calm and assured leadership looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Odhinn wrote: »
    Speaking for meself, I always had more energy for the four days than I used have for the five.

Yeah probably the same

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Theres two threads to this thread, one is NZ based politics about which I know nothing. On the other idea, I would love a 4 day week. It's not that easy in office work though, as you would need some group to work an alternating 3 days or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,174 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My wife would love a 4 day week. She worked 3½ days last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It all just seems like one big rush to consume everything at the moment. Why not just slow everything down so we all work less? Things may not be open as much but then we wont spend as much, and may even spend more time with friends and family!
    I think we should be gearing towards this instead of hell bent on consuming everything on the planet which is our current trajectory.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

salmocab wrote: »
    They still pay tax on the 80%!

It's not as straightforward as saying 100% becomes 90%

You need to work through the tax rates - if it is 33% and to keep it simple, lat's say that's across all income, then you start with 100% less 33% or 67%

You end up with 80% less 33% or 53.7%

Reduction = 1 - (53.7/67) or 20% of net income

That does reduce because of allowances and lower rates, but essentially 20% off the gross is not too far away from 20% of net, particularly for the higher paid

Only if you pay tax on the "top 20%" of your income does it become a matter of 20% off gross = 10% off net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

It all just seems like one big rush to consume everything at the moment. Why not just slow everything down so we all work less? Things may not be open as much but then we wont spend as much, and may even spend more time with friends and family!
    I think we should be gearing towards this instead of hell bent on consuming everything on the planet which is our current trajectory.

Irish people actually save a lot. The problem with reducing consumption is that one man's spend is another man's income. Not consuming very much is where we are in covid, and it might be that we never go back to previous forms of expenditure and that might mean permanent unemployment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭circadian

paw patrol wrote: »
    did she?:
    her kneejerk reactions smack of a complete power hungry freak. Mere possession of Brenton Tarrants manifesto can get you 10 years in jail.
    She has decided what the people may read or not.

doesn't sound too great to me

Although on topic the 4 day week does sound better, I'd defo get more done

Such a strange post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

paw patrol wrote: »
    did she?:
    her kneejerk reactions smack of a complete power hungry freak. Mere possession of Brenton Tarrants manifesto can get you 10 years in jail.
    She has decided what the people may read or not.

doesn't sound too great to me

Also hope ppl do know how much she's paid by comparison with other world leaders - not sure she's worth the money tbh - last year she was 7th, just after Angela Merkel :)
    banie01 wrote: »
    As an aside, Ardern being interviewed this morning and interrupted by an earthquake is honestly a fantastic example of what calm and assured leadership looks like.
    Do you know any kiwi who's not used to quakes? cause I don't (they have them all the time), so I am not looking that much into it (the leadership part) from this point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

mariaalice wrote: »
    I knew someone who went there in the 1980s and they perceived parts of it to be poorer than Ireland at the time.

Funnily enough, I read an article on something similiar where a Kiwi lad moved to Co Limerick and said Ireland reminded him of NZ 20 or 30 years ago. Of course, if he was living in one of the cities instead of Castleconnell, he probably would have had a different outlook.
    mvl wrote: »
    Do you know any kiwi who's not used to quakes? cause I don't (they have them all the time), so I am not looking that much into it (the leadership part) from this point of view.

She held her composure well, but yeah, that was the first proper earthquake I've experienced (my heart was jumping out my mouth) and when I went into work, there wasn't really much discussion over it, even though it was the biggest one in a few years.

Advertisement